New sub forum for Canal fishing?

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We've given this some thought, and while it's a nice idea there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of enthusiasm for adding more forum sections. We already have a lot! It's easy to change names etc so if something can be adapted let me know. Thanks for the idea - keep them coming :)

Kirsty

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hi everyone,

We've given this some thought, and while it's a nice idea there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of enthusiasm for adding more forum sections. We already have a lot! It's easy to change names etc so if something can be adapted let me know. Thanks for the idea - keep them coming :)

Kirsty
I have mentioned about posting day ticket waters in your area, aimed both at newcomers and members who may not know of particular waters in their area.Including canals.
Would it be possible to have a "Where to Fish" sub forum instead of canal forum ?

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have mentioned about posting day ticket waters in your area, aimed both at newcomers and members who may not know of particular waters in their area.Including canals.
Would it be possible to have a "Where to Fish" sub forum instead of canal forum ?

Yes - would others like that?

Keith M

Reaction score
I think it would be quite useful Kirsty, not only for the relative newcomer to Angling in a certain area but it would also be useful for other anglers who travel around the UK (eg. on holiday or for their work) or anglers wanting to fish matches in places they haven’t fished before etc.

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
With a separate ‘Where to fish’ sub forum you’d be able to have a separate thread for each venue (or area) and users could add tips and catches and venue nohow in each thread, and kept all together which will greatly improve the usefulness of this separate ‘Where to fish’ sub forum.

Whereas as a single ‘where to fish’ thread like the ‘How did you get on’ thread a lot of the older info about a particular venue could be missed and hidden or split up by other threads about other places; which is why I think a sub forum would be preferable to a single thread like ‘How did you get on’.

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
With a separate ‘Where to fish’ sub forum you’d be able to have a separate thread for each venue (or area) and users could add tips and catches and venue nohow in each thread, and kept all together which will greatly improve the usefulness of this separate ‘Where to fish’ sub forum.

Whereas as a single ‘where to fish’ thread like the ‘How did you get on’ thread a lot of the older info about a particular venue could be missed and hidden or split up by other threads about other places; which is why I think a sub forum would be preferable to a single thread like ‘How did you get on’.

Keith
An example would be.
Wrightington Fishery.
J27 off M6 turn right at BP garage and carry on along the road, The fishery is Mossy Lee rd Wrightington Wigan, WN6 9SA.
The fishery has an honesty box policy if no one around, put money in envelope with car reg on front of envelope, put envelope in locked box.
Facilities..... Toilets
There are 4 pools on here, 2 strip canal lakes which are divided by a central island and open ends . 20+ pegs on each one, depending on which way wind is blowing end pegs on both are ideal, along with central pegs on canal1 which is first one you come to. The other 2 pools are decent , the top one can take around an hour to get a swim going. The smaller one has swan mussels that are partial to anglers baits.
All pools have a variety of fish in them, from silvers including small 1lb barbel in the canal pools. Other fish are carp and F1's.
All the pools suit pole,waggler and feeder, The canal pools go to approx 14.5 metres wide on canal 1, canal 2 is wider in parts and some pegs are around 9' in the middle.
There are a couple of car parks so no long walks with tackle, Can use own feed pellets, a variety of baits works, including a piece of compressed donut on a hair rig, Cocoa dusted meat is another good bait on the canal pools.
Available for club matches, Day tickets are around £8

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If this is to get off the ground we need a few more venues and areas,
I know the one I did was long, and could be condensed into where,price,facilities, bait bans,, and method and stock.
There are quite a few in the north west I have fished both canals and commies and a stretch of the Ribble.

tommos16

Reaction score
Yes I agree. As a relative new comer (a year and a week into it) one of the issues I've had is where to fish, how to fish, whether I'd be welcome even (as silly as it sounds, you never want to be a rank amateur turning up at a venue where everyone else is very experienced).

And of course, half the joy is in figuring these things out yourself but sometimes a little leg up or a point in the right direction can kick start your angling and in my case, never look back

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yes I agree. As a relative new comer (a year and a week into it) one of the issues I've had is where to fish, how to fish, whether I'd be welcome even (as silly as it sounds, you never want to be a rank amateur turning up at a venue where everyone else is very experienced).

And of course, half the joy is in figuring these things out yourself but sometimes a little leg up or a point in the right direction can kick start your angling and in my case, never look back

Tom you fished partridge a fair bit recently, how did that go ?
Dont worry not everyone is venue expert on the waters you fish, and even those who are can get it wrong sometimes. Other times if things are not working, think outside of the box, I ended up winning one match by fishing a method feeder on the pole tight upto rushes on far side, it was to breezy for good presentation with a float, I knew the fish were there and went for them.

tommos16

Reaction score
Sounds like great thinking! So ive fished it extensively, mainly for carp on Holbar.

Most effective bait I've found has been Luncheon meat on the hair, helping me to land carp to 14lb (a pb for me and I'd say the average "upper stamp" for there. The 20's are very few and far between) along with Barbel to 5lb+.

Boilies (bottom baits, Tutti Frutti) have helped me land 7 carp in a day however, so it's worth keeping your option open.

Bream to 6lb have been taken on Hybrid/Method feeders with small Flouro waters ( 6-10mm) with a mix of Groundbait and pellets.

If you're looking for a mixed bag, you can do worse than heading to Pine lake with a feeder and pellets. It was a former stock pond, so they're conditioned to a pellet attack. I've had Bream, F1's, carp to 9lb and even a chunky goldfish on an out and out pellet attack.

I think now heading into winter, I wouldn't be looking past a maggot feeder with maggots or worms on the hook. You're fishing for everything that swims and with it being a predominantly match venue, with matches basically fished on every lake bar Holbar, you're giving yourself the best chance on Maggots/Casters/Worms

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven’t fished a day ticket water or commercial for about at least 15 years and maybe a lot longer as I have over 20 venues at least to fish on my two club books and I’ve only fished half of those; but I can see why it could be very useful to some, but don’t get too impatient for other venues being entered yet as it’s nearly winter and a lot of anglers are winding down a bit for the winter; but once the weather starts to improve and the temperature starts to rise again in the spring I can see this thread becoming a lot more busy.

We already have a FISHING CLUBS section under the ‘VENUE REPORTS’ section of FM so maybe we should have a DAY TICKET WATERS section under the VENUE REPORTS’ section too.
We could then keep the actual day to day catch reports in the ‘How did you get on’ thread? It’s Just a thought, so what do you think?

Keith

Last edited: