Not exactly new, but i forgot ...

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
... if i have ever introduced myself here.

My Name is Tilman and i´m german. I live in germany and i have been fishing for 31 years now. I started at the age of 3, actually.
I have worked as a fishing guide in norway, which was my first job after school.

I have spent a long time fishing the river Rhine near Frankfurt and then started to fish ponds and lakes after moving to a different area.

I read a lot of English books and most of the internet sites i´m on are english speaking, so there is no problem with that. And as a lot of ideas about carp fishing were invented in the UK, i like to keep up with the latest stuff.

Tight Lines,

Tilman

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hi Tilman and welcome to FM

I used to fish the river Nekkar around Heidelberg when I lived there in the early 1980s. A lovely area with some great fishing. Where are you living now?

Can you also clarify the fishing laws in Germany. Is it true that German law states, all freshwater fish should be killed when caught? I know this was the law many years ago, but I never saw anyone ever kill a fish, other than to take it home to eat. Is this law still in force?

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
Hi Tilman and welcome to FM

I used to fish the river Nekkar around Heidelberg when I lived there in the early 1980s. A lovely area with some great fishing. Where are you living now?

Can you also clarify the fishing laws in Germany. Is it true that German law states, all freshwater fish should be killed when caught? I know this was the law many years ago, but I never saw anyone ever kill a fish, other than to take it home to eat. Is this law still in force?

I live west of Mannheim, near the french border (Landau). The Neckar is a fine river and has a good reputation for big carp as well as barbel.

I have done some sessions on the Rhine River in my Region and if you fish the main current there, it is not unusual that will need a 160 gr (5 Oz) Lead or feeder. There is even a company in germany that has a patented feeder with claws and you can get them in weights of up to 220 gr.
That is one reason, why i went for the smaller ponds and lakes in our region.
I like fishing finer than that, as you may understand.

Yes, geoff maynard, that law is still up to date.

As for the anglers breaking the law: There are more people i know, who release them anyway. But we still have quite a few panfishers around and there are a real nuisance to me.
On the other hand, the clubs can manage the rules for the club water, as they like, so releasing fish, when they are bigger than , let´s say 10 lbs, can be a rule in some clubs.

In one of the clubs i´m in, there are quite a few guys who take their fish home, but there are still lots of fish in there (at least carp, which is my target species)
Needless to say, i practice Catch and Release. The colleagues are happy with my catch and release because they can catch them later (they think). Anyway, that water is stuffed with carp, but not very big ones.
The one catfish that is in there seems to go through the roach very fast and will be fished for to get it out.

The only two fish i took home in the last two years were a zander and a pike.
And of course the odd trout from a put and take water where i practice flyfishing.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My German is perfect. Every Turkish worker from Hamburg to Munich can understand me. It's just a shame the germans can't!

teztench

Reaction score
Welcome to FN Tilman.Tight Lines.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Try again.Welcome to FM.Tilman.Tight Lines