No Call for Cull from Angling Trust

preston96

Reaction score
Perhaps they should??

Wouldn't it be wonderful if our rivers were clean and sparkly and tarka could frolick and play whilst anglers laugh at their antics in a world full of plenty!

But for now, they would without doubt starve to death without the hard work that anglers have put into our rivers.

Mink, cormarants, otters, pollution....i wish that the bodies that represent us had the bottle to stand up and be counted.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
I disagree entirely, otters are native to this country and used to live in harmony with all wildlife before roads and pesticides reduced their numbers to a fraction of what they were. If otters take the odd fish in order to survive the so be it, we should be working with otter conservationists not against them.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I used to feel the same way Eric but the more I'm hearing the more my opinion moves.
If they only took fish to eat we could all live in harmony but from what I've seen, they don't. They catch and kill fish for play, taking one or two bites and then moving on to the next one - and bigger fish seem to be their preferred targets.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
They won't eat carrion Geoff, that's why they don't eat the entire fish, they eat what they want and leave the rest. As for them eating bigger fish, well that's mainly carp. The fact is, carp are selectively bred for their size and they are wild creatures no longer. Little wonder that the otters find them easy prey, great fat lumbering things that they are.

preston96

Reaction score
No, i cant agree with you at all Eric........like i point out it would be wonderful if the otters had a plentiful supply of naturally self replemishing fish stocks to survive on......but they don't.

to be a true conservationists we have to look at the whole picture not just the heart jerking pretty furry one.

BTW.....i reckon a fit carp can move faster over distance than any pike ;)

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
I will try my idea again and see if I can get a hat trick of ignores ha ha ha
my idea is 3 or 4 rivers through out the uk that are angler free ,otter friendly and suitable for other wildlife
the angler rivers can then be otter free
the otter rivers would need to be stocked with food fish evry so often
I know this would cost money but one fishery lost £130,000 of fish so seems a small price to pay
thanks for not reading ha ha ha
ps this might be a sh it idea but Ive not seen anything better and a cull will not do angling any favours

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Cakey,

You Blundering Big Twerp ...................... I actually think that is a very good idea, having natural resources that are available to wildlife and are unfished makes a lot of sense.

The funding will always be a little contenscious (god knows how you spell it) but if all factors of protecting our environment contributed to it, it would be very sustainable.

The RSPCB, Environment Agency, Wildlife Trust etc etc etc could all pay a small amount for the upkeep of the wildlife there, and then nature can take care of the rest, as it used to be.

Now all we have to do is find someone who is more fashionable than cakey to think up the idea so we can all react to it HAHAHAHAHA ................. :p

richiekelly

Reaction score
if something isnt done fishery owners will start to take the law into their own hands and i for one would not blame them,i belive that this has probably already happend at some fisheries. about 5 years ago i was fishing a well known syndicate water and saw an otter several times always in the same place i informed the head baliff of what i had seen, i never saw the otter again.

preston96

Reaction score
I will try my idea again and see if I can get a hat trick of ignores ha ha ha
my idea is 3 or 4 rivers through out the uk that are angler free ,otter friendly and suitable for other wildlife
the angler rivers can then be otter free
the otter rivers would need to be stocked with food fish evry so often
I know this would cost money but one fishery lost £130,000 of fish so seems a small price to pay
thanks for not reading ha ha ha
ps this might be a sh it idea but Ive not seen anything better and a cull will not do angling any favours

I have read it mate...lol,

You have a valid point and it should have been better thought out from the beginning and perhaps there should be a "council" drawn from all those with an inteerest in our countryside whom could have debated the issue of a long period and put ideas like yours into the debate.

I agree the term "cull" would do angling no favours, but with out some sort of "contol" otter numbers may well come into an inbalance....at least in the short term.

In the long term it may level out.....but at what cost to angling.

We have to stand up and explain our postition..........knowledgable and thoughtful anglers have a great love of all that surrounds them, we shouldn't worry about what less knowledgeable or "do gooders" think, we should apply our ideas and stick by them.

As an angler i do worry that the way things are going the otter may well damage the sport simply because the water eco system is not up to them and all the other predators etc.

richiekelly

Reaction score
i may be wrong but i seem to remember the term cull being used by the RSPB not to many years ago involving ruddy ducks that were interbreading with other species of duck,i cant remember there being any outcry against it,no matter what term is used cull,managment,control it all comes down to the same thing, if otter numbers are left to conrol themselves naturaly they will only decline when there isnt enough fish to eat for the amount of otters needing fish to eat, by then it will be to late for fisheries and for anglers action must be taken before this situation arises.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Am i wrong in thinking that there used to be Otters in the Olden Days ?

Wasn't this also when the river fishing was at it's most prolific before man f**ked up what Nature intended.

Are Otters a detriment to the Environment or just to Fishing?

preston96

Reaction score
Am i wrong in thinking that there used to be Otters in the Olden Days ?

Wasn't this also when the river fishing was at it's most prolific before man f**ked up what Nature intended.

Are Otters a detriment to the Environment or just to Fishing?

I think it may be a case that at the moment the environment may be detrimental to otters.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
It seems to me the Otter population needs to be "managed" in the same way as the vast majority of our waterways and resources have been "managed". There are very few (if any?) of our resources that have not had the hand of man applied to them over a long period of time. Trouble is some of that so called management, waterways and wildlife, has been crass stupidity and difficult if not impossible to reverse.

The "Enchanting Killer" article and subsequent thread is thought provoking and may indicate we've past the stage of thinking/planning/debating the subject and are fast approaching a desperate position!