Northampton Piking - Where's best?

P

Pete Denness

Hi,
I've been lure fishing a few areas around northampton, Delapre Lake, Barrage, R Nene, Canal by the Council Offices with varying degrees of success (pb of 12lb so far).

What I'd love to know is where else is good in the northants / MK areas for a chance of something a bit bigger?

Any suggestions appreciated

thanks

Pete

C

chris day

Try the pits at Thrapston- next to the river, day ticket and good head of pike. I've taken fish to mid 20's their over the years.

C

chris day

Talking of bluebell, what has happened to that big pike. Appears out of nowhere as an upper 30, then the next year it has dropped back nearly 10lb. Sounds to me like the exact situation that happens when a big pike is stocked from a trout water. very strange.

P

Pete Denness

Well I tried Thrapston Pits at the weekend, or I thought I did until told by a local it was actually Thorp (Waterville) Pit. Apparently Thrapston Pits is a synidcate water too not a day ticket.

I didn't catch anything but it was a nice change of scenery. Makes a change for me to fish a gravel pit as opposed to the usual shallow Northampton waters.

I'll def be going back there next week for another try, big shiny spoons next time ;)

D

Dave Slater

There used to be some good pike in Sywell. May be worth a try.

P

Pete Denness

Yeah, I've heard Sywell might be worth a try....I remember seeing John Wilson's program with him catching a Pike there.

PTnymph

Reaction score
After digging up old files, I have some Pike waters in Northamptonshire but now not sure if they are on Day tickets or Syndicate.

Try these out.

Billing Aquadrome. (Northampton)

Blunham Pits. (Wellingborough)

Chester Farm Lake.(Wellingborough)

Daventry Country Park.(Daventry)

Drayton Reservoir. (Daventry)

Hollowell Reservoir (Northampton)

Islip Nature Lake. (Kettering)

M

Mark Williams

Careful with the pit at Thorpe Waterville - last time I went, I was kicked off and told it is a nature reserve now. Used to be Northampton Castle water. But it is worth poaching...

P

Pete Denness

Yeah nearly fished the wrong Pit @ Thorpe Waterville the other day until a local said it'd been nature res'd up.

Still there's 2 other pits right there as well that will give me a Pike soon (I hope) even though I blanked last Sunday.