NEW World Record Carp!!!

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Wearing only a T-shirt and trousers, he jumped in his boat and motored 200 yards out to the fish and began reeling it in.
I don't follow this bit!!!
I'll be lucky to have 200 yards of line my reel.
Great and good luck, huge fish but I'm not sure about the method of reeling in and landing of the fish.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hmmm?
I'd like to hear Martins account of the events, I think they might be 'slightly' different to the 'rags'.....

Good on him, it don't float my boat, but it does his, so fair play to him and congratulations.

bill2

Reaction score
I'd swim a measured mile stark ******* naked if that's what is needed! Fortunately, you can't always just stick a rod down the side and expect! Do the hard work in realising what is required, and then do it! I'm a bit saddend that you have so quickly undermined someone who has done so. I may be wrong, but i'm fairly sure this awesome fish wasn't in my local pond!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm a bit saddend that you have so quickly undermined someone who has done so. I may be wrong, but i'm fairly sure this awesome fish wasn't in my local pond!

Re-read my post Gill, sent my congrats to him, it was the 'rags' account of the story that concerns me! 'Rowed 200 yards' Why? Did it snag him? If it did his ticker must have been doing overtime!!!

Congrats to the geezer.

It don't float my boat cos that's not what I do, I'd swap his carp for a 2lb river roach....That's what floats my boat :)

bill2

Reaction score
My reply was more influenced by Wobbly Faces comment than yours :) And I only meant that due to the nature of the location, or an unwanted snag or weed, i suspect his boat trip, in a state of undress, was an unwelcome necessity! ;p

Philip

Reaction score
It is a very impressive fish and with a frame like that it looks like it could be the first to make the ton. Well done Martin Locke...there is no doubt he is a terrific angler as his record over the years speaks for itself. Nice to see an English angler holding the world record as well. Also good to see it making news outside the usual angling channels...I saw it reported on Yahoo for example in a positive light ...this can only be good for angling.

As Steve says however its not my cup of tea either. I would rather catch a smaller fish from a wild venue....but thats not to pour scorn on anything, just my opinion.

About the method of reeling it in, I am guessing the reason he got in the boat and rowed out to the fish was because that has become something of a Norm for quite a few people fishing on the continent. When they get a run they row out to get above the fish as that way there is less chance of losing it on a snag. I dont know Rainbow lakes or if its permitted but many anglers now place their hook bait and ground bait from a boat as well, sometimes at huge distances using big capacity reels which may explain the 200meters.

To be honest I get the feeling that on many occasions anglers enjoy a boat trip even if its not always needed....although I dont know the circumstances in this case.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I rarely fish for Carp these days, but that fish is magnificient, and well done to the angler.

Sitting it out for a week in negative temperatures for one bite requires a lot of dedication, and while it is not what a lot of anglers could, or would, do these days, one has to admire him, and that fish.

I did have a little chuckle though at the headline: "Man catches carp the weight of Kylie Minogue" firstly I didn't know that she was so tiny, and secondly, I wondered how many of our contributors would have preferred to 'catch' the young lady rather than the Carp?

I had been thinking about a trip to Rainbow Lakes in the summer, maybe I'll do more than 'thinking' about it now . . . .

Frothey

Reaction score
A pic for those who can't be arsed to click the link

article-1263200602277-07CF9E03000005DC-257670_636x385.jpg

I think you'll find it's booked up a couple of years in advance Peter. Rainbow does need some "specific" techniques, it's a very, very snaggy lake with huge bars.

rainbowlake.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It don't float my boat cos that's not what I do, I'd swap his carp for a 2lb river roach....That's what floats my boat :)

Mine too....I never have had even the slightest inclination to fish for big carp but I admire the dedication & sheer innovation of those that do.

In the meantime I'll stick with the easy stuff...big river roach ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you'll find it's booked up a couple of years in advance Peter

Thanks for the 'heads up' Dave, in that case I had better make the earliest booking I can, or maybe hope for a cancellation . . .

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 08:27 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

In the meantime I'll stick with the easy stuff...big river roach

Ouch!

Love it . . . .did you see that Seve??????

Catfishingham

Reaction score
I aplawd the angler and his catch, but does it qualify for a record?
In my home state of Ohio a record fish has to be weighed on cerified
scales, such as at a meat market or other business. This can be a problem, as the business may not open for hours, or be a good distance from the swim.
What requirements would he have had to meet in order to qualify the fish
as a world record? What organizatons rules does it meet, IGFA etc..

Tight lines,
Cat

Philip

Reaction score
I aplawd the angler and his catch, but does it qualify for a record?
In my home state of Ohio a record fish has to be weighed on cerified
scales, such as at a meat market or other business. This can be a problem, as the business may not open for hours, or be a good distance from the swim.
What requirements would he have had to meet in order to qualify the fish
as a world record? What organizatons rules does it meet, IGFA etc..

Tight lines,
Cat

Hi Cat,
I dont think the fish will be an IGFA record but you may not be aware given your location that particularly with Carp fishing there is something of a sub culture which has somewhat turned its back on IGFA.

In the UK for example there is some very specific rules in order to certify a record fish...independent witnesses, fish has to be weighed on scales that are then checked for accuracy etc etc. On the European continent the rules tend to be a bit more lax but I think in the Carp fishing fraternity it will be well known and again a fish would not be « accepted » if there was something dubious going on. In this case for example Martin Locke is a very well known angler and the lakes are also known so there is little doubt the fish weighed what it weighed.

I would love to see an official set of rules that could be used throughout Europe for certifying fish and although I think its good the IGFA have tried to create something, the thing I dont like about their system is the line rating aspect.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
ATTENTION

Just spoken with the man himself, congratulated him of course, but he couldn't say much at that time as he had a room full of people, but he has promised us the full SP and pictures.

COMING SOON.........