Next generation legends?

Reaction score
I wouldnt label top anglers as heroes,but possibly idols,these fellas really were good,i remember winning a match against Coventry new star,Billy Lane walked up and watched me for about fifteen minutes,talk about stage struck,when he left he said well done lad,i stood about a foot taller,funny that,at that stage i'd read his book of float fishing from cover to cover a few months before,i would have been around 18 i suppose...

rayner

Reaction score
Legends, another bandied word stars. I hear it a lot, mostly from TV presenters. I probably have to apologise because I don't see it in anyone. We have it in every sport.
I don't doubt they're exceptionally skilful in what they do but branding them as some sort of legend is beyond me. They are top performers in their chosen sport, there's no doubt but for me, that's all.

Reaction score
Ive said this before and I will repeat,THEY ARE GOOD,bloody good,watch Ken Giles in his pomp,wow,he wasnt big headed,people that good deserve our respect,they didnt get that good sitting on their bums...

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I actually do know the answer to this, Carl and Alex Smith, they're youtbers who fish for pretty much everything. The reason that they'll be legends is because my 12 year old lad is really into them and I have to admit that I am too, they really manage a good blend of being modern enough to appeal to what's going on in fishing right now but at the same time capturing the magic of why we go which isn't just down to the fish we catch.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Oh and by the way - maybe I should put out my own definition of "legend". For me, that's someone who actually manages to convey a sense of why we should go fishing in the first place rather than the fish they catch. So for me, there's only three (possibly four) legends.... John Wilson, Matt Hayes and Chris Yates. The sneaky fourth is **** Walker, however the reason for being that sneaky fourth is that although I know enough about angling to know the influence that he had, it was way before my time and the influence is purely historic. Whereas the other three genuinely had a direct effect on the fishing I did and the rewards I try to get out of it. I know many will disagree, however for me a legend should be a figure of genuine inspiration as opposed to someone who's just caught a lot of fish.

nottskev

Reaction score
Just had a look at one of the Carl and Alex videos that Jim mentioned. Very enjoyable and entertaining ( and I'm no fan of the usual carp fishing videos) They were competing to catch carp from a stretch of canal. Oddest canal I ever saw - gin clear, trees apparently growing in the middle, stuffed with carp cruising around. Anybody recognise where it is?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Oddest canal I ever saw - gin clear, trees apparently growing in the middle, stuffed with carp cruising around. Anybody recognise where it is?

I remember fishing the K&A years ago and there were some serious carp in places then. Whenever I've read about it since, the suggestion has been that the carp are even more prolific now. It might fit the bill. I also remember military colleagues waxing lyrical about the carpy merits of a canal in the Hampshire area. Reputedly low or non-existent boat traffic would certainly help with water clarity. I didn't pay that much attention, but can only assume that it must have been the Basingstoke or Wey & Arun that they were referring to.

nottskev

Reaction score
Could be one of those. I was just curious. And these days, I get slightly envious when I see people step out of the car next to what looks like a comfortable but featureful suburban water and immediately exclaim "Oh look, there's some!". I've a canal near by, but it's not quite like that!

I posted that halfway through watching. As it goes on, they regularly refer to the water as the lake, so it appears it's a canal-shaped lake.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
The commercial match fishing scene should be a great leveller, many of the venues are similar, with a few species of fish dominating.

At the highest level the competition is intense and amongst the upper echelon there are some very, very good anglers indeed. I was watching an interview with Nick Speed last night, for instance, who was winning 200+ peg matches on the river Witham, at the age of 12, before concentrating on the commercial scene.

At that intensity of competition, there is one angler who’s record is second to none. He has won Fishomania three times and almost made it 4 this year, from an unfancied peg, while during the same year winning two of the other most coveted titles in match fishing.

His name is Jamie Hughes, an angler or exceptional ability. If you watch many of his videos on YouTube he’s a pretty humble guy but his interpretation of fish behaviour and what is happening under the surface is incredible.

A modern hero, absolutely, who wouldn’t marvel at such skill and expertise?

Reaction score
Martin bowler.
This was an angler that sprung to mind when reading this article.
I don't think he gets the credit he deserves at the moment but he puts 100% into all of his fishing and he's not just obsessed with big carp like some and fishes for specimen fish of all species.
He is one of the few anglers left that don't over complicate things and concentrate on watercraft more than the technical side of things and I'm sure he was the first man to hold two British records at the same time?
The barbel and the crucian if I remember correctly but whether or not he goes down as a fishing legend I think he will be remembered as one of this generations most talented all round anglers.

Aknib

Reaction score
Martin bowler.
This was an angler that sprung to mind when reading this article.
I don't think he gets the credit he deserves at the moment but he puts 100% into all of his fishing and he's not just obsessed with big carp like some and fishes for specimen fish of all species.
He is one of the few anglers left that don't over complicate things and concentrate on watercraft more than the technical side of things and I'm sure he was the first man to hold two British records at the same time?
The barbel and the crucian if I remember correctly but whether or not he goes down as a fishing legend I think he will be remembered as one of this generations most talented all round anglers.

Nice post, thanks.

Yes I think Martin is a great for sure, the big Perch brace he took on Catching the Impossible (?) will haunt me but he never loses that general, down to earth spirit of just being there and his wide appreciation, understanding and accomplishment across such a broad variety of species is enviable.

He's a natural for sure.

Reaction score
I agree.
He's a guy that you can tell is just happy to be on the bank and he also enjoys catching small fish just as much as the big fish.
I saw a video from matt hayes recently and he quite rightly pointed out that most of the time there is actually a higher skill level in fishing for the smaller species than when fishing for the specimens.
The is an art to catching big fish on rivers and more natural venues but I think some of the carp pools now days enable people to simply cast out anything with a pva bag attached and catch big fish without any actual fishing skills or Watercraft.
I think it's the anglers that still put Watercraft first in there fishing that are the ones to be remembered regardless of the sizes of fish they catch.
I personally know anglers who wouldn't mind me saying don't know that much about fishing but have gone to easy venues and caught big carp, however if you passed them a waggler rod and told them to catch a bag of roach or fish the sliding float for example they wouldn't know where to start.
So in a way I think the venues and how they are stocked these days are making fishing easy sometimes and some of the most skillful techniques of fishing are sadly fading away.

Philip

Reaction score
I personally know anglers who wouldn't mind me saying don't know that much about fishing but have gone to easy venues and caught big carp, however if you passed them a waggler rod and told them to catch a bag of roach or fish the sliding float for example they wouldn't know where to start.

Always the Carp example :eek:mg:

I shouldnt bite but thats such a classic biased statement that it cant go without comment.

Who are these anglers ?

I am quite sure that if they can catch a Carp on rod and line then they can catch a Roach on rod and line.

I know gifted float anglers who I could put on a Carp water and they would catch absolutely nothing for a VERY long time.

Your not comparing apples with apples.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Philip, you and I will have to agree to disagree on this. I fished for carp on some of the hardest (and best) lakes in the Colne Valley for 38 years averaging around 60-70 nights a year - I was quite keen.

With carp I found that when you find a rig that works efficiently it would work everywhere and if you had a half decent bait big carp could be caught, the only other factor was time. It was no coincidence that the anglers that put in the most time caught the most carp.

It does not work in the same way with big roach. Yes I accept that bolt rigs can and do work sometimes for big roach BUT:

1/ a big bait can be used when carp fishing which can deter or stop other fish from eating it.

2/ you cant do that with roach. Whatever bait you use for roach another species can come along and eat it.

3/ there are always exceptions but generally roach (especially big roach) don't wolf down the baits like a carp, they are very picky and finnicky feeders.

4/ carp are big and show themselves, apart from otters they are predator proof. With big roach very often it's difficult to know if there are actually any in the water?!

Generally big roach have to be actually fished for, carp fishing is camping with fishing tackle.

Reaction score
Look Philip,we have been here before,many carp lakes have large stocks(and im not talking commercials here,if you are talking about fishing lakes with low carp stocks I agree,mainly because commitment to the task is a major part of success,any decent angler understands the importance of watercraft,finding bars,holes,snags,weedbeds etc,also work baiting areas,lightly or heavily,all basic fish finding and holding skills,so catching carp isnt that difficult(nor that easy) on many,many club lakes,catching a roach on a float also isnt so difficult,in fact most kids could do it,catch big catches of half tidy roach isnt that easy on most waters and requires similar ability/knowledge,Martin Bowler is a good all rounder,he catches specimens of all species from a multitude of different waters,on an endless amount of methods,to me that is amazing,he does however have access to an awful lot of waters you and I could never get on,but he can only take advantage of that good fortune and enjoy it....

At this moment two of my favourite anglers are both carp anglers,Terry Hearn and Nick Helleuer(spelt wrong,but cant be bothered to google him),why,because I admire their attitude to fishing and can feel the enthusiasm bubbling through,no egos,they remember all the fights of the captures and portray them with gusto...

Philip

Reaction score
I think its fairly obvious what I am alluding to.

Its about someone making a blanket generalization that they know people who can catch big Carp but won’t have a clue how to catch a bag of Roach. Pretty silly especially when I’d wager more Roach are caught every year in the UK than Carp.

PS Whitty - Terry & Nick are two of my favorites too. Terry would get my vote as a next angling legend, he is already a legend in Carp circles…but of course Carp are easy. ;-)

I’ll bow out there.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I agree with Phillip, stereotypical rubbish from the admsanglingtv. Blanket generalization that only covers probably less than 10% of what it is all about. But the elitists love it so they will keep the myth going. And I am not a carp angler.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
One non assuming angler that I myself think deserves the title of legend was the great and well respected Angler who recently passed away Keith Speer.

Keith would catch huge fish of almost any species out of almost anywhere he fished, and was always willing to help others around him catch them too.
His knowledge of watercraft was encyclopedic to say the least.

I find it a privilege to have known him.

Keith

Last edited: