Novice angler needing to buy equipment

Trickett

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum and although i used to fish many moons ago, i'd say i'm a complete novice.

I need to buy pretty much everything needed for course fishing with a float and have a few questions, hope people can help.

Firstly, as I understand it, a feeder rod can be used for ledgering and for float fishing but a float fishing rod is only suited for that and that alone. Am I right with that?

Secondly, i'm on a bit of a budget and am looking at Decathlon for all the gear. I know, the quality there is likely to be suspect, however are there any rods/reels that people might recommend?

I'm not looking to bag any monsters or predators at first! But anything under around 10lbs (tench, roach, bream, chub and small carp etc) would be a great place to start.

Many thanks in advance!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would forget decathalon, try angling direct or a local tackle shop.
Dont forget it's not only rods and reels it's the other bits that can up as well, such as line, floats feeders, hooks,shot, landing net and handle, luggage , factor these into your budget.

Trickett

Reaction score
Thanks markcw, i'll look at other shops for the rod and reel.

Is Decathlon basically a complete no for all equipment?

Best

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Over the years I've bought all sorts of stuff from decathlon, mainly stuff that isn't terminal tackle if we're talking Decathlon branded stuff, I've found if you avoid the cheapest stuff then it's fantastic value for money.

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Trickett and welcome to the forum.

What is your budget for your fishing rod and reel?

Dont forget you will also need to budget for the following :

Rod rests
Fishing line
Some Floats and/or some leger weights and/or a few feeders.
A selection of hooks
Disgorger(s) (it’s always advisable to have more than one)
Different sized Split shot (if float fishing)
A landing net & landing net pole
Tacklebag or Seatbox
Seat (if Tacklebag chosen)
Tacklebox to keep all your tackle bits and pieces in
An unhooking Mat (Some venues require you to have one)
Rod hold-all (to carry your rod, your rod rests and your landing net and net pole in)
A Rod Licence

I just hope I haven’t forgotten anything :)

Keith

Last edited:

Trickett

Reaction score
Thanks Keith and Stillwater.

Budget is small, however i have factored in those things as well. I picked up this book which is really helpful as well with regards to all the equipment, if perhaps a tad outdated it seems to be great.

Looking at angling direct and I've seen the below three Advanta rod and reel combos:

Advanta RTF Feeder Combo 10ft (3m)/30RD
Advanta RTF Float Combo 10ft (3m)/30RD
Advanta RTF Carp Combo 12ft (3.6m) 3lb/60FS

There's no reviews on any of them so i'd be going in a tad blind. Any thoughts on whether the feeder might be best to go for for both float and ledgering? Or would the carp combo be best for both?

Apologies for all the questions, that's the problem with a small budget is you always want to get everything right...

Cheers

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Where in a London are you Trickett?

Windy

Reaction score
What size are you ? As I have a Maver bib 'n brace, XL and never worn. Bought a long time ago in a fit of over optimism at the prospect of losing more weight than I ever actually managed... Free to you for the cost of postage if it is likely to fit.

If XL isn't your thing then after your first refusal I will offer it on the forum to anyone it might fit. Best of luck.

PS. Also have an enormous Polartec one piece in 3XL or perhaps 4XL which is so enormous I'd need to grow another six inches and ten stone in weight for it to fit... Also open free to forum member takers. PM me if interested.

mikench

Reaction score
I have a few rods and reels I would be happy to give away. They would get you going at least. The trouble is you are too far away. I second all of the above.

Trickett

Reaction score
I have a few rods and reels I would be happy to give away. They would get you going at least. The trouble is you are too far away. I second all of the above.
Appreciate the offer mikench, very kind of you

Trickett

Reaction score
What size are you ? As I have a Maver bib 'n brace, XL and never worn. Bought a long time ago in a fit of over optimism at the prospect of losing more weight than I ever actually managed... Free to you for the cost of postage if it is likely to fit.

If XL isn't your thing then after your first refusal I will offer it on the forum to anyone it might fit. Best of luck.

PS. Also have an enormous Polartec one piece in 3XL or perhaps 4XL which is so enormous I'd need to grow another six inches and ten stone in weight for it to fit... Also open free to forum member takers. PM me if interested.
Very kind of you Windy, not sure what size I would be for that but i'm 5ft 10 plus around 13st so might swamp me! Cheers

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks Keith and Stillwater.

Budget is small, however i have factored in those things as well. I picked up this book which is really helpful as well with regards to all the equipment, if perhaps a tad outdated it seems to be great.

Looking at angling direct and I've seen the below three Advanta rod and reel combos:

Advanta RTF Feeder Combo 10ft (3m)/30RD
Advanta RTF Float Combo 10ft (3m)/30RD
Advanta RTF Carp Combo 12ft (3.6m) 3lb/60FS

There's no reviews on any of them so i'd be going in a tad blind. Any thoughts on whether the feeder might be best to go for for both float and ledgering? Or would the carp combo be best for both?

Apologies for all the questions, that's the problem with a small budget is you always want to get everything right...

Cheers

I wouldn’t even think about buying the 3lb Carp rod if I wanted a rod that could be used for float fishing, as you couldn’t get a rod that’s more unsuitable for float fishing than a 3lb Carp rod.

The Feeder rod has two quiver tips and I wouldn’t use that for Float fishing either as the tip would have a little too much give so picking up line off the surface with a float will be tricky; although it is still going to be better than a Carp rod for float fishing.

Out of the three the Float rod would be my choice as as well as being able to cast a light float and pickup line off of the surface with ease it could also be used for legering at a push.

Unless I were only going to be fishing fairly close in then my choice of float rod would be an 11ft to 13ft float rod, not a 3mtr Float rod.

Good luck in your choice.

Keith

Windy

Reaction score
Very kind of you Windy, not sure what size I would be for that but i'm 5ft 10 plus around 13st so might swamp me! Cheers

No probs, though the Maver stuff is pretty mean on size, so I don't think you'd be that far off a fit. If you're definitely passing on first refusal then open to any other forum member in good standing. Looking forward to a hundred PM's... :cool:

steve2

Reaction score
I have bought many items from decathlon and never had a problem with any of it. Rods, reels, lures,line, braid all cheaper and never stopped me catching fish. Just remember fish don't read the labels on tackle only anglers do that.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have a rod n possibly a reel, postage will not be much if Tricket would cover it. Put rod/rods in a tube and cut tube down to size, possible to get 2 rods in a tube if top n tail them .
Leigh Tackle and bait will post by using their own courier for £10, Royal mail and others will be similar price.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
It will fit you, Maver sizes are similar to Preston Innovations, I am similar height and weight to you and I use the PI bib n brace and jacket. You dont want them to be to tight a fit, need to allow for movement.

mikench

Reaction score
On a serious note we all must have Tackle we no longer need or use. I gave a rod , reel, bank stick and some termiñal Tackle to a young Polish lad who expressed an interest and was happy to do so. I was going to give some more ie a Maverick Abyss 11' feeder, an Oakwood 12' Avon rod bought of eBay for peanuts when I first started out and à Shimano Hyperloop 4000 réel and a Drennan 40 float reel with shallow spools. They would be fine with some hooks, floats and bits for anyone on a tight budget, young and just starting out or someone who has fallen on hard times in this Covid dominated world.

I offered them to the OP and that offer remains open but if logistics dictate against us then I will happily donate them to anyone on here who wants them. I can take them to Bromley on my next visit in November or they can be collected here.

I was going to hand them in to PAAS for their open day but it didn't happen.

steve2

Reaction score
Like most I have a stack of gear that never sees the light of day. Rods, reels, 100's of floats etc. It will all end up in a charity shop one day.