Need help with my fishing rod

vapouryh

Reaction score
Hello,

I don’t know a lot about fishing. I bought a fishing rod today at a store called Jüla. The name of it is Abu Garcia Cardinal 30 RD i’m pretty sure. I went and threw the spool out but as I tried to reel it back in it just kept spinning and now I don’t know what to do and can’t reel it back in.

Much help is appreciated.
Many Thanks.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It may be as Rayner has said above, or you may not have passed the line under the bail arm. That’s the sprung wire thing at the front of the reel. RD stands for rear drag, that may need adjusting, its the knob at the rear of the reel.

mikench

Reaction score
This is a wind up and his English is as poor as his fishing. Swedes , in my experience speak better English than I do. Skratter du Loki?

vapouryh

Reaction score
It may be as Rayner has said above, or you may not have passed the line under the bail arm. That’s the sprung wire thing at the front of the reel. RD stands for rear drag, that may need adjusting, its the knob at the rear of the reel.
Thanks, the spool is fine and the line is passed, I think it’s the spool cartridge that’s not latched properly?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Latched properly ???
What have you got on the end of your line,?
The only thing I can see as a problem is your drag is not set , plus to reel in with nothing on end of line, you would have to hold line against butt of rod as reel in to put some tension on it and to stop it coiling on the spool.

rayner

Reaction score
I am tempted to agree with Mike, it is a wind-up. Realistically the only things that could be done to prevent a reel from retrieving the line have been mentioned. I will leave this to the gullible. :)

mikench

Reaction score
He doesn't know a rod from a reel. It's reel he bought not a rod . Is he still trying to recover the reel he threw in? Who cares.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
He doesn't know a rod from a reel. It's reel he bought not a rod . Is he still trying to recover the reel he threw in? Who cares.
There is a rod and reel combo under the cardinal 30 RD title.
But there are different 30 RD reels sold separately.
I agree it could be a wind up, it would be better if he provided pics.
As the saying goes " Pics,or it didn't happen"
Also what's a spool cartridge ?

mikench

Reaction score
No ídea.it may be a language problem but Swedes are generally excellent English speakers.

vapouryh

Reaction score
Latched properly ???
What have you got on the end of your line,?
The only thing I can see as a problem is your drag is not set , plus to reel in with nothing on end of line, you would have to hold line against butt of rod as reel in to put some tension on it and to stop it coiling on the spool.
Thanks for your reply, I went back to the store today and got a new rod. The man was very nice and was a past fisherman. He said the one I had bought was a crappy plastic and was quite disappointed since Abu Garcia is supposed to be a well trusted brand. The one I have now works great. Thank You for all your replies though. :)

vapouryh

Reaction score
Your english has improved !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instead of commenting on my English everytime I reply to a message, why don’t you go and help someone else or go and do something? Do you not have anything better to do?