Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 16-85 mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

The Monk

Reaction score
I wouldnt mind buying it off him, but its all the bludi lenses you`d need too

The Monk

Reaction score
thinking of getting an F1 to suppliment my Nikkor 18-200 DX VR II, I mainly want an F1 prime Nikkor 35 DX-Silent wave 1.8 (or faster), for twighlight and night shooting, anybody go one for sale? also got a DX 28-70 Sigma for sale F2.8, a beatiful well made lens complete with UV, I`m giving it away at 200 squid, anybody?

captain carrott

Reaction score
how do the nikon lense names work, i've just about worked out the cannon naming system i think, and also wrked out sigmas names too but nikon i aint got a clue on.

The Monk

Reaction score
I find this bit worrying, mines a G lens

G (Gelded): 2000 (won't work on manual focus cameras) top

G is not a feature, G is a handicap. G stands for gelded.

G lenses are lenses which have been crippled by removing their aperture rings to save cost. This is a classic example of taking away features while making customers think they are getting something new. G eliminates many features with older cameras.

These newest AF lenses have no aperture ring. This means that they will not work on manual focus cameras since there is no way to set the aperture. You can mount them, however every shot will be made at the smallest aperture and your metering will be way off (probably about SIX stops underexposed) since the camera has no way to know what the aperture will be.

This is silly, but you may get them to work on closed-loop auto exposure cameras like the FA in A mode. Good luck if you want to waste your time on this.

The G series work fine on all current AF Nikon cameras on which the manual aperture rings were a pain. On legacy AF cameras like the 8008 and 6006 you may lose the A and M modes, you'll have to see. I forget if for those modes if one sets the aperture on the camera or on the lens aperture rings.

All the G series are also D. They are not AI-s.

This removal of the aperture ring is typical migration for Nikon: Nikon tends to make new lenses work on all cameras for about 15-20 years after they discontinue the camera. AF cameras have not needed aperture rings for most modes since they were created about 20 years ago! Of course collectors growl about this and the brilliant new G lenses won't work at all on the brilliant FM-3a, but so what; all the other manual and AF lenses made today still work great on every camera they've made since 1977, and with a small modification to add an aperture prong will work great (with all meter coupling) even on the original Nikon F from 1959. This is good, although G lenses are still useless on manual focus cameras.

For an AF camera to control the aperture on any non-G lens with an aperture ring you just turn the aperture ring to the minimum setting in orange (usually f/22) and flick the lock so it stays there, and then everything is done on the camera body. If for some reason the lens is set otherwise the camera will flash something like " F - - " to let you know to set the lens back to the minimum setting.

captain carrott

Reaction score
I find this bit worrying, mines a G lens

G (Gelded): 2000 (won't work on manual focus cameras) top

G is not a feature, G is a handicap. G stands for gelded.

you've not got a manual focus camera though have you, ask albert

The Monk

Reaction score
its the gelded bit that frightened me mate, made me skirm a bit when I read it