Nearly Jumped Out Of My Skin!!

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Well, I hope everyone is enjoying the fishing, this sunshine autumn has certainly been good for us. I wonder how many of you have come in contact with the following and hows best to deal with it whilst remaining polite. There I was yesterday locked into watching the tip, enjoying the sunshine with a slight breeze in the air when suddenly from behind me a voice boom out, "doing any good,?" Well not for the first time I nearly jumped out of my skin, craned my next back to see it was someone I didn't know and ended up in a five minute conversation I didn't want. Back to the fishing, and half an hour later another booming voice from the background. Didn't jump this time but got engaged in a conversation where I was again asked how I was doing. When I mentioned I had had a slow morning the said boomer took the queue to get his phone out and give me a blow by blow picture account of what he had caught as if it was a kind of competition. Now don't get me wrong, I know that we have a social element to fishing but I have noticed a competitive element that not only interrupts your enjoyment but is also a flaming nuisance. Anyone found a way of dealing with the interruption. I am beginning to think it might be better to tell one and all and whoever that you have done brilliantly as this statement always seems to have the effect of them sodding off quickly.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
I sometimes listen to an audio book on my mobile via earphones and when someone tries to start an unwelcome conversation I just say that I'm listening to a book and don't want to lose my place. Often I just wear the earphones...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I actually don't mind, I suppose I have just got used to it and accept it is part of the hobby. Sometimes I have had a good conversation, sometimes with another angler and glean some knowledge so it is not all bad. I doubt many are like me but your fishing in a public space so the public are going to be there. True I don't think I have had a "boomer" etc. but the odd one does irritate, if that is the case I just let them know by the tone of my voice that the conversation is over. A grumpy monosyllabic yes and no to the conversation I find that usually works, it remains in the realms of politeness as well.

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Just another day if you fish some places, for example every trip on canal for me, here's my latest blog post, sometimes it's never dull and it's best to see the funny side of these interruptions as there will be plenty of peace in between, much more than you realize.

trottingdowntheriver.blogspot.com - A Funny Old Day On The Canal
I enjoyed that, thank you. I do not envy you those rodents.

Generally, I don't mind human voices in my vicinity when I'm fishing. However, a loud bovine cough behind me, will almost give me a coronary.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

John Aston

Reaction score
Much as I enjoy my solitude when I fish I think it's a discourtesy not to be asked the obvious question by other anglers, or passers by . I nearly always ask , and often enjoy an interesting chat . The software on this site won't let me properly describe my views on the grunts and monosyllables I get from a minority . Do they think I am out to steal their secrets ?

steve2

Reaction score
I have struck up conversations on the bank with anglers and none anglers and some have lead me to some good fishing. In one case an invite to have a day on a otherwise private water.

rayner

Reaction score
No, I have enough trouble concentrating never mind being interrupted by strangers who feel the need to chat. Mind you since the pandemic folk do not come too close. That is one plus.
By fishing close in as I do sky liners are a pain in the arris. I expect lurkers to start again before too long.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
All I need do is break into broad Yorkshire?
snigger-dog 2 hd.gif

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad to hear that many of you are on a similar vibe and yes it is true that great things can lead from a chat. Now, interestingly, I find the boomers OK when I have had a good day, but when I've had a day of missed bites, pulls and snaps those words, "Doing Any Good," feel like a rub. Now if I have been doing good, I've already taken that relaxed pose, rod in rest smile on the face, but when I haven't been "doing any good?" I am sitting bolt upright staring at the tip with one eye on the circles around me. So, I have come to the conclusion, the best answer to the question is, "Yes mate, absolutely fantastic, how about you?" The other thing is (and this is the worse, even worse than the boomers) when the said boomer themselves engages you in a load of claptrap about the 100lb Carp he caught in the very spot you are sitting and being so overwhelmed by the sheer greatness of it all you miss the only blooming bite you've had all day. I'm gonna make up a sign, "Boomers Beware, not had a bite for several hours!"

John Aston

Reaction score
There's a serious point too. Every angler is an ambassador for the sport and I don't miss the opportunity to create a good impression for a sport which is not often understood by non anglers . I often fish places where I am unlikely too see a soul but when I fish on canals , especially, I expect to be asked what I've caught , what I'm fishing for and whether I kill what I catch . Most people are largely unaware of what lives under water and it's been a pleasure to show genuinely curious kids, mums and dads a perch or pike I've just caught.

I'm no saint but a bit of good PR for who we are and what we do is far better than a monosyllabic grunt . And don't get me started on the so called anglers who eff and blind loudly in public to show us what tough guys they think they are .....

Reaction score
I just speak French if I'm not in the mood.

That would be enough to piss anyone off...???

It is great to see the Victor Meldrew syndrom is alive and well in angling,miserable,sad old farts sitting scowling at people being sociable,it would be different if they were dressed brightly on the skyline,or scuffing their feet,but...