Normark Titan 2000 match

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I believe the last top match rods before the 2000's were the Norboron's,they had sliding reel fittings,I had a 12' one,which when rod started having screw fittings I had John Hutchinson fit a fuji one for me,then bought Titan 2000's and flogged it,wish I hadn't now as it is a cracking rod for good fish,even though it had a spliced tip...

Never seen or heard of a titan 2000 with a spliced tip Alan?
All the team 2000 and 3000 ranges had hollow tips.
Only thing I can think of was someone had broken the tip on your one and spliced a section in to it?

Chris's beloved 15ft 6inch and 13ft 6inch browning sphere rods have spliced tips and seem to be fine for larger fish. I haven't had many barbel with mine yet but did get a nice one of around 10lb with the 13 6 on its first outing and the rod was fine.
I've recently use the 14ft sphere waggler rod trotting for barbel and have a few, not big ones, prolly about 4 to 7lb'ish or a little more, but again the rods were fine.

Reaction score
Sorry,I meant the Norboron had a spliced tip....i've edited the post now to show clarity...

liphook

Reaction score
Daimaru made the blanks for Normark (and then later for Carbotec)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are Carbotec any good?

Yeaph, nice rods but you have better already.
The mkII's blow them out the water.
A good friend of mine had a number of carbotec rods and after having a go with my mkII normarks he sold all but one carbo and aquired a double set of the mkII's.

stevejay

Reaction score
Yeaph, nice rods but you have better already.
The mkII's blow them out the water.
A good friend of mine had a number of carbotec rods and after having a go with my mkII normarks he sold all but one carbo and aquired a double set of the mkII's.
Really? I always thought Carbotec were the pinnacle of "Normark" rods, and rated the best of their type/era. Thought that was the late Geoff Salisbury's opinion, whom I knew well from my days of living and fishing in Devon :)

Reaction score
Peter prefers carbotec,I didn't like em as much myself,personal preference again eh???

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Really? I always thought Carbotec were the pinnacle of "Normark" rods, and rated the best of their type/era. Thought that was the late Geoff Salisbury's opinion, whom I knew well from my days of living and fishing in Devon :)

That was my opinion, I prefer lots of rods to the carbotec rods, a couple of examples are drennan acolytes and browning spheres, and of course the mkII normark ranges of rods.
As far as i'm aware carbotec were nothing to do with normark, Geoff Sailsbury designed them after parting company with normark.

I really had no idea that Geoff Sailsbury had popped his cloggs, that is a shame.
But, if that's the case then the only thing I can suggest is that maybe we should get the ouija board out and have a seance, see if we can contact Geoff and ask what he reckons ? ?

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
I believe the last top match rods before the 2000's were the Norboron's,they had sliding reel fittings,I had a 12' one,which when rod started having screw fittings I had John Hutchinson fit a fuji one for me,then bought Titan 2000's and flogged the Norboron,wish I hadn't now as it is a cracking rod for good fish,even though it had a spliced tip...
alan,

was John Hutchinson the rod builder that Alan Brown used from his shop in Hitchin?

if so, I have one lovely example of his work ... my canal rod, built on the same blank as the Leslie’s Pollard, Image etc (which I’m pretty sure was a conoflex fly rod blank.

Reaction score
Yes it is Alex,still at it too,Chevin4 is getting a rod made as we speak....

silvers

Reaction score
well I’m sure he’ll be delighted ... the quality of finish on my canal rod is fantastic.

Reaction score
I've had several rods worked on or built by him,very good,getting on now though,last time I chatted to him,he said he does it to pay for his real ale....

stevejay

Reaction score
That was my opinion, I prefer lots of rods to the carbotec rods, a couple of examples are drennan acolytes and browning spheres, and of course the mkII normark ranges of rods.
As far as i'm aware carbotec were nothing to do with normark, Geoff Sailsbury designed them after parting company with normark.

I really had no idea that Geoff Sailsbury had popped his cloggs, that is a shame.
But, if that's the case then the only thing I can suggest is that maybe we should get the ouija board out and have a seance, see if we can contact Geoff and ask what he reckons ? ?

Yes, you are right in that Geoff designed them after leaving Normark.
He passed away recently, after, I believe , quite a long illness. I moved away from the Exeter area many years ago but am still in touch with some old fishing mates down there. Geoff used to like to fish our matches on the Tiverton Canal and his shop was by far the best in the area.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, you are right in that Geoff designed them after leaving Normark.
He passed away recently, after, I believe , quite a long illness. I moved away from the Exeter area many years ago but am still in touch with some old fishing mates down there. Geoff used to like to fish our matches on the Tiverton Canal and his shop was by far the best in the area.

I only knew Geoff existed because of his connection with the design of the normark 2000s and the carbotec rods, didn't even know he had a shop!
He obviously knew his stuff about fishing rods, and i'm a big fan of the rods he designed.
RIP Geoff.

silvers

Reaction score
Geoff Won a Trent National too, fishing for Billy Knott’s mob (Marazion).

fwiw ... from the horse’s mouth ... a set of 3 carbotecs (#1,2,3) were sent to the Chinese factory to replicate as closely as possible for a price ... the result was the Shakespeare Mach3 range.
they did return them to the owner as well.

rob48

Reaction score
Geoff and his Normark team-mates used to fish a lot of the Avon matches back in the day. Steve Jackson was one name I remember. All very good anglers.

liphook

Reaction score
The Carbotec fly rod range was directly copied from Sage and the Superteam Feeder was copied from the Carbotec so I'm told, so if the Mach3 story is true then the wheel that is tackle 'development' keeps on turning!