New To Barbel, Could Use Advice On A Few Basics.

clutch

Reaction score
Hey,

After an extended break from fishing, I have decided to get back into it. Previously I fished in small pools/canals but have no experience on river fishing. I have a few questions that might seem really obvious to some, but for a new guy would be really helpful. I will be fishing the Severn at Bridgnorth.

First question is....where do I actually cast? What kind of swims should I look for? What key features hold barbel? Fish far out, or close in?

I plan to keep in simple, running rig, 2-3 foot daiwa ST 10lb hooklink with 12lb main line. Using pva bags with pellets or swimfeeder set up. What sort of weight will it take to hold bottom? Atm the river is low, but I don't know what is a good starting point.

Finally, how often should i re-cast? Is barbel similar to carp fishing where people leave there bait in the water for hours...or is it better to recast at a reasonably quicker rate to build up bait in the swim?

I would be grateful for any help, I know its a lot of questions and most of it will seem very obvious to some...but we all have to start somewhere!

Cheers

B

binka

Hi Clutch,

Welcome aboard!

Your questions raise as many questions again when you factor in all the variables.

As things stand with rivers low and fish vulnerable to both low oxygen levels and predation from above and below the surface head for the really fast water, water which you would otherwise dismiss and which provides oxygen and makes it difficult for Mr Cormorant or Otter and forget about depth altogether, use whatever you feel is necessary to hold bottom be it 1oz or 4oz and fish a hair rigged pellet on a long hooklink (4’ plus) anywhere between 10 – 14mm or a lump of meat straight onto a size 8 or 6 and either sit it out until the tip buckles over or move around to find the fish.

If you want to feed you will have to gauge the best method for that based on the distance you are fishing and the strength of the flow, either by hand over the top or via a feeder or bait dropper, whichever offers the best practical solution as it’s a purely a method of feed and not the very final part of the rig which is holding the bait, as such.

You are already spot on with your mainline and hooklink strengths as a safe measure and move around if you don’t initially find the fish, you will likely either sit it out for a straggler or land on a large number of them as there are few in betweens with conditions as they are at the moment.

Recasting frequency…

Largely depends on the method of feeding, feeder give it a good half a dozen casts to get the feed out and then wait, bait dropper put a bed of feed out and sit it out for longer but don’t overlook a straight lead where you can feed over the top and again sit it out similarly to the bait dropper.

If you find yourself fishing after a sudden deluge which leads to high water then look for the slacks and creases and adopt similar methods based on the circumstances.

If you are feeling energetic don't rule out covering multiple swims by freelining/rolling a bait through at the speed of the current, it can be very effective.

There are never any guarantees in this game and likely endless alternative approaches but I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with that and good luck with it, I hope you land on a few :)

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

Just to add:

If/When you land a fish give it plenty of time to recover in the net before even attempting to lift it out to unhook it and if possible hold it out with its head pointing into the flow to get plenty of oxygen into its gills as they will exhaust themselves during the fight.

Do the same again after unhooking, no matter how long it takes and support it by hand if necessary, until the fish shows signs of a full recovery before releasing.

Reaction score
All of Steve's post above are valid and more,with each season changes in methods 'can' occur,I remember when maggot and caster on the feeder ruled supreme,for years three maggots on a size 12/14 worked brilliantly,then one year you had to use a 16 with single maggot,you were lucky to get a bite on the older method,then you had to critically balance your feeder so it just held bottom and keep nudging it to keep it bouncing,this was when 25-60 barbel in a day was common,my best was 88,today a feeder(pellets)cast with some regularity,as to where you cast,that comes with watercraft,spotting boulders,gulleys,even glides below,or above shallows all hold fish,all the best for your fishing and welcome.:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Hello clutch welcome to FM, I don't know if you use facebook but if you do there is a page called Severn Anglers, its a good page with no falling out just stuff about Severn Barbel and I am sure that you will get some good advice from those that fish this area.

All the other stuff posted is very valid but the most important bit is the recovery of these wonderful fish that was mentioned by Steve, it cannot be stressed to much how important this is.

clutch

Reaction score
Hi Clutch,

Welcome aboard!

Your questions raise as many questions again when you factor in all the variables.

As things stand with rivers low and fish vulnerable to both low oxygen levels and predation from above and below the surface head for the really fast water, water which you would otherwise dismiss and which provides oxygen and makes it difficult for Mr Cormorant or Otter and forget about depth altogether, use whatever you feel is necessary to hold bottom be it 1oz or 4oz and fish a hair rigged pellet on a long hooklink (4’ plus) anywhere between 10 – 14mm or a lump of meat straight onto a size 8 or 6 and either sit it out until the tip buckles over or move around to find the fish.

If you want to feed you will have to gauge the best method for that based on the distance you are fishing and the strength of the flow, either by hand over the top or via a feeder or bait dropper, whichever offers the best practical solution as it’s a purely a method of feed and not the very final part of the rig which is holding the bait, as such.

You are already spot on with your mainline and hooklink strengths as a safe measure and move around if you don’t initially find the fish, you will likely either sit it out for a straggler or land on a large number of them as there are few in betweens with conditions as they are at the moment.

Recasting frequency…

Largely depends on the method of feeding, feeder give it a good half a dozen casts to get the feed out and then wait, bait dropper put a bed of feed out and sit it out for longer but don’t overlook a straight lead where you can feed over the top and again sit it out similarly to the bait dropper.

If you find yourself fishing after a sudden deluge which leads to high water then look for the slacks and creases and adopt similar methods based on the circumstances.

If you are feeling energetic don't rule out covering multiple swims by freelining/rolling a bait through at the speed of the current, it can be very effective.

There are never any guarantees in this game and likely endless alternative approaches but I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with that and good luck with it, I hope you land on a few :)

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

Just to add:

If/When you land a fish give it plenty of time to recover in the net before even attempting to lift it out to unhook it and if possible hold it out with its head pointing into the flow to get plenty of oxygen into its gills as they will exhaust themselves during the fight.

Do the same again after unhooking, no matter how long it takes and support it by hand if necessary, until the fish shows signs of a full recovery before releasing.

Wow, thanks for that. Really helpful.

Especially useful on areas of water that might hold fish, as I was at a complete loss on that subject!

clutch

Reaction score
Well.... Thanks for the help chaps. I had a short evening session at Bridgnorth tonight, just a couple of hours, caught 3 barbel and lost another. Largest weighing in at just under 8lbs.

Not too bad for my first go!