multiplyer or fixed spool/uptide rods or beach casters?

M

michael rouse

i drastically need a better sea rod and reel.Is it normal for a fixed spool reel(the line) to inflict pain into your casting finger when releasing the line on cast?what is the difference between an uptide rod and a beach caster and multiplyer or fixed spool?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For long distance casting with heavy leads, a multiplier is by far the best. I have skinned my forefinger attempting distance cast with fixed spool reels. For short distances, a large fixed spool - bait runner is best, is fine.

A multiplier has a geared retrieve on a spool that spins on an axis at right anles to the rod. A simple mechanism releases the spool, making it revolve freely for casting. Skill is required to prevent over-runs although modern multiplies have magnetic anti-backlash devices which makes casting with this reel easier for the less skilled.

A modern fixed spool reel is the most popular fishing reel in the world. The spool remains still during casting and only turns when a fish is running against the clutch or drag.

I think that the term "drag" is a better word for what happens than "clutch" and I wish that more anglers would refrain from using the latter term. To beginners it might sound like it works like a clutch in a car. It doesn't.

The biggest drawback with modern fixed spool reels as are used for sea fishing is that because you have to hold the line across your fingers, it prevents you from putting the maximum effort into a cast.

Beach casters are designed for long distance casting from beach or shore, where often you have to get out a serious distance to contact a fish. A beach caster can be as long as 14 feet, although these things take a lot of handling by people of average physique. Personally I would prefer a 11 to 12 foot length.

Uptide rods are shorter, 9 to 11 feet and are designed for casting a lead "uptide" as it were out of an anchored boat. They make ideal rods for rock fishing where you do not have to cast very far. They are excellent for playing big hardfighting fish.

J

jason fisher

if it feels like it's going to cut the end of your finger off you're doing it right.

things you could try with the fixed spool are
to put electricians tape round your casting finger where you hold the line,
or cut the finger off a pair of rubber gloves and tape that on to your casting finger.
if your rich cut the finger off a pair of leather gloves and tape that on.

get some elastic make a loop big enough to go round your wrist and fasten together with press studs, sew 2 pieces of elastic onto this to go down to the end of your finger, make a finger shaped piece of leather, sew onto the end of the 2 elastic pieces.
fasten the wrist band round your wrist, you can then slip on and off the finger cott as you want.

J

jason fisher

if you've never used a multiplier before be prepard for trouble, until you get used to setting up the drag correctly you will get into all sorts of tangles.
if you can, go with some one who knows exactly what they are doing with it and get them to show you how.
the up side of a multiplier is you will cast further once you have learned how to use it.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have been using multiplying reels since my early teens and it really is not all that difficult to learn to use them.

The secret is throw high, initially with short casts in an overhead style. Work up gradually for maximum distance and set the mag drag fairly high at first.

When you get to a certain level of proficiency you will find yourself turning the mag drag right off.

Ian Pickering

Reaction score
Fixed spool reels are a lot easier to use at night. If you are going to chuck a lead using a f/s reel you must screw the drag down as hard as you can otherwise the line will slip and cut your finger to the bone. There are trigger release systems available that are effective and cut out all the faffing around with bits of tape and gloves. On the rare occasions that I use a f/s I have a piece of nylon webbing whipped to the rod which I fold back over the line and grip with my forefinger.
If you buy a multiplier get lots of practice during the day and whack your thumb down on the spool as the lead hits the water. Before you fish with it put heavy oil or even grease in the bearings, this will help to slow the spool down and reduce the chance of an over-run and subsequent bird's nest.
I would also advise buying as good quality as you can afford. Cheap multipiers are usually junk, the Penn 525 is worth a look and easy to use.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Can you still get a ABU 10,000 C?

Best of the lot if you ask me.

I've still got mine which I bought in 1969.

T

Terry Edmonds

multiplier reels are best controlled with correct oils rather than relying on mag control ;0)

You can buy a finger stool for fixed spool cast from hinders carp bait suppliers (i think they are in the links)

a smooth casting style helps stopping crack offs, with a multiplier.

i agree though it does help, if you can go with somebody who knows about multipliers, they are worth the effort a lot nicer to use than 'mangles'

J

jason fisher

my last post did sound a bit off putting didn't it. don't let me put you off them i have one and use it every time i go beach fishing.
they just need to be used correctly and to do this takes a bit of practice.
trying to use one by your self with no experience is a recipe for a birds nest first cast.
where as if you've got a mate that knows how to set it up problem solved. there's nothing worse than turning out with lovely new reel never used before setting it up as you think is correct putting out your first cast and then going home to un pick the mess, i know i did it my first time.

Jon Harper

Reaction score
Gents,

You've just made my mind up for me! I'm also looking to purchase a new rod/reel combo and am considering the Penn Extreme V-3 or the Penn Powerstick Surf (the surf takes mag or FS). I am definately buying a mag with my combo whichever rod I choose! Thanks for the good advice. With reference to the rods, anyone used/have any views on these rods? I'm after a 3pc as my brother in law lives on the beach in the US and I can't miss an opportunity like that can I!

martin close

Reaction score
Michael

I use a multiplier (or baitcaster in OZ), the trick is to sit at home in front of the TV with the reel on a short section of rod with a weight on the end, just release the spool and let the weight drop, just before it hits the cat put your thumb on the spool and stop it, continual practice makes it become habit and will help you control your cast. I use mine primarily for lure fishing, the Shimano series are tops in my book.
Martin

martin close

Reaction score
Michael
The ones i use in Oz are called the Calcutta series, numbers 200 and 400. For smaller freshwater lure fishing i use the Shimano Bass One, this is a flatter version than the Calcutta's which look like the Abu's, but all very good

Martin