Mr crabtree goes "summer pike fishing" .

tortoise100

Reaction score
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He does make the odd remark about getting it back into the water quick because of the time of year etc .
Lets face it pike fishing in season would have been boring tv but I hope Mr crabtrees consonance is ok with the amount of dead pike this summer caused by all the young lads with a spinning rod no trace , no pliers etc who will be "inspired to get out there" killing pike and being put of fishing for life because of it .
Whoopee Mr crabtree , oh on another point let the kids have a chance mate seems like at least every other fish its you who lands it and all the big ones .
Still great TV and a hundred times better than that robson t**t .

paul80

Reaction score
Sorry but this is all getting a bit old now, its all been done.

Use the search option to find all the moaning thatvwentbon when the program was first aired.

There is no longer a Pike season, live with it.

terry m

Reaction score
Paul80, why do you say that there iss no longer a pike season? There is in my part of the world on many many waters.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are still plenty of club and other waters where you cannot fish for pike till the first of october even though it is no longer a bylaw of the EA.

paul80

Reaction score
Quite.

But that makes it a club or water owner rule.

I say again there is no longer a Pike season.

Whether it is right or wrong is not the issue here.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry I thought that was the issue whether it was good for the pike . I seemed to me that the majority of serious pike anglers decry the practice of summer fishing for pike and some private fisheries like Bury Hill and the trout reservoirs besides club waters they stick to the old dates.

jimlad

Reaction score
I think I'll refrain from putting an argument across on this one as it usually stirs up a hornets nest.

I pike fish in the summer months on occasion and with lures. Deads tend to be wolfed down very quickly so I don't partake in them.

I find it to be great sport, but limit myself to well oxygenated river sections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:53 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

And I am a serious river pike angler (particularly in the winter months ;) )

philblakey

Reaction score
I lure fish for pike all year, have done so for 26+ years, never had a problem.
I fish at night a lot too when oxygen levels are lower, still never had a problem.
Had 2 die on me in all, one mid winter, one in may.
Had lots of repeat captures, walk my dogs down stretches of canal that i fish on a regular basis, often the same day i've fished or the day after, never come across one i've caught that's died.
As far as i'm concerned fatalities are due to bad handling, if truth be known most lads who fish for pike are feared of them. The summer pike theory is convenient for winter pike anglers, means their pike get left alone when they're not fishing for them.
Any pike fatalities i come across are nearly always in winter and don't involve lure fishing, read into that what you want but it's true, fact not fiction and we all see examples of it year in year out.
So without spelling it out on a public forum, there are far more serious threats to pike due to pike fishing, than lure fishing in Summer.
Phil.

terry m

Reaction score
If we are honest lure fishing is the least likely to lead to deep hooking - although I have had a few pike do their best to swallow lures completely!

However there can be no doubt that pike fight so much harder in the summer, so it follows that the recovery time/process needs to be extended/managed accordingly.

BTW, does anyone really spend a lot of time deadbaiting during the summer months. i cannot recall ever seeing anglers doing this.

jimlad

Reaction score
I've not seen it...

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Tried it once for the day, my deadbaits started smelling. Prefer them to stay frozen!

philblakey

Reaction score
However there can be no doubt that pike fight so much harder in the summer, so it follows that the recovery time/process needs to be extended/managed accordingly.
Pike do fight harder in the summer, that's part of it no doubt. But for me it's still down to handling, pike are easy to handle in winter, they're sluggish and don't fight hard.
Pike in the summer fight a lot harder, they still fight hard once landed and that's where they come to grief.
Another point is that in very hot weather, pike in shallow venues like canals do virtually nothing, sport is so poor it's not worth fishing. The only worthwhile venues are cooler deeper waters, or rivers, so again not a problem as the waters either cooler, more oxygenated or both.
Phil.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Here we go again for the umpteenth time, should we or shouldn't we fish for pike during the Summer months. Since most if not all Summer piking is done with lures, let's take a look at the concerns expressed by a few.

Oxygen depletion:- it's true that pike will fight harder, and often longer at this period. My own solution to this has always been to use ''heavy gear'', ie:- rods and lines, play 'em hard, land 'em quick, and return them to the water as soon as possible, often foregoing a picture if circumstances dictate, ie:- difficult banks etc.

By following these ''basic'' principles over many years, I am convinced ''little'' damage occurs.

I do however choose my waters carefully, opting to mostly fish rivers, or stillwaters with some depth.

You may well ask, are there any situations where I wouldn't fish. Well yes there are, for example if I didn't have access to a weirpool, then I'd give fishing a miss when temperatures reached 75 degree's. But that is purely a personal choice, not so much from the pike's perspective, but the fact that personally I can't endure excessive temperatures. :D

jimlad

Reaction score
Derek I agree with you there. And weir pools or slacks next to fast flowing water are y favourite summer spots

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have any of you ever tried fishing for takes with surface lures in the summer months. Just remove the hooks from the lure you slill get the excitement of the take and the fish is not touched. I first did this many years ago with trout after I had one fish to go on my limit cut the bend off the fly and fish for takes.

jimlad

Reaction score
Tried it for pike and chub with a surface wobbler that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. Arbogast comes to mind???

Very exciting when it explodes out the water.

---------- Post added at 04:53 ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 ----------

Though I left the hooks on...

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Have any of you ever tried fishing for takes with surface lures in the summer months. Just remove the hooks from the lure you slill get the excitement of the take and the fish is not touched. I first did this many years ago with trout after I had one fish to go on my limit cut the bend off the fly and fish for takes.

Surface lures, now you're talking my language mate, it's the ultimate lure fishing experience, ''no ifs or buts''.

But there we part company I'm afraid, ''I need'' to touch the fish, feel it, if only for a second or two.

I spent years lure making, and experimenting with hook placement. The thought of removing hooks from lures just to experience the take seems ''pointless'', no pun intended.

Sorry mate but that's how I see it. :):)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Surface lures, now you're talking my language mate, it's the ultimate lure fishing experience, ''no ifs or buts''.

But there we part company I'm afraid, ''I need'' to touch the fish, feel it, if only for a second or two.

I spent years lure making, and experimenting with hook placement. The thought of removing hooks from lures just to experience the take seems ''pointless'', no pun intended.

Sorry mate but that's how I see it. :):)

Each to his own . At my age you have touched enough fish to last a life time. I get my biggest BUZZ from the take. Mind you if something really big had a strike I could be tempted to put the hooks back:) and try another pass.;)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I think some of these things are worth spelling out again occaisionally I stopped fishing for pike ( well Perch with a lure ) because I hadn't got the gear or know how to unhook them properly , and silly as it may sound , I got this info through reading forums.

terry m

Reaction score
I have to say that lure fishing on the surface can truly be an invigourating experience. And in my experience summer is the best time.

Working the lure through likely areas with huge anticipation, then a long exhale when nothing shows. Only to virtually jump out of your skin as an explosive take happens just when you least expect it.

I too need to feel the fish. Each to their own, but for me the competion ends when the the fish is safely unhooked and released carefully.

rubio

Reaction score
Most of the pike I catch, winter or summer, don't come out of the water.
Avoid using an array of large trebles, don't put the fish thro the unnecessary trauma of nets and weigh slings and potential problems can mostly be avoided.