Newcomer ex comercial water day ticket pleasure fisherman returning to fishing.

fir3mansam123

Reaction score
After a break of a few years I've returned to fishing.

I used to fish local commercials to hit carp and silvers.

But now I've returned I'm going for an new unfamiliar style, lure fishing for perch, pike or anything else that will take a lure.

I've bought a rigged and ready x5 adventure and a reel to match, 15lb braid on one spool and 30lb on the other and some 6lb fluorocarbon leader line.

A stash of soft plastic shads and creature baits and jig heads to suit.

Been out on canal twice and blanked both times.

I can't get head around not pre baiting to attract fish in, as I say I'm new to this so it's very much a learning curve.

Hopefully I'll catch soon

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I'm also fairly new to lure fishing although I won't be getting my gear out 'til late September / early October - primarily because the sections of the cut that I like to rove are just too weedy ATM. Others on here are more experienced and will I'm sure offer better advice, but I have on occasion taken maggot or pinkie to throw in to attract the small fish which in turn (in theory at least) will attract the predators!

john step

Reaction score
Over the last year or two I have the occasional dabble with lures. I am by no means an expert.
I satisfy myself with just getting hits on light lures taking minimal tackle and just being out by the water.

I have found small perch the most obliging for a bit of fun. They seem to go mad for those rubber paddle tail things on a jig head.
At the moment weed is the biggest killer of an enjoyable day.
Sometimes when they are just not in the mood I use a worm on a jig head. That gets more hits.

A couple of the biggest ones I had last winter was on something new to me at least. Ned head lures. They seem preposterous but they do actually work. Lots of videos on You Tube.

For pike I have a lot of faith in those lures we used to call floating/sinking plugs. The are probably called something upbeat now. Cast/ floats/ slow draw back and they dive down fluttering their stuff enticingly. A wire trace is a must.
Small pike are the absolute SODS for spinning and tangle ones net.
A rubber net designed to avoid this risk is a good buy.
Take a pair of wire cutters to snip the hook rather than destroy ones net or harm the pike. A new hook can be quickly done using a small split ring.

For pike quite frankly the best lure is a small real fish mounted sink and draw. Small perch are very durable which I keep in my bait freezer.
For those without a freezer then obviously the grab and go artificials are the business.

Keep at it as it will click. Look for features. Canals down the edge, bushes etc. Most important enjoy being out there even if the fish are small.

fir3mansam123

Reaction score
I'm also fairly new to lure fishing although I won't be getting my gear out 'til late September / early October - primarily because the sections of the cut that I like to rove are just too weedy ATM. Others on here are more experienced and will I'm sure offer better advice, but I have on occasion taken maggot or pinkie to throw in to attract the small fish which in turn (in theory at least) will attract the predators!
Good tip

fir3mansam123

Reaction score
Over the last year or two I have the occasional dabble with lures. I am by no means an expert.
I satisfy myself with just getting hits on light lures taking minimal tackle and just being out by the water.

I have found small perch the most obliging for a bit of fun. They seem to go mad for those rubber paddle tail things on a jig head.
At the moment weed is the biggest killer of an enjoyable day.
Sometimes when they are just not in the mood I use a worm on a jig head. That gets more hits.

A couple of the biggest ones I had last winter was on something new to me at least. Ned head lures. They seem preposterous but they do actually work. Lots of videos on You Tube.

For pike I have a lot of faith in those lures we used to call floating/sinking plugs. The are probably called something upbeat now. Cast/ floats/ slow draw back and they dive down fluttering their stuff enticingly. A wire trace is a must.
Small pike are the absolute SODS for spinning and tangle ones net.
A rubber net designed to avoid this risk is a good buy.
Take a pair of wire cutters to snip the hook rather than destroy ones net or harm the pike. A new hook can be quickly done using a small split ring.

For pike quite frankly the best lure is a small real fish mounted sink and draw. Small perch are very durable which I keep in my bait freezer.
For those without a freezer then obviously the grab and go artificials are the business.

Keep at it as it will click. Look for features. Canals down the edge, bushes etc. Most important enjoy being out there even if the fish are small.
Very good advice very much appreciated

keora

Reaction score
Even if you intend to fish for perch, in most waters you'll catch pike as well. If you are using fluoro line, most of the pike will bite through the fluoro line.

You need a fine wire trace - say 10 lbs - and you need to get advice on the best way of unhooking pike.

Last edited: