October on the river Lot, France

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
October started here with plenty of rain! Tail end of storm Alex and our usually fine autumn weather was brought to an abrupt halt, it was like being back in Scotland!

Anyway the storm finally moved on and after a week the river settled to a healthy level and we got back to fishing. Two different swims this last week and some good fishing for chub, bream and barbel.

Fishing buddy Alistair had a couple of good chub at our "garden swim" and I had a couple slightly smaller and a few barbel all around 4 lb.

IMG_20201012_094038148_HDR.jpg

Today I fished with another friend along the river a few miles, a nice easy access swim in Cajarc which I felt would hold bream.

1602781468191.jpg

It's deep and wide here and usually slow flowing, but no bream - but more barbel!

IMG_20201015_190103.jpg

Between us we had four between 4 lbs and 7.6 lb. The best gave a cracking account of itself and went around that buoy in the first photo. Fortunately it went out again and back upstream without the line fraying!

So, October is working out for us and still only half-way through! If there are no more storms it could be a wonderful month!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
You lucky beggars. ;)

We know we are! ;)

Every time we go down to the river the conversation includes "wonderful"... "amazing"... "Jurassic park" ..." how did we get here?"... " why are we the only anglers/people here" and always that little niggle "am I dreaming?" ...When I moved here I felt I had ported into an alternative (wonderful) Universe!

There are so many places so much further from the UK that British anglers spend a fortune to travel to and fish, yet this is on your (relative) doorstep!

There are many barbel and 50 lb + carp in just this short section of prehistoric river....

PANO_20201009_154350 (1).jpg

Fishing pressure is very low and it's a easy drive from the ferry ports. I hope when all this covid stuff has ended more British anglers make the journey and enjoy this beautiful part of France. It can still be a difficult river as essentially it is a spate river, but with a little good luck it can be so rewarding!

The town of Cahors is quite lovely and nestles in a loop of the river Lot, good fishing here as well....

Cahors wide.jpg

Apart from the French being....well....French! there is nothing bad to be said about this place. The culture here is a little laid-back and nothing gets done in a hurry. Frustrating sometimes for us from the UK, but it kind of grows on you!

Those of us who have landed here know just how lucky we are! ?

mikench

Reaction score
Enjoy it. One day I'll go to Nice and stay. I have visited Cahors and driven there from Nice when my youngest got a summer job there. I will drive over again some time. France is exquisite. You are right about the lack of haste. In the supermarket or Galleries Lafayette there is no rush to put items through the till and even modest items are beautifully wrapped with a gentle dialogue accompaniment. I know who has got it wrong and ce n'est les Françaises. If they threw out the awful chains like Starbucks , Macdonalds etc , remained closed on a Sunday life would be absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Lovely photos and write up as usual …do you work for the Lot tourist board Pelamid ? …lol :) It is a lovely place with great food fishing & scenery, I have fished the Lot a few times and its well worth a visit.

I know some areas became very publicized some years ago, around Cabanac for example and suffered as a few mindless morons spolit it with excessive fishing and ruined it for everyone. Its a shame but unfortunatly nothing ruins nice places quicker than human beings.

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Lovely photos and write up as usual …do you work for the Lot tourist board Pelamid ? …lol :) It is a lovely place with great food fishing & scenery, I have fished the Lot a few times and its well worth a visit.

I know some areas became very publicized some years ago, around Cabanac for example and suffered as a few mindless morons spolit it with excessive fishing and ruined it for everyone. Its a shame but unfortunatly nothing ruins nice places quicker than human beings.

I think, just now, this area could do with a few more tourists! It crossed my mind that singing the Lots praises might end with the morons of the angling world spoiling things, but I honestly believe that element is naturally lazy - and finding the fishing spots here takes effort!

Plenty of lakes suitable for a "quickie carp" will distract those anglers. I am sure the fishery managers (angling nannies!) will make sure their clients follow the rules there.

The local anglers are very proud of their river, visitors should treat the river and its fish with respect! ;)

mikench

Reaction score
Natural events can damage and destroy but nature always restores and often improves. When humanity wreaks havoc it's often terminal. Will we ever learn? Sadly I doubt it . I f I was an alien looking at earth and deciding if humanity should go to save it for others, I wouldn't even blink assuming I had eyes.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Back at the the river yesterday afternoon, trying to make the best of the odd sunny days. We have had a lot of grey days and a bit more rain than usual!

Cajarc has been fishing quite well and a few hours resulted in two barbel of 4 lb and 5 lb, then a bonus chub.......

Chub Cajarc 4 lb 10 ozs - Edited.jpg

Lit up by the setting autumn sun it's a beautiful creature. Funny how you can never catch chub when you try to target them, the better ones turn up when you are after barbel or carp. Anyway a beautiful, bronze, bonus fish of 4 lb 10 ozs that made me smile!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I was out for a cycle ride a couple of days ago, spotted a new map of the Lot region that our commune had set up for the tourists. So I thought a photo here might convey why this area and its rivers are so rich........

IMG_20201018_160223.jpg

Some very high mountains to the right, extinct volcano area top right. Many valleys with streams feeding the river Lot valley.

Whoever drew this map managed to convey an almost 3D effect, it gives a much better picture of just how intricate the landscape is here. As it has been drawn up for the tourists I would think it is OK to share this map online.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Over here on La Dordogne, the barbelling has been very consistent through October most evenings giving a fish or two and for once the barbel outnumber the bream, only I have only caught one reasonable chub from the garden, better chub seem few and far between, catch a few smaller ones on the fly though.
I seem to be the only angler “ coarse” fishing round here and the river still has a few fly anglers on it as we’re still in grayling season. Business remains good for our BnB but still hope to get over to the Lot for a couple of casts, before the end of the year, business, weather and Covid permitting. Tight Lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
It will take a stake through the heart to stop any of us "Old Gits" catching fish!

None of the Team Limogne fishing club "anglais à la retraite" like dawn starts to our fishing. But sometimes it's required, so forgive any tired faces and "La morosité satoriale" o_O

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Well thats my Roaching b*gg**d for the year then. It will be back to square one in the spring but looks like they had no other choice.

There is one heck of a lucky Roach out there that had my name on it I tell thee !
?

Last edited: