New wellie time

Aknib

Reaction score
It's new wellie time i'm afraid, following wet feet over the weekend i've noticed a couple of tears and cuts which look beyond repair even with the ever reliable Stormsure kit i've got in the drawer.

To be fair they've been hammered over the last seven or eight years and I occasionally walk some long distances in them, they've been like carpet slippers in terms of comfort and i've no reason to look any further afield in their replacement but before I go and splash the thick end of two hundred quid on the next eight years footwear in the form of a new pair of Le Chameau Vierzonord I thought i'd ask the question...

Any recommendations?

I tried the Chams against Aigles last time around and found little to choose between them other than the Chams felt slightly more comfortable (just my opinion) but the price tag still makes me wince even if it is still good value over the long run.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aigles for me Ste, by a country mile.
These are the ones I have, lined with neoprene. You may find them cheaper elsewhere, the link is just to show them.
Aigle make the same wellies without the neopren liners at a lesser cost.

Aknib

Reaction score
Cheers Ian, I reckon we had this conversation last time around all those years ago.

Interesting that the Aigles neoprene lining is 4.5mm and to get that on the Chams you have to buy the 'plus' version which is even more expensive than the ones I have, that could be a game changer considering the Aigles would then be around fifty quid less.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Only problem with me recommending them to you is that you might not like em so don't get them on my opinion alone Ste!

I can only say how i've found them, and in all honesty, appart from my studded royal hunters from my youth the aigles have been superiour to any others ( the aigles are prolly better really). I had to replace my first pair because I had a habit of putting a hand on a fence post and standing on the top strand of barbed wire as I jumped over it and as the soles had worn down through an estimatwd couple of thousand miles of walking in them one of the barbes on the wire penetrated it and it began to leak.

I wear the aigle (unlined) rubber thigh waders and they are also excellent!
No doubt the lined versions would be great in winter but I just wear a long pair of warm socks instead.

waldi

Reaction score
Aigles for me Ste, by a country mile.
I've had the Aigle parcours iso (neoprene lined) for about 5 years.
Been outside the back door exposed to all temperature extremes and still no cracks or holes and look good.

Not really cheap but great boots (y)

rob48

Reaction score
Aigles Parcours for me. Especially if you do a lot of walking, they're the most comfortable wellington I've ever had. I'm on my second pair now but the first pair lasted so well I can't actually remember when I first bought them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never bothered taking any care of my wellies and waders other than slam them together to remove mud.
I think I should have done though. On my latest pair of aigle thigh waders I noticed how slimy they were to touch and realised they were coated with something. When I walked out of the river the water literally fell off them.
Anyhow, i'm sure you can buy the stuff to spray or wipe onto your wellies to help feed it, maybe similar to leather care.
Gotta be worth a look, i'm sure I saw it for sale on aigles own web page where I got my latest waders from. Wierd as the aigle web page was cheaper than anywhere else!

silvers

Reaction score
Aigle or le Chameau ... whichever fits the foot better.
Knock spots off every other make ... price per wear is better than the competition, simply because they last so long.
I’ve found Uttings prices to often be very competitive, although they no longer stock le chameau.

sam vimes

Reaction score
On my latest pair of aigle thigh waders I noticed how slimy they were to touch and realised they were coated with something. When I walked out of the river the water literally fell off them.
Anyhow, i'm sure you can buy the stuff to spray or wipe onto your wellies to help feed it, maybe similar to leather care.
It's likely to be some form of silicone preparation. Most of the boot manufacturers have their own concoctions, at a price.

Le Chem.
Aigle.
Hunter.
Then there are aftermarket preparations from others. These aren't necessarily cheap either.
Grangers.
Joules.
Kaps.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's likely to be some form of silicone preparation. Most of the boot manufacturers have their own concoctions, at a price.

Le Chem.
Aigle.
Hunter.
Then there are aftermarket preparations from others. These aren't necessarily cheap either.
Grangers.
Joules.
Kaps.

I'm not sure what concoction it is, but, as you say I don't think it's cheap. I did mean to get some after I got my last pair of waders and noticed how slick he rubber was, just out of curiosity really, but never got round to it.

Just clocked it on google, not as expensive as I thought, price varies from place to place but this seemed reasnable..