Nantwich AS - The Best Just Got Better

Wombat

Reaction score
Can i thank Graham and Fishing Magic for this piece on the site. Like most people realise running a club is extremely hard work and its really nice when you get articles like this. The response with enquires for new membership is amazing and just goes to prove if you can offer something different at a great price people will respond by joining a new club. Its not easy and i have spent most evenings for the last month or so putting it all together so hopefully now I will find some time to be on here and get out fishing too.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words but it isn't me you should thanking. The author of the article, EC, deserves all the credit for singing the praises of a well-run local club.

FM is pleased to publicise any news and articles about any angling club. It may not make the 'headline' area of the site but it will start life on the home page and have a link to the forum for discussion.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
We occationally go shopping in Nantwich...I sneak off to walk the Weaver. Nice to see a small chub expanding.

Bluenose

Reaction score
It's a lovely little town with excellent parking for fishing Bob.

I think the card exchange scheme is an excellent idea I wonder how feasible it might be for clubs in the south to have a reciprocal arrangeent with a club in the north or midlands. It would be brilliant for the travelling angler or anglers on holiday.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Much as it would be a great idea for the visiting angler to have a reciprocal arrangement, my local clubs would lose out on the revenues from day tickets that generally cost the same or more than the Nantwich ANNUAL fee. In other words you'd suddenly find that Nantwich had a load of new members with BOURNEMOUTH addresses!

Bluenose

Reaction score
I think it is a good idea, especially for clubs of a similar (small) size and membership. Although in all fairness Mark the clubs in the north west rarely offer day tickets, so that revenue stream is very much a rarity in these parts.

preston96

Reaction score
Didn't the Tern throw up big roach sometime in the past?.........i think it did?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Paul I haven't got a clue mate. I believe it's renowned for chub now, but it's never been a river that has had a lot of press in the past unlike the Severn, Ribble, Dane etc.

How long back are you talking?

preston96

Reaction score
Mid to late 70's i think mate.......something in the brain cells about me doing a recce up there, possibly just driving up in the close season to have a look.

We used to do a lot of that then.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Where dose the Tern flow into...? We actually went Nantwich shopping today (via Stapely) and found a war in action. Worriers carrying pike staffs gathered in town square, then martch off across road to banks of Weaver to fight to the death till pubs opened...lol.

Wombat

Reaction score
Where dose the Tern flow into...? We actually went Nantwich shopping today (via Stapely) and found a war in action. Worriers carrying pike staffs gathered in town square, then martch off across road to banks of Weaver to fight to the death till pubs opened...lol.

Robert every year they have a re-enactment of the battle of Nantwich from 1644. The sealed knot come with the Royalist and Parliamentarians troops and the battle commences. I was down watching it myself and its really good to watch.

Courtesy of the Battlefield trust here is some background information as to what happened

Battle of Nantwich
25th January 1644

By the end of 1643 the Royalists had achieved considerable success in the North West, securing all of Cheshire with the exception of Nantwich, where the parliamentarian garrison held out under siege. The Northern Association forces had retreated on Hull after their defeat by the royalists the previous summer at Adwalton Moor, but now Sir Thomas Fairfax advanced to the relief of the town, marching with some 5,000 troops of out of Lincolnshire.

Fought on the 25th January, Nantwich was the first battle of 1644. It was a substantial victory for the parliamentarians. Nantwich was relieved, the royalist domination of Cheshire was over, royalist artillery and the baggage train was captured and several senior royalist officers taken prisoner. It marked the beginning of the recovery of the parliamentarian cause in the North. For Fairfax himself it was an important step on the ladder which, by April 1645, would bring him command of parliament's New Model Army. However, the overwhelming lesson from Nantwich, if such a lesson were needed, was the influence of terrain upon the nature and outcome of battle.

KEY FACTS

War period: The Civil Wars
Outcome: Parliamentarian victory
County: Cheshire
Place: Henhull / Nantwich / Acton / Hurleston

Terrain: enclosed fields / settlement

Date: 25th January 1644
Start: mid afternoon
Duration: approximately 2 hours

Armies: Royalist: commanded by Lord Byron; Parliamentarian: commanded by Sir Thomas Fairfax
Numbers: Royalist: circa 1,000 cavalry, 2,500 infantry; Parliamentarian: 1,800 cavalry, 500 dragoons, 2,500-3,000 infantry

Losses: Royalist: 200 killed, 1,500 captured; Parliamentarian: few

Its nice to think when you are fishing on the banks of the Weaver what happened closeby in history.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
£10.00p a year membership is just incredible for the fishing that as a member you get to try out, even if you only fished it a few times a year, it is still a very affordable bargain.

Once i have settled in to my new job i will certainly be registering for a membership.

Keep up the excellent work with the Club.