No Pastie

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've heard of a number of so-called 'hole in the ground' or 'carp hole' fisheries producing some really top condition big fish lately. So do we need to reassess our attitude towards them? Or at least towards the more established, well managed ones?

P

Philip Inzani

Yes! Especially as you say for the more established ones that are starting to actually have a tree or a bit of green to provide some privacy and cover.

I wonder if the fish often being reliant on the masses of nutritionally super duper baits being pumped into them has a bearing on their condition?

R

Rob Brownfield

...or is it that some of these commercial fisheries have become dumping grounds for stolen fish from the UK and abroad?

R

Rob Brownfield

Sorry, better clarify that. Seems strange that a water that is stocked very densly with small carp, a water where the fish are permanatly hungry, can suddenly throw up LARGE carp that appear to be in good nick. I know some carp will grow faster than others, but I believe its the case that thay will only happen under ideal conditions. Also, I have read about 20 pound plus fish from waters that are only a couple of years old. No way does a carp go from 5 pounds to 20 pounds in those sort of conditions in 2 years.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
In many instances I'm sure you're right Rob, but I am in no way insinuating that such is the case where the Izaak Walton Fisheries are concerned.

Incidentally, the water hasn't 'suddenly' thrown up big carp, as I heard about big ones being caught from there some time ago. But after catching so many pasties over two visits without seeing a sign of anything topping 4lb I was finding the stories hard to believe.

I still have a problem getting my head round the fact that there are apparently so many big (relatively speaking) carp in the pool, and in such superb condition, whilst sharing it with tens of thousands of other fish that are so hungry they will at times take a bare hook.

R

Rob Brownfield

Graham...I still say they must have gone in at a good size to start with, legally or not. They must be bully fish that just push others out of the way. Maybe they have a food sorce the smaller fish can't handle...Crayfish?, Mussles??..other fish????

S

Stuart Johnson

IW is a nice allround fishery, though I have not caught them as big as you have(jammy s**) I have certainley seen them. Somepeoples attitude to this type of water is blinked. They have visted one or two poorley run ones and have tared them all with the same brush. Not only Carp grow big in these waters but other species as well. So I for one have a posative attitude to some of these fisheries.

D

Dave Johnson

well done Graham, i told you they were in there.....
couple of Fridays ago, I had the bottom pool to myself and it was very hot, at the end of the pool, there were around thirty big carp from 8lb up to mid 20's so I knew they were there.
problem is, it is impossible to feed off 300x 3lb carp!
Well done though, looks a nice fish.
might have a go on one of the bends on the river this friday which runs through the fishery, some great chub to be had on a small rod and light gear.
Dave

P

Paul Williams

JUst read Digital diary.....lovelly looking fish Graham!!! is there a bar with food overlooking a swimming pool ;o)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No bar but (and this is no kidding) when you buy your day ticket you order bacon or sausage butties and a drink and he brings them down to you right to your swim. It's a cert for the Pole match next year!

D

Dave Johnson

brought me a cold tin of John Smiths yesterday with a bacon and egg sandwich......bloody lovely!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Chub, I didn't know he did ale. Paul, when are we going, I'm sure you owe me a drink!