Nearly Jumped Out Of My Skin!!

Keith M

Reaction score
I have no problems with passing the time of day with passing folk however I do insist on them keeping relatively low and not causing too much disturbance to the fish.

Keith

theartist

Reaction score
Its weird as last week I had a spot to myself had a lovely day but found myself a bit down and depressed that night, it was too easy and too quiet, fast forward a week and whilst it was chaos at times there was plenty of banter and everyone was friendly and said hello etc. The fishing was more of a challenge too. The former would be like posting on an empty forum with no replies to going back to the lighthearted normality of emoji central.

Captain Skyline is the ultimate though, you have to draw a line there as there's no excuse if it's another angler. It would be ok if he wore a cape and had a big C on his chest, with the other three letters written much smaller of course ;)

rayner

Reaction score
What really gets up my back is a simple fact if these lurkers are anglers that have time to walk banks then why don't they fish. If they do not want to fish they should fish off.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I must be Mr Polite. I fish a couple of waters where the public have access and during the course of the day on one of them, people often come up and ask how I’m doing or what’s in here? I always respond politely. They aren’t to know that they are the thirty fourth person to ask you that morning. Everyone I have met so far has been polite and pleasant. In a way you are an ambassador for your club. In fact swearing or being impolite to the paying visitors could cause the club to lose the water.

If someone responded rudely to a polite enquiry from me they would get their future read to them in no uncertain terms. The only time I was a bit rude that I can recollect was when I was fishing the river Ifron in Wales and a ruddy great mastiff came lumbering over and tried to cock it’s leg over my rod bag. Without looking around I gave the brute a good poke with my landing net handle and said loudly;”Sort your bloody dog out will you.” As I looked over my shoulder the owner was approaching and he was the biggest Hells Angel I have ever seen. He must have been about six, six and built like an outhouse. He couldn’t have been more apologetic or nicer, which was handy, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
The times ive gone for a walk,had a chat after putting 10 pouches of bait in,returned after half an hour and bagged up,sometimes flogging your peg,plus regular casting kills it stone dead,you ought to try it,often the only time continual feeding works is when the fish are made to feed and get caught...

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
The breaking wind bit is interesting. Maybe one of those machines in the bushes with a small controller. Getting going as the boomer appears on the horizon. That should warn em off!

Keith M

Reaction score
Why is it that some great Angler’s like Ivan Marks don’t have any problems with people talking to them while they are fishing?

I fished a small river (upper Lea) directly behind Ivan when he was fishing a match in the lake at WGC once and without being asked he turned around and fashioned me a float from his box to suit my swim perfectly he and even gave me a pint of his maggots when I was short of them. And all while he was on his way to being placed in an open match.

Another time a young lad was introduced to him by one of the match officials while Ivan fished another open match on the WGC lake and all through the match he was continuously explaining to the young lad what he was doing and why he was doing it. He was a true gent.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ah Keith,but if it hadn't been the great Ivan,he would have been a know it all,venue expert,we must remember that some people know best when they actually know very little,these people don't want helping,even though they need it most....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am still not that bothered by people talking to me, especially sea fishing but that is a bit different I know. If I approach someone myself I always remember to duck low or stay well back but then I am an angler but, I put up with it if it as a non angler, I have probably stood up quite a few times anyway. Noisy stupid uncaring other anglers who are fishing in my vicinity annoy me more than the general public who by and large are just inquisitive friendly folk. Its just all part of the mix really to me but, I understand not all other anglers are so much take it as it comes as me.