One for the Daiwa c/f reel fans

nottskev

Reaction score
I won't be bidding. I tried one of these when my Ryobi cf packed in. Do you remember those rotary pencil sharpeners? It felt like one those. I sold it unused. Must be just me, because some people love them.

ian g

Reaction score
I won't be bidding. I tried one of these when my Ryobi cf packed in. Do you remember those rotary pencil sharpeners? It felt like one those. I sold it unused. Must be just me, because some people love them.

Not just you Kev , I had one lying around for a few years that I never used . I eventually sold it on Ebay . I have an old ABU which is much better.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve got a 125 with a ball race upgrade and have to say I prefer it to my Abu 506, however my Ryobi tops them all.

Aknib

Reaction score
I remember having one around 1985/6 and not sure which model it was, I reckon it might have been the 125 if the date ties in?

I agree that in their standard form they don't generally stack up to Abu, my Daiwa was nowhere near as good as my 501 back in the day and it did have a clunky, churning kind of sound to it with more of a dull click when you pressed the line pin in rather than that delightful little ding I always got with the 501.

As someone's already mentioned though there are those out there who seem to love 'em.

liphook

Reaction score
I like mine - all but one bought cheaply from ebay - but have serviced them all with a decent grease (yamaha marine blue) and added shims where necessary and ball bearings where possible. Adjusting the springs on the pin disengagement can be an easy fix in that department. Not overly keen on the 125 as I don't like the rear drag, preferring to back wind if necessary - I know, I must be ancient! Daiwa in Wishaw were still holding spares last time I enquired. Never used the Ryobi mind you, are they in a different league ? If so how? Gears bearings etc?

nottskev

Reaction score
I like mine - all but one bought cheaply from ebay - but have serviced them all with a decent grease (yamaha marine blue) and added shims where necessary and ball bearings where possible. Adjusting the springs on the pin disengagement can be an easy fix in that department. Not overly keen on the 125 as I don't like the rear drag, preferring to back wind if necessary - I know, I must be ancient! Daiwa in Wishaw were still holding spares last time I enquired. Never used the Ryobi mind you, are they in a different league ? If so how? Gears bearings etc?

I thought so - til I lost a vital spring and put mine out of action. Much wider spool so better line flow, gear lock so no risk of stripping gear when screwing rotor on and off, more positive action from the winding pin, less of a plastic feel. I'm talking myself into getting mine repaired.

ian g

Reaction score
This thread inspired me to de grease and re grease my ABU 501 , running better than ever now:D

buster

Reaction score
I’ve got a 125 with a ball race upgrade and have to say I prefer it to my Abu 506, however my Ryobi tops them all.
Do you have the size of the bearings that went in, i want to do my own but not sure of the size.

buster

Reaction score
Do you know what size bearings you bought for Daiwa, wanting to do mine.

liphook

Reaction score
I don't to be honest, from memory there were simple plastic bushings inside that I took out measured and replaced with equivalent sized bearings. From memory it was overall width x hole diameter x thickness?

trotter2

Reaction score

The Ryobi has its plus points one being it is very light for a reel which is the same size as a abu 507.
It's ready to use without removing any pawl to back wind.

Down side is they will not last as long as an abu original and because they are relatively rare compared to abu reels the lack of donor reels for parts can be problematic.