Mattj1993

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I started fishing back end of 2019 with a trip to a local commercial fishery stocked heavily with silverfish. I got a 5 minute lesson with the owner who told me all I needed was a whip and maggots. I caught tiny fish every few minutes. I returned there a couple of times.

Following that, I bought a set up recommended from my local tackle shop. Light rod and reel for float fishing. Whilst I find the whole setting up etc more fun and authentic, I just can't get anywhere near the same success I do as when using the whip. I keep bait the same, just maggots.

I know that fishing has many intricacies, so if you could fire some potential suggestions at me, I'll give them all a go the next time I'm at the lake. Thanks in advance!

john step

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. After the lockdown you will be able to get more experience in .

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I bought a whip about 3 years ago but have never used it so cannot comment. Keep experimenting with your rod and reel ensuring you have appropriate diameter/ breaking strain of line, hooklength and hooks. Try different depths and , when spring arrives, different baits such as bread punch, small pellets, corn, meat and caster. Learning is all part of the fun.

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I started fishing back end of 2019 with a trip to a local commercial fishery stocked heavily with silverfish. I got a 5 minute lesson with the owner who told me all I needed was a whip and maggots. I caught tiny fish every few minutes. I returned there a couple of times.

Following that, I bought a set up recommended from my local tackle shop. Light rod and reel for float fishing. Whilst I find the whole setting up etc more fun and authentic, I just can't get anywhere near the same success I do as when using the whip. I keep bait the same, just maggots.

I know that fishing has many intricacies, so if you could fire some potential suggestions at me, I'll give them all a go the next time I'm at the lake. Thanks in advance!

Hi Matt welcome to the forum (y)

It’s really the wrong time of year to begin learning a new method as you would probably be sitting in a swim and freezing to death with very few (if any) fish feeding in front of you; however here’s a couple of standard shotting patterns that might be of some help to you when we are eventually allowed to fish after the Conovirus lockdown:

(Nb: I’m assuming that you will be fishing stillwaters)

And don’t be afraid to come up in the water too.

Also at this time of year when it’s freezing cold I’d recommend using much lighter hooklengths and smaller hooks than you would use normally; and don’t loose feed as much either.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Tight lines
Keith

Last edited: