nearly twenty years

Reaction score
after a long long break I find myself back to fishing; at heart it never left me.

I enjoy mixing traditional and contemporary methods e.g. using 50yr old rods and reels with modern techniques; vintage tackle is not only enjoyable to use but it is a great conversation starter (and stopper lol) and a great investment you can enjoy; try enjoying a building society account lol

I am unsure of the sheer commercial weight of fishing today: commercial fisheries, umpteen gimmicks, eternal new tackle launches but horses for courses and each to their own; it means that I have still much to grasp re modern techniques.

I am from a mixed background of coarse,fly and sea, nowadays mostly the first; I used to be a tournament pendulum caster of no particular note but 15/20 years after my last cast over grass I find I can still do it over the sea i.e. blast a lead a long way. Perhaps or perhaps not useful in today's long range carping; whilst a full pendulum may not be the most best or most practical technique on a confined bank I can at least extend the casting arc to make a nice casting action i.e. get the terminal tackle accurately a long way easily.

This seems a great site much nicer than some of the photographic sites I am sometimes found on and a few friendly replies to one or two of the posts I have made.

Currently fishing and catching (at very close range) a few of one of my favourite fish: Tench... a glorious Summer fish :)

Peter.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Hi Peter.
As long as you enjoy what you are doing, then no worries. Over the last 20 years we have got poles, method feeders, pellets and bollies. Almost everything carp, but not quite.

This is a good site, plenty of articles and tips. A good crew who are always up for a laugh.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your kind replies and welcomes to me :)

Most of my casting these days is the laid back variety i.e. sitting very laid back in my chair margin fishing and so far the Tench have been very obliging :)

Peter

Last edited:
Reaction score
many thanks again for making me feel welcome :)

One of the strange questions in life is that we walk past the vast majority of people without any acknowledgement whatsoever; put a fishing rod in his/her hand and people then become in general with few exceptions the nicest, friendliest most approachable beings you can hope to meet; it doesn't matter whether they are dustmen or directors the banks of the water are a great leveller and your background just doesn't matter.

Some aspects of Angling may have changed slightly in 20 years but not the sheer approachability of the angling community :)

Peter

Last edited: