Mullet in France

waldi

Reaction score
My wife wants to take a weeks holiday in France in the Summer.
She likes to read and is quite happy to do not much and I like to catch mullet :)
Can anyone advise on a place in France where there is mullet/estuary fishing closeby?
I'm not into walking miles along the coast with a fly rod, more of a coarse fishing approach with the float or feeder (and a chair to park my lazy asse in)

An recomendations or advice really appreciated!

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
My wife wants to take a weeks holiday in France in the Summer.
She likes to read and is quite happy to do not much and I like to catch mullet :)
Can anyone advise on a place in France where there is mullet/estuary fishing closeby?
I'm not into walking miles along the coast with a fly rod, more of a coarse fishing approach with the float or feeder (and a chair to park my lazy asse in)

An recomendations or advice really appreciated!
This may not be a lot of help, but I caught my 1 and only mullet in the Odet estuary in Quimper, Brittany. i can remember seeing mullet mostof the harbours / towns on the river we went locally. its a lovely area to go for a holiday - very similar to Cornwall. Caught on ledgered habour rag.

Philip

Reaction score
France is obviously very large & you will basically find Mullet everywhere. Depending on which part you want to visit one way to approach it is to pick a general area and then look for any rivers, bays or estuaries in that area on Google maps. Many will have holiday resorts & accommodation close by or even on the water. You can then pick one that suits your location and budget.

To be a little more specific to the west on the Atlantic coast the Gulf de Morbihan is a very nice area, it’s a huge natural bay with a wealth of holiday accommodation and excellent sea fishing for Mullet, Bass and all the rest. Being the Atlantic it can be quite wild and rugged in places.

Further South still on the Atlantic coast around La Rochelle & the Ile de Ré is another nice area with lots of sea fishing but does get very busy. The South West area holds some real whoppers.

To the South the Med Coast offers good Mullet fishing all along the coast. Obviously it’s a poplar holiday destination & very touristy. The la Presqu'île de Giens is full of backwaters, creeks & Mullet plus accommodation to suit all budgets. Again its very popular so book early.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
The estuary of the Var river in St Laurent du Var was excellent for spinning for Mullet.it was easily accessible from the carpark behind Cap 3000 but no longer. I have caught a few from there and it’s still possible to access it. Your wife can shop in Cap3000 or have lunch and you can fish. Fishing in the harbour there or Villeneuve Loubet or Antibes is no longer allowed. I once watched a group of Algerians catching at least a half dozen decent size fish from there. Near Antibes where the river Brague enters the sea is also good ( relative term() for mullet although I have only caught the red variety on the float.

waldi

Reaction score
We actually booked a place on the southern outskirts of Châtelaillon-Plage. Place right on the beach. Only info on fishing I can find concerns the type you do with a bucket and rake.

so I’ll probably just take a feeder or barbel rod for scratching (when the tides in) and spend the rest of the time seeing which of the local alcohol goes best with which local seafood ?

TimFB

Reaction score
I
We actually booked a place on the southern outskirts of Châtelaillon-Plage. Place right on the beach. Only info on fishing I can find concerns the type you do with a bucket and rake.

so I’ll probably just take a feeder or barbel rod for scratching (when the tides in) and spend the rest of the time seeing which of the local alcohol goes best with which local seafood ?
I think that part of the country near La Rochelle has tons of canals …from memory when we had a holiday down that way they are all public waters and you can fish them all with a carte de peche
From experience, just about any canal in France will have decent coarse fish in and few locals will fish for them. Most harbours in France will be stuffed with mullet…but do look up the local associations (carte de peche website lists them all) on line and do a bit of research.

waldi

Reaction score
I

I think that part of the country near La Rochelle has tons of canals …from memory when we had a holiday down that way they are all public waters and you can fish them all with a carte de peche
From experience, just about any canal in France will have decent coarse fish in and few locals will fish for them. Most harbours in France will be stuffed with mullet…but do look up the local associations (carte de peche website lists them all) on line and do a bit of research.
Great tip. Thanks.

i've been reading up a bit and the village we are in is an oyester and mussel farming place so I may change my target to Giltheads.

Apparently always chance of a big one from there :)

TimFB

Reaction score
Great tip. Thanks.

i've been reading up a bit and the village we are in is an oyester and mussel farming place so I may change my target to Giltheads.

Apparently always chance of a big one from there :)
The Gilts in France are huge? The locals near me use wishbone rigs with both hooks in the same crab?