Off the wagon

S

sam oddy

Evening all,
Those that subscribe to the mailing list will probably be aware that I am a recovering carper. Last year however I had an unexpected run in with a true wildie whilst targetting a hoped for large tench. Five plus years therapy out of the window and by October I had had a load of wildies from another very small water. Great fun!

This year should fishing be allowed I have taken a ticket on another water with larger carp - up to 20lb+. Question is tackle. I sold the most of my carp tackle years ago and now apart from a 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 pound test rods together with a few avon rods I feel a wee bit undergunned. The waters I intend fishing ain't huge, the largest being maybe ten acres and I would have thought 2lb tc's would be ideal. Problem is the manufacturers seem to have kicked 2's into touch with most offering 2 1/2's upwards only. Are these as responsive or am I fishing with a poker; are they super stiff or fairly forgiving; is it still possible to buy lighter rods?

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

M

MARK FRAME

last year i bought from angling centre derby 2 x 1/34 test curve rods 12ft made by penn cheap an all good rods!

C

Carp Angler

Morning Sam,
Glad to see you back with the real men :)

They are loads of rods about in the 1 3/4 and 2lb class.
Let me know 11 or 12' and how much you want to spend and I'll post up some links and recommendations.
I'll also need your location, as you'll probably want to go and waggle them....

R

Rob Brownfield

Sam, North Western do some lovely lighter rods. They do a plain carbon range (Sealey) and the Kevlites. I have 1 1/2, 1 3/4, 2 1/4 and 2 3/4 test curve rods from them, and they are brillient in action and value. I built them myself and saved a packet too. Some shops and a very well know *expert* builder use thes blanks to bulid there own rods, and charge a fortune for them!
http://www.northwesternblanks.co.uk/carp.htm

S

sam oddy

Carp - Budget constraints allows about ?70 apiece and for some reason I seem to prefer 11 footers. I'm based in God's own country, Cumbria, Carlisle in fact but am trying to organise a trip to one of the upcoming tackle shows instead of the annual tackle "ratch" when we go off to one of the better stocked tackle shops. Thanks for the feedback!

S

sam oddy

Rob - thanks for the info and I will scrutinise their web site.

R

Rob Brownfield

Sam, my pleasure mate.
i have also built rods on Harrison and Centry blanks. If you are after a soft 11 footer, then Centrys Armalit is good. Fosters of Birmingham were doing so very good deals on 11 foot blanks as no one really buys them these days.
Sportex are worty a look at too. The Tackle SHop in Kent does these I believe.

A

Andy Bird

Evening Sam,
If its new rods your after i urge you to have a look at the new fox rangemasters. They are within your price range ,feel great to play fish on and they look and feel like rods costing twice the price. I have recently brought a set. If you want to take a look at them i will happily bring them up to the ponds.

David Preston

Reaction score
Sam, have a look at the Daiwa Sensor-Z range - everything from 1.75lb 11 footers upwards. You'll get a pair for 70 quid!

J

John Tait

Sam, welcome back !!

I also only usually fish small(ish) waters, and even on the 90+ acre reservoir which I was regularly fishing a couple of years back, I would fish the margins (near ones, that is !!).

I use Century Armalite Mark 1's, 12ft., 2.5 lb. test, and find that they are beautiful rods on which to actually play a fish - even right under the tip, there is no fear of hook-pulls. They are not the best of `chucking` rods, but are certainly a joy to use.

Jonty

D

Darren Wilson

Nashy is now ressurecting the lighter Carp rods in his Hooligun range. Starting at 11' 1 3/4lb TC upto 13' 3.5lb TC, they have a RRP of ?79.99 - ?99.99!!!!! Very good quality blanks with the usual Nash cosmetics (Nash end cap :)). Best about these rods is that they are designed for teh general angler in that Nash has realised that the vast majority of Carp Angler does not fish large big pits but fish waters in the 4-6 acre bracket where long range isn't needed, therefore the action of these is classed as a porgressive through action instead of being a out & out casting tool like a lot of manufacturers have been aiming for in recent times.