Newbie - like REALLY newbie

toadiscoil

Reaction score
Hi all,

My son was curious about fishing and we asked our neighbors because they had some fishing rods on a garage sale. Turned out they are super deep into the hobby, use their boat for fishing and have a collection of fishing toys. I bought a Shakespeare ultra light at Walmart for my son and went fishing with them. They loaned me a rod and I really liked the whole deal even if I didn't catch any fish and my son 4 that time hehe. Then I ended up going to Scheels and bought myself a relatively cheap rod/reel combo, a 6 foot Quantum Optix. After that I have gone fishing one more time with my son and one more by myself. The last time I caught 5 fish!

I have been geeking over YouTube fishing videos and learning about lures, bait setup, knots, casting, etc. I have already picked out my next rod/reel setup :) I want a Penn Fierce III 4000 with a 7 foot 13 Fishing rod.

I just have one question about casting. I have been doing it by pulling all the way to the back and front, but I have seen videos I should be just flinging the rod, using it like a slingshot. The problem is whenever I try this the line gets twisted and ends up being a real mess or I throw it over to the side and I usually end up losing my line on a tree. I am mostly fishing for small fish using a bobber, a swivel and a snell so I end up with a good piece of line hanging which is what ends up getting tangled up when I cast. If I had a small bass setup with just a plastic worm, a hook and a sinker I think I would not have this issue and this is usually what I have seen on casting videos I have watched. So was looking forward for tips or pointers to a good video how to cast properly using a long line.

Glad to be part of the hobby. I have to admit I don't plan to go all in as I have another "main" hobby of radio control helicopters that consumes most of my time and money although I have to admit I have enjoyed fishing way too much recently. My 5 fish day was a couple hours I took off from work to go fish which is really rare on me.

Cheers,

Javier

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Hi all,

My son was curious about fishing and we asked our neighbors because they had some fishing rods on a garage sale. Turned out they are super deep into the hobby, use their boat for fishing and have a collection of fishing toys. I bought a Shakespeare ultra light at Walmart for my son and went fishing with them. They loaned me a rod and I really liked the whole deal even if I didn't catch any fish and my son 4 that time hehe. Then I ended up going to Scheels and bought myself a relatively cheap rod/reel combo, a 6 foot Quantum Optix. After that I have gone fishing one more time with my son and one more by myself. The last time I caught 5 fish!

I have been geeking over YouTube fishing videos and learning about lures, bait setup, knots, casting, etc. I have already picked out my next rod/reel setup :) I want a Penn Fierce III 4000 with a 7 foot 13 Fishing rod.

I just have one question about casting. I have been doing it by pulling all the way to the back and front, but I have seen videos I should be just flinging the rod, using it like a slingshot. The problem is whenever I try this the line gets twisted and ends up being a real mess or I throw it over to the side and I usually end up losing my line on a tree. I am mostly fishing for small fish using a bobber, a swivel and a snell so I end up with a good piece of line hanging which is what ends up getting tangled up when I cast. If I had a small bass setup with just a plastic worm, a hook and a sinker I think I would not have this issue and this is usually what I have seen on casting videos I have watched. So was looking forward for tips or pointers to a good video how to cast properly using a long line.

Glad to be part of the hobby. I have to admit I don't plan to go all in as I have another "main" hobby of radio control helicopters that consumes most of my time and money although I have to admit I have enjoyed fishing way too much recently. My 5 fish day was a couple hours I took off from work to go fish which is really rare on me.

Cheers,

Javier
? ? welcome! ? ??

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. Although most on here are UK based there are members from all over the world.
Have a read of the Robbie Northman articles here on FM. He is a lure man and his articles will be helpful.

keora

Reaction score
It seems you are using a short rod (6ft) with a bobber (float in the the UK), a swivel and a snell ( a leader?). You say your are getting tangled up on the cast.

If the distance from the bobber to the hook on the snell is much more than the length of the rod, It's hard to cast accurately and you can get the line tangled. You could try reducing the distance between the bobber and the hook. Another solution would be to change to a bigger bobber float and to increase the weight on the line. A heavier bobber is easier to cast than a light one.

peytr

Reaction score
and I really liked the whole deal even if I didn't catch any fish
In a few years time you'll be wondering how you ever managed without spending time near the water :geek:. Welcome!