My Fishing Mate Whitehouse

Krang

Reaction score
But as a lure angler how am I supposed to feel about the show? They could have done one of the two pike episodes with topwaters, or done some perch fishing with lures. The program came from a certain perspective within fishing. For example, disparagingly referring to carp methods as "techno fishing" and then pointedly going and catching a carp with a simpler method. While I 110% agree about the bream, I don't share the perspective of the show. It wasn't inclusive of my style of fishing and therefore I think I'm reasonable in my criticism. The top gear formula: a car show that mostly consists of mates mucking about, isn't the issue. Mates could muck about with lures just as much as with floats and flies.

Krang

Reaction score
Being honest now, i'd rather watch Bob falling over than watch that garbage. The music/racket was too much.
My point is that lopwater lure fishing is a method that is particularly suited to TV.

Krang

Reaction score
In the more inclusive version of Top Gear formula fishing media that I'm suggesting, you guys are all James May.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
But as a lure angler how am I supposed to feel about the show? They could have done one of the two pike episodes with topwaters, or done some perch fishing with lures. The program came from a certain perspective within fishing.

Only you can answer that question . . . . as to content the choice obviously reflects what the directors and participants believe to be the predominant market . . . . and despite your protestations to the contrary, I personally don't see a profusion of lure anglers on my local venues. In fact only on rare winter occasions might I see a solitary pike angler on the Avon fishing lures.

Krang

Reaction score
Only you can answer that question . . . . as to content the choice obviously reflects what the directors and participants believe to be the predominant market . . . . and despite your protestations to the contrary, I personally don't see a profusion of lure anglers on my local venues. In fact only on rare winter occasions might I see a solitary pike angler on the Avon fishing lures.

Well I've encountered more lure anglers than anything else whilst wandering the Thames in Oxford area.

If what you said is genuinely the case then you need to get better directors and participants because the ones you have are delusional. I've only ever encountered one guy with centrepins and he didn't have the nicest attitude to be perfectly honest.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score

Great stuff. So happy to know that Paul Whitehouse is my intellectual superior.

Wish I was so intellectual as to have a career based solely on appealing to schoolboys with puerile repetitive un-jokes.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I've encountered more lure anglers than anything else whilst wandering the Thames in Oxford area.

If what you said is genuinely the case then you need to get better directors and participants because the ones you have are delusional. I've only ever encountered one guy with centrepins and he didn't have the nicest attitude to be perfectly honest.

Centrepin reel users usually have bad attitudes, best to ignore 'em!

Krang

Reaction score
Centrepin reel users usually have bad attitudes, best to ignore 'em!
He was pulling his two rods along on a little cart. I engaged with him in the same way that I do with everyone else with a cheery "any luck?". He replied with a "No, nothing at all, is that everything?" as though my question was an impertinence. Sometimes I encounter people who respond to my cheery "any luck" with a response that indicates that they don't want interaction, in which case, fair enough, I wish them "good luck" and continue on my way. But there really was a particularly unfriendly vibe from the only centrepin guy I've ever met on the bank.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He was pulling his two rods along on a little cart. I engaged with him in the same way that I do with everyone else with a cheery "any luck?". He replied with a "No, nothing at all, is that everything?" as though my question was an impertinence. Sometimes I encounter who respond to my cheery "any luck" with a response that indicates that they don't want interaction, in which case, fair enough I wish them "good luck" and continue on my way. But there really was a particularly unfriendly vibe from the only centrepin guy I've ever met on the bank.

Centrepin users are pretty thin on the ground in the angling scene....good thing really since no one likes 'em as they all have a superiority complex!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’m getting into lure fishing and I have been watching some of the American lure fishing shows on cable. I have taken a few things from them, but on the whole they make the most predictable and boring television. Cruise slowly down the river/lake, cast a lure, generally at the bank hook a bass. Winch it in as swiftly as possible. Yank it onboard or stick your thumb in its gob, chuck it back and repeat for the next half hour. Watch some commercials and then see the same program again, possibly with some different faces, dull,dull, dull. I would far rather watch two old duffers reminisce and catch a nice range of species using using a variety of methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed the shows and my wife watched them as well.

My only caveat is that it is VITAL in my book to catch the fish. With salmon it's a bit different - 10,000 casts and all that - but it would have immensely improved the grayling, Throop perch and crucian programmes if we'd seen then actually catching one in each case, all beautiful fish.

theartist

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed the shows and my wife watched them as well.

My only caveat is that it is VITAL in my book to catch the fish. With salmon it's a bit different - 10,000 casts and all that - but it would have immensely improved the grayling, Throop perch and crucian programmes if we'd seen then actually catching one in each case, all beautiful fish.

VITAL Really? I'd say the opposite in that it's very important to show that when taking a nooby out fishing for certain species on wild, albeit select venues, it happens that you don't get the target fish every time, therein lies the mystery and the persistence needed to succeed and that fun can still be had when you fail.

steve2

Reaction score
VITAL Really? I'd say the opposite in that it's very important to show that when taking a nooby out fishing for certain species on wild, albeit select venues, it happens that you don't get the target fish every time, therein lies the mystery and the persistence needed to succeed and that fun can still be had when you fail.

I am quite use to not catching what I am fishing for and can never remembering spoiling my days out. In fact some of my best days out have been blanks.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Coming soon with no expense spared - The Complete Blankers.

Episode 1 - Cornish burbot on the Bude Canal
Episode 2 - Largemouth bass on the Thames at Oxford
Episode 3 - Hutchen on the Rochdale Canal
Episode 4 - Piranha fishing on the Trent....

rayner

Reaction score
I said on more than the odd occasion that I have a dislike of anything fishing on film.
To my astonishment, I really enjoyed the gone fishing films mostly because they have more to them than a fishing programme. Just two bloke chatting whilst casting a line hooking a fish or two.
Our own Mark Wintel also makes a very watchable film with far less pointless music, YouTubers could learn a lot from viewing his offerings.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watched all the episodes again when I was laid up ill in bed for a week with covid, they brought warmth and comfort and the boyish humour brought a rare smile during some dark times. I'd give anything to have either Bob or Paul as fishing pals.

I've watched hundreds of lure videos and none of them hold a candle to the above and Definitely wouldn't make anything other than a disaster of a tv show. The only thing that comes remotely close are the few excellent videos from Artificial Flight.

Frothey

Reaction score
But as a lure angler how am I supposed to feel about the show? They could have done one of the two pike episodes with topwaters, or done some perch fishing with lures. The program came from a certain perspective within fishing. For example, disparagingly referring to carp methods as "techno fishing" and then pointedly going and catching a carp with a simpler method. While I 110% agree about the bream, I don't share the perspective of the show. It wasn't inclusive of my style of fishing and therefore I think I'm reasonable in my criticism. The top gear formula: a car show that mostly consists of mates mucking about, isn't the issue. Mates could muck about with lures just as much as with floats and flies.

Paul is often shown fly fishing for Pike. Any method that involves fish so stupid as to fall to methods involve chucking fluff or lumps of plastic around is a waste of a show tbh.

sam vimes

Reaction score
John,
I believe that Bob Mortimer may not have fished as a youngster. However, are we ever likely to see Gone Fishing take in a venue that might reasonably be considered as Bob's "home" patch? I know that you've been to the Ure, but the lower Tees, the Leven, or even the Swale around Richmond might be appropriate. Whether it might include any really interesting fishing is another matter entirely, though the Ure session wasn't overly blessed by the presence of fish!

Here's the answer to my own question, a Christmas Special.