Molasses Mixing Quantities

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
Hello.
What amounts of Molasses are people using in their mix. Now I'm not talking about the runny stuff you buy nicely packaged in a tackle shop the stuff I'm talking about is the thick stuff you buy from a Agri Store the stuff farmers use in cattle mixes and so on.
To get things rolling I dissolve 250ml of the stuff into 1200ml of rain water then add this to a 4kg mix of Groundbait and Leam

mikench

Reaction score
Mark Mark you need to read the T&C’s about introducing new additives to fish bait as there some on here who are very susceptible to persuasion and gimmicks . :rolleyes: :cool:;)

Never used the stuff- yet.:) I get covered with normal GB as it is without adding treacle to the mix. I do know it is used though. Is this ordinary mollasses or pomegranate mollasses?

peterjg

Reaction score
Molasses turns ground bait very dark but this is misleading - the colour leaches quite quickly from the ground bait leaving the ground bait on the bottom in its original colour.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Do you use it much yourself Phil

I actually haven't used it for ages. I bought a 5ltr bottle which I used with crumb and corn. Works well especially for bream and roach. I didn't measure anything out, it was just poured into lake water during the mixing stage and left to sit. I balled it out and fished over the top.

Mark Carolan

Reaction score
I actually haven't used it for ages. I bought a 5ltr bottle which I used with crumb and corn. Works well especially for bream and roach. I didn't measure anything out, it was just poured into lake water during the mixing stage and left to sit. I balled it out and fished over the top.
Yeah I use it in my lake mixes in the warmer months.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Just an add to this topic, a few years ago when I was regularly carp stalking, I add molasses to particles ( hemp and pigeon mix) and found it made it PVA friendly, it’s something I’ve never seen mentioned elsewhere.