New Titan Vipers - Hot or Damp ?

A

Andy Thatcher

Hello All

Been ghosting over the last few weeks to get the gist of what goes on in the world of Fishingmagic and have finally become brave enough to dip a toe !

Let me tell you a story - up to a couple of months ago I was the proud and very happy owner of an slightly fraid round the edges Titan. After a visit from some type of rodent I am now the owner of a Titan shaped tea strainer. No problem thought I I'll pop down my local shop and scream as they tear ?300 odd from my wallet. After a chat I walked away wondering if it would be a good move "leaky seams", "keep having to send them back to Nash" and "crap build quality" were phrases bandied about. Being a bit of a cynic I tried another shop result same story. Infact both shops have stopped selling Nash stuff !
Do you own one ? Is this true ? How good is the Evolution ?

Cheers
Andy

C

Carp Angler

All the products I've bought from Nash are......
Oh I've only got one of his old groundsheets and a 50" overwrap.
When he used to make decent gear.

Too many complaints about exploding spreader blocks, leaky seams etc etc.

I know someone who waited 18 months for a canvas overwrap from him.

I hope Darren doesn't see this thread, after watching him tape up his Titan and then try to spend a wet weekend on St Johns :eek:)

D

Darren Wilson

and it still survived the session :)

I originally ordered an Evolution from Fox, and that is what made me boycott Fox gear 100%. I ordered it in the October of 99 and come Feb/Mar 2000 it still wsn't with me (I was working in the shop that it was ordered through). I phoned them constantly throughout this time and was told that it would be with me the next week!!! It still hasn't turned up at the shop to this day!!! Fox have had the money and not delivered the goods.

I bought a Viper. At the time it was the only other option, and even though I have had a couple of problems with the Block, they have been sorted out with 48 hours of calling Nash, free of charge. I wouldn't buy a shelter from any other manufacturer, and Rik knows exactly what I think of Fox and their gear :)

I know first hand that Fox and their customer service is worse than bad, as I had a problem with an ST alarm (a month old!!!) and refused to send it back to them as they quoted me 10 - 14 weeks turn around!!!! Friends of mine who live out of my area, have also suffered the same sort of problems. It seems that if you have already paid for it then that is your problem.

A

Andy Thatcher

Have heard that about Fox but they have allegedly got their act together now. I would like to buy a Titan but am put off by what I have heard as 300 sheets is a fair bit of dosh to gamble with !

C

Carp Angler

i've got a classic easy dome and its the mutz back wheels

The 5 rib is a bit bigger, if you want more room.

P

Paul Williams

Darren,
With something 1 month old you are entitled to a refund from the shop!!!theres too much of this "send it back to the manufacturer" in fishing! products have to be suitable for the purpose they are sold. Sorry mate but i get angry when any shop selling any product tells me to deal with the manufacturer....our contract is with the shop......tell em change it or refund the dosh.....it's your right!!!

D

Darren Wilson

I would have dealt with the shop in question but it was a long drive for me and it just wasn't worth the hassle of posting it back.

Andy

Try telling that to a few shops in my area that won't deal with Fox now due the supposed change of act being the same as before.

A lot of what you hear about Nash is just hear say. As with any mass produced equipment you are going to get a few that are not up to scratch, and Nash or any other company are no exception to this. Like I previously said in my other post, I won't buy a shelter from anyone apart from Nash (and I am not associated with them in any way).

L

Lawrence Mackenzie

Darren,
I have been on the wrong end of some shoddy purchases myself and wholeheartedly agree with Paul,your dealings should be with the shop you made your purchase from.
Too many tackle shops don't want to know when anything goes wrong with a product,and i wouldn't mind betting,you were'nt even given receipt for your purchase.Has anyone ever got a receipt from a tackle shop for a purchase

R

Rob Brownfield

I bought a Slippery Eel Profile Brolly off of Nash. I must confess, I am dissapointed at the quality. The side *wings* have all come unstiched. ?170 for a brolly...OUCH!
Also, how many Eels had to die to keep me dry?

A

Andy Thatcher

As a stop gap I bought a Hutchy Oval, gotta say for under a ?100 excellent bit of kit.

A

andrew jackson

I have a mk1 Titan all season, great bit of kit. My mate has had a Viper, in the non slippery Eel I should add, since they first came out. The build quality of the viper is not quite as good as my mk1 however, it isn't bad. He has been using his for around about two years, could be slightly longer. Up to now, touch wood, he has experienced no problems. All the taped seams are intact, and it does not leak. All Titans suffer from condensation, in their single skin state, could this be being mistaken for leaks?
I have spent quite a bit of time, sat drinking tea and chatting, in the Viper. If my mk1 fell to bits tomorrow, I would not hesitate in buying Mr Knash's latest offering.

D

Darren Wilson

Keep your eyes open, Andrew, as the grapevine tells me that Mr Nash has some new shelters coming out soon. That is all I know so I cannot elaborate any more.

A

Andy Thatcher

Trakker are bringing out a "Titan" style shelter in slippery eel. Difference ? They have used rivets to keep the seams together !

A

andrew jackson

Andy.
I have seen a Tracker shelter at a local tackle shop open day. Actually correction, there was two, both looked like solid bits of kit and were quite impressive. Neither looked like a Titan type set up though, one was a dome and the other was a oval overwrap type shelter. Is the shelter you are refering to, not out yet, i.e. it was none of the two I saw.

A

Andy Thatcher

I did hear this from a tackle shop owner who said he waas a field tester for Trakker. I guess we shall see. Still looking at the Evolution but my Titan was excellent.

A

andrew jackson

Andy I would not hold your breath. You would not belive the amount of "field testers" I have had the miss fortune of meeting. Although I suppose there has to be some legit ones, out there somewhere.

A

andrew jackson

Andy I was wrong. Asked around about this new Trakker bivie, it would appear that your scource was correct. Aparently it is quote "going to upset the competition". Armed with this knowlage, and in veiw of things warming up a bit I would hang fire if I was you. Things could get quite competitive in the bivie market soon.