Need advice on a float rod

clutch

Reaction score
Hey,

I have been really enjoying my first season on the Severn, and I would like to try my hand at float fishing/trotting.

I could use some advice on the type of rod that I will need. I don't want to spend a fortune if possible. I would like to have a rod that can cope with barbel, and yet can be enjoyable to use when catching, chub, perch, roach etc. So, a bit of an all-rounder.

Would be grateful for any advice, even if its not about a specific brand/model.

Thanks guys.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Finding a rod that is entirely comfortable at either end of the spectrum is going to be nigh on impossible. A rod that's perfect for small silver fish is unlikely to be much use if a dirty great barbel turns up. Likewise, a rod that's perfect for barbel is unlikely to be much fun if you get into a shoal of dace. Try to avoid specimen float rods that may be too much for the smaller stuff and really light actioned rods that will give you little chance with bigger specimens.

Most modern "match" rods tend to fall somewhere in the middle anyway. Look for something that's at least 13' long. Longer can be an advantage if you've got the room to use it, or if the depths are getting close to 13'. Buy with the average fish you are likely to encounter in mind rather than the biggest you might encounter. With practise, experience, patience and a dash of luck, you might be surprised at the size of fish that can be landed with surprisingly light gear.

Reaction score
As said modern match rods often have a higher 'threshold' due to commercials,I have had a few doubles on my Preston excel 13ft(has a line rating up to 6lbs,not that,that is any guarantee),a rod that is pretty good for smaller species(not perfect mind),as long as it is not an out and out small fish rod it 'should' be fine.As for lengths,in my experience I wouldn't opt to trot deep pegs for barbel,so fishing swims much deeper than 10ft is unlikely,which is a bonus as I find playing good barbel on longer than 13fters becomes a task,the balance between length for control and playing is a compromise IMO.

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Loads of advice if you had searched the forum? Do a search and plenty of suggestions WILL come up.

At the cheap end Shakespeare do a 16' float rod that deals with 6lb line perfectly for about £80. Top end are Diana and Drennan.

davebhoy

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a thing for barbel trotting rods but I'm still a complete novice compared to a lot of the posters on barbel fishing world.

I'd do a google search for threads on there. If you're not already a member I'd consider joining, its a great place to get good advice.

I'd say a good compromise is a Drennan tench float, but it does depend on how big the barbel you're likely to encounter are and how small the fish are at the other end of the scale.

theartist

Reaction score
I'd go for any decent match rod/power match rod 13ft-14ft will do and target the chub and silvers on the Severn before chasing the barbel on float there. You'll probably pick up small barbel anyhow which is a good grounding for when you target the bigger ones which usually reside in the less forgiving swims

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I use a Shakespeare Mach 3 waggler rod for trotting with my pin. 6lb line rating... Had some real lumps in its time on still and flowing water, but generally comes out on top.

Sometimes it does feel like you can exert more pressure with a float rod? Or maybe its just that the application of pressure builds more slowly so you can be a bit more precise about it? Either way, a decent scrap with anything on a float rod will always put a smile on my face!

trotter2

Reaction score
I'd go for any decent match rod/power match rod 13ft-14ft will do and target the chub and silvers on the Severn before chasing the barbel on float there. You'll probably pick up small barbel anyhow which is a good grounding for when you target the bigger ones which usually reside in the less forgiving swims
That's about your best option I agree with this suggestion. Well done theartist.