New here, newish to fishing

The wicker man

Reaction score
Hello, I have been reading some of the posts here and gaining a lot of valuable information so I thought it would be a good idea to register and learn even more.

I fish when I can, usually at the wrong times, mostly because my water craft is not the best, I wouldnt say I was a fair weather angler, I probably go more when conditions are cold/wet/windy and maybe this is one of the reasons why my catch rate is not great.

I like feeder fishing for bream and tench and would like to learn more about carp and pike fishing.

I have recently purchased some relatively cheap rods in the black friday sale, I tried to avoid the cheapest but couldnt afford a fortune on something I dont really understand, I purchased some Blax rods and despite not being able to get the test curve I wanted I did manage to get a pair of 3.5lb test curve which as I fish large still waters I thought they wouldnt be the worst for the price, was going to pair them up with some old Wychwood rogues 6000 as I have 2 of those from my tench fishing.

Not the best set up perhaps but I hope to make do with it.

Anyway like I say my lack of water craft is probably whats going to stop me catching more than my choice of gear will.

I will continue to read posts and join in when I can and I really appreciate any feedback/criticism/words of advice, I want to learn and welcome any help whatsoever.

Thank you.

Paul.

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM.
The rods will be good for carp and pike as will the Rogues. Overgunned for those tench and bream you mention.
Have a look at the Pike Anglers web site section about handling and unhooking.
Please do not register and then disappear like many do. There is a thread called HOW DID YOU GET ON. Not just for red letter days but even blanks and lessons learnt.
Tight Lines.

nottskev

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Wet and windy can very often be the best conditions for bream in big waters. I'm curious what makes you favour going at those times. You mentioned watercraft twice - what kind(s) of things do you feel you want to know more about? We might have some ideas between us that help you get up to speed.

The wicker man

Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

I don't know what tools I would need for pike fishing, I feel I would have the confidence to handle them after watching many videos, but obviously theres nothing like actually doing it, I wouldnt want to try without first having all of the correct and necessary gear, fish welfare is as important as catching fish for me.

Regarding water craft, I dont think I make the most of what the weather is doing, or the temperature, barometer readings etc, like most people work stops me from going when I would most like to so I have to just go when I can and right now I am itching to get out but cannot until next week and if the weather is bad then (very likely) then I wouldnt know how to make the most of it and put the odds in my favour.

I understand wind matters, as does depth of water and even sunlight but I don't really know if I should be facing the wind at all times, some of time or little things like that, and then the depths that the fish will be at and where to fish for them etc etc...

So most of the time its a dry net session and I don't mind admitting that.

I know about looking for signs of fish (I rarely see any on the waters I fish) not many people fish natural venues now as it's all commercial fisheries it seems, nothing against those but they don't really appeal to me.

john step

Reaction score
You sound very keen. I would say dont over think it. Just get out and enjoy being out. It will come. Thats the important point. Bit by bit. No one knows it all.
Have a walk at dusk. You will see where the roach are because they will be topping even in the winter. Thats also where the pike and perch will be.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Hi Paul, what you have said so shows you have some good fishing senses!

These forums are wonderful tools and if you follow closely and also read some of the stories some put up I am sure it will help expand your knowledge.

For me the most important thing is "being there" - water and what creatures are in it has been a constant fascination for me since I was a kid. I think all anglers share a touch of that intrigue!

Fishing tackle is a hobby in itself - just never forget it's there to get a bait in front of a fish! Your skills will make up for tackle that is less than perfect, concentrate on that before you spend too much hard-earned cash!

I was out yesterday in foul conditions. Fortunately I know a spot where I can fish out of the back of the car - though this time I blanked! No matter, it was good just being there.....and I know there are fish in this spot at times......

IMG_20201015_190103.jpg

The chance of this is better than sitting at home dreaming!