Newbie intro!

avrojet

Reaction score
Hello
I'm Mark 47yrs old and for the last year or so I decided to take up fishing.
I did try fishing when I was younger but wasn't that good at it. Now I've decided to take up the sport again and therefore looking at purchasing some rods, tackle etc. I thought of starting with a float rod and doing mainly Stillwater’s but my intention is to progress on to rivers and streams. I would love to go Barble fishing but I need some experience first. I live in the Cheshire area so I'm spoilt for choice with fishing venues etc. I now need to decide on what rod to purchase as the different makes, lengths of rods, type of reels and fishing line looks confusing. Are there any good books that I should be reading or DVD's etc, advice on what to look for would be welcome?
Not joined any clubs yet but there are two that I know of in my area. I'm surprised that quite a few clubs have a waiting list, didn't expect that.
I will be seeking advice if that O.K from the members of this forum.
Thanks
Mark

Reaction score
Welcome Mark,

Other clubs to consider are Bay Malton (which occasionally has a waiting list) and Nantwich Anglers - which doesn't as far as I know and must be about the best value for money card in the county.

Home (Nantwich Anglers)

Bay Malton Angling

Quite a few of theFishing Magic live in the Cheshire/Merseyside/Gtr Manchester/Staffs/Derbyshire areas so should be able to get local advice fairly easily.

Poshers

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Welcome to FM

If you are new to the sport it might be best to find a well stocked commercial fishery- usual cost about £6 for a day ticket and catch a few fish - there will be plenty of anglers around who will show you what to do if you are unsure of any aspects of fishing.

As for a rod - what budget do you have in mind - one was is to go for a avon/ quiver rod that can be used for float fishing and ledgering.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello avrojet and welcome to fm

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Welcome to FM.

A rod of 12 or 13ft should cover most general fishinng requirements, although if you do go Barbel fishing, you will probably want something with at least 1.5 to 2lb test curve. As for reels, I personally like the Shimano ones, although there are plenty of others to choose from.

avrojet

Reaction score

Hi
Thanks for all the advice!
I'm looking at spending upto the £100 mark for a rod!
Is that too much?
Mark

Tom Sexton

Reaction score
Sory about the late "welcome to FM" message. I've been absent from the fishing scene for a few months but am looking at getting back into it this year (mostly carping). Just as an aside, I notice you are called "Avrojet" and live in the cheshire area. You're not a BAE Woodford fella are you? (I was but am now at Chadderton) Good luck with the fishing.