Okuma Aventa Pro (?90) OR Young's Purist Centrepin (?140)???

big gus

Reaction score
Both brand new...

Chaps, which would you choose?

Thanks

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have the Okuma and it is a lovely reel. No line gaurd but i don't use them as i walis cast.

Where can you get the Youngs for ?150 they are usually around the ?250 mark. If you get one for ?150 then i would be tempted by the youngs.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
It will not stay at that price. If it goes for less than ?200 i will be suprised.

I first came across the Okuma at a open day on the Ribble. Alan Roe who comes on hear occasionally was giving a demo and he rated the Okuma as good as the youngs.

big gus

Reaction score
Fair enough.

Thanks for the info Bryan. I'll stick with the Okuma.

big gus

Reaction score
Went back and had a look at this reel a few minutes before the auction closed...

The price hadnt moved so I put a bid in and got it for ?160.

Honest views on whether its a good deal would be appreciated...and any advice/tips from people with this reel would be welcomed.

Thanks chaps.

P

Phil Heaton

At ?160 you have stolen it, i've seen them with a reserve higher than that. Enjoy the reel, it only needs keeping clean and an occaisional drop of oil to the pin to keep it in good condition. When you get it if the pin is greased, fully clean it off and apply a light oil, in this cold weather grease may harden slightly.

darkuser80

Reaction score
Hell
for ?160 you can get a new Greys "Bewick" Centre pin, a true pin to boot, fantastic , and will improve with age. Had mine for ages, give The Tackle Exchange in Walton Surrey a ring, they also discount Youngs (all models)
Okuma are shat

big gus

Reaction score
Thanks Phil, appreciate the advice. Should be taking delivery in the next couple of days.

Merlot: dont think the Bewick is as good judging by opinions of others and tips/advice recently.

Thanks guys.

darkuser80

Reaction score
I was only saying it,in the sense that it is a true pin and takes time to bed in, the Young`s are great (I have a few) but have bearings and some folks get carried away with the free spinning argument, which actually tends to mask everything else, I can wallis cast as far with my Bewick as the Youngs and other similar models.
Anyway well done on your purchase and have fun....