New Outlook on Winter Fishing

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
An article that makes you want to get out there and do the same, well done.

I used to love my winter fishing when I was younger, those cold crispy mornings when for some strange reason you never felt the cold and sometimes a special day when the fish went barmy for the bait and you caught loads. One of those red letter days for me that I remember well was in the early 70's on the Severn at Eardington when, after a mile long walk we settled in on a hotspot. I caught non-stop all day long with first a wave of chub then a wave of barbel (they were much smaller in those days) and it was that cold my wellies froze into the mud and my rod rings kept freezing over. My old Dad was with us that day fishing the peg above me and that was the first and only time he ever caught barbel, he loved every minute of it except the long walk.

My bad circulation and weak ticker precludes me from fishing when it is really cold and I envy you and all those that take the trouble to fish when most prefer to sit in front of the fire, some of the best chub fishing I ever enjoyed was in the winter because they too are a willing fish even on the coldest of days.

Gary Cullum

Reaction score
New outlook on Winter Fishing

Fabulous Dave; doesn’t it just make you yearn to be out there, even in this extremely cold period. What a great sentiment: “There are many days when a six ounce dace will bring great joy and a pound perch will keep a smile on the angler's face for several hours.”

I struggled for three hours yesterday on the Colne and managed just one bite which resulted in one small dace, much less than six ounces. But at -4 degrees and a harsh ground frost, I still felt it was mission accomplished. The added bonus was the brilliant blue saluting fly past of the resident kingfisher, a Little Owl waiting for my return to the car park, and a most splendid Colne Valley sunset.
Gary

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Right. Bah! That's it. I can't stand it any longer. I'm going for a grayling day next week and I don't care if it is snowing!

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I too was inspired to fish smaller waters after reading "Rough Rivers & Small Stream Fishing" as a teenager. Also the early John Wilson programs got me into carrying less tackle even buying one of his waistcoats. I tend to fish local River Dane and although I can catch more & bigger fish elsewhere I enjoy fishing on quieter banks.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
What a great article. It makes me want to get down to the river. As soon as I get over my illness, which has now gone on too long, I will be there. The roach at the top of the article looks lovely and makes me want to go and catch one. I will certainly try for one from the Avon, or possibly ther Stour, as soon as possible. I have a horrible feeling that if this cold weather continues for much longer then the back end chub may not be as big as usual as they may feed less for a while so roach will be a good target. I will also be visiting the Ouse as soon as possible, but higher up river than you, and targetting perch and chub.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problem Dave, same one as before I presume. You got through it before and I'm confident you will get over it again, just think of all the fishing you will miss and maybe that will give all the incentive you need.

barbeldave

Reaction score
Hope you get well soon and are back out chevvy chasing soon Dave. I hope to be doing some upper Ouse perching just as soon as the weather warms up a bit ...

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Lovely stuff, esp. the menion for David Carl Fores, my books with illustrations by him are much treasured