Opinion Piece - Is it just me?

slime monster

Reaction score
In the dark depressing period when the future of FM was in peril a lot of members including me regrouped via Facebook ,plans were afoot by some members to set up a new website ,members exchanged contact numbers and it seemed that if FM sank without a trace the sheer determination to survive as a group would see some form of FM continuing.
Now thanks to the efforts of a few not least Graham Marsden here we are safe in the
"NEW" fishing magic ,ok it is not exactly what it was but it's all we have and I am very grateful for that and so should anyone who is a member .
life is very rarely perfect but we have to get on with it and make the most of what we have,to those that for reasons I do not understand have all but abandoned this site I say just remember the uncertainty we had and be grateful we have got this site .

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
My feelings exactly Slime.

I joined face book to be part of that Angling Group, but i didn't really get on with using Facebook.

I like the new FM, i don't want all jingly jangly fancy trimmings, i quite like having the ability to chat to other members, and share knowledge with other members and of course to learn off other members.

I would like to get more involved with Meets and Fish ins etc in the future, but, for now i am happy with the free website that FM is to all of us.

klik2change

Reaction score
was only a member of the old FM for a short time, and i didn't post no where near as often, as i have on this new site. Sometimes, in all walks of life, when you ask what is an extremely important question for you, it isn't always an important issue for others, and that is why you sometimes getting very few or no responses what so ever. I am no where near an accomplished Angler, but, even i am guilty of treating New Anglers with what can be deemed as, my god i can not believe that they are asking such a simple question, isn't it obvious to them what the answer is ? Tha answer to that is obviously, no they are not, which is why they are asking, again, some people feel that the question has been asked so many times in the past it isn't worth answering. When i do post a serious reply to a question (ok, not often) it is to educate others, not so that i can have a big pat on the back, i do it because i know that i was in their position once, and i will probably more than likely be in that position again, and i would like to think that someone would go out of their way to help and advise me (and they have on numerous occassions) on this new FM and the Old one as well. It is difficult to come up with new ideas, and questions to post on to FM, that have not already been covered numerous times in the past (i have raised this in earlier threads) and, i for one, sometimes feel uncomfortable by keep asking people questions on how, why, where etc as i sometimes feel like i am badgering them. I didn't join FM all them years ago (well 2 years actually) to make friends, i joined to try and learn as much about the sport that i love, as i could. The fact that i like to think i have made some online friends along the way, for me, is an additional bonus, to which i am grateful, but, i in no way take for granted. Thank you to everyone who has made FM possible to us Anglers, and thank you to everyone who contributes to FM because without them, FM would be dead in the water, and a lot of beginners to Angling would struggle to learn, and a lot of People wouldn't have made the friends and associates that they have. Love it, or Hate it, it is Legendary and a God send to Anglers like me. Your challenge should be to find something better than this, because, for me it just doesn't exist. Don't moan about how Bad you may feel it has become, contribute to it and make it better (If indeed you can).

Entirely laudable sentiments SV. I feel the same way as you about nearly all of this... Yet again you save me a lot of time!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I have never personally had the pleasure of meeting Baz, well not that i am aware of, and i am sure that he is a great character and a lovely bloke as well.

I am unsure how he'll make everything better for the small group of doubters on here that think that FM is failing them in some way. Personally, i think that it is that small group that are failing FM, and looking for excuses as to why they can not contribute in their own way to make things better for themselves.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Right back on track.

Kevin, I do agree, there is something missing, but I can't put my finger on it? But as has already been said, FM could be gone now, but it's still here thankfully. Get your FM writing head on mate, use the new FM to generate something. I know you can do it, you've just got some new characters to work with and many of the old uns are still here too. Just don't bring me into it again ;) I'm sure you could do a good un about the Aces v Chavs at Clattercote, although nothing happened this year did it?

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have never personally had the pleasure of meeting Baz, well not that i am aware of, and i am sure that he is a great character and a lovely bloke as well.

I am unsure how he'll make everything better for the small group of doubters on here that think that FM is failing them in some way. Personally, i think that it is that small group that are failing FM, and looking for excuses as to why they can not contribute in their own way to make things better for themselves.

It's just like fishing. The more that anyone puts into a forum, the more that they will get back out of it (pardon the punt)

Jimmy.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the articles that Marsbar has done lately and the very interesting debates that have come from them? I have, he's doing his bit to get the debates going again.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
It's a great way to get Feed Back from everyone and in an honest and open way too.

Some people do not like to give Feed Back incase it is misconstrude as them being Negative, this way, they almost feel like they have been given permission.

It's always good to have big bold characters in all walks of life, because it helps those that are not so confident to blend in, but without it being to obvious that they are there.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Back on topic.

Jimmy.

See you Jimmy, I'm afraid it may never happen. As GM says, I doubt whether Baz wants to come back.
(did ya like ma wee Scottish accent?)

As for Deanos, well I spoke to him just a few weeks ago and he's in disgrace, I'm afraid. Reason being, He's been working so hard he's lost 15 stone and was in danger of winning Weightwatchers Slimmer Of The Year.

Instead, he decided to lock himself up in his auntie Kath's garage again with the remaining stock of donkey pies and won't come out until he's regained all of his weight loss. You have to hand it to the man, he's proud of being fat!

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
See you Jimmy, I'm afraid it may never happen. As GM says, I doubt whether Baz wants to come back.
(did ya like ma wee Scottish accent?)

Hi Geff: You may-be wrong there. :eek:) Ref: As GM says, I doubt whether Baz wants to come back.

Baz: Is doing really great, and I do understand his points as am sure most of us do.
Is it not about time that we all THROUGH away our so called axes and get them (ex-members) back.
Baz & Deano's were like little and large, really good laugh and when things did get a bit HOT they were the ones that cam-ed things down in there own laughable way.
To me it's not that Baz & Deano's needs FM, it's FM that needs them.
This is just MY OPINION.
Jimmy.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jimmy, no diss' mate, but this is the wrong thread to be discussing Baz and Deanos on. In my humble opinion.

Any failings that FM has, as Kevin has tried to highlight, in his opinion, aren't down to two members. I love Deanos and Baz, but Graham had to call it the way he did. Perhaps it could have gone to the 'new' poll, but at the end of the day Graham is the Boss.

I hope Deanos and Baz return to FM, I honestly do miss them.

Kevin, come on mate get those fingers hitting the keys again ;)

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
in the past there appeared to be a higher quality to the posts, and posters, for that matter.”
I don’t know about forum driven but I certainly realise that the forum is, and always has been, a very important part of the site and I make no apologies for the new forum offering a plethora of opportunities to comment and for it trying to cater for everyone’s taste. As for the old forum having higher quality posts and posters, I disagree; since some of the idiots and trolls have been ridded out I think the quality of both has gone up considerably. Page down five times? That depends on your screen and resolution, it takes me three times. The old site averaged 300 to 400 posts per day, yesterday the new site clocked up 359 posts. If you think back to the time before the days of forums and blogs and social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, when fishing magazines had several lively letter’s pages, they were the pages that most anglers turned to first to follow the debates between contributors and readers. It’s no different today, but the letter pages are forums.
As you can see Stealph was hard at it :)

I agree that the old site was a special place. It had a strangely exclusive feel to it without a them and us atmosphere, everyone was like a family. However, the family are still here and we have new members coming in daily as before but this site feels more......encompassing...... open..... bigger.... I can't put my finger on it. It's not worse, it's the people who make the community and the same fantastic people are here (I know some post less or not at all but the core is the same).

I've always enjoyed Kevin's contributions to the site, his observations can be eye watering so hopefully you will find your groove again soon.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Fingers in my eyes .................... I'm not listening LALALALALALALALALALALA

Personally, i am very disappointed with some of the views i have read so far regarding FM.

It is a free website, where anglers can meet up with other anglers from all other the country and all over the world, how often do we as anglers get that opportunity from the comforts of our own homes.

Anglers can, post articles about fishing, and fishing related topics, anglers can read, and even learn things about angling in these postings.

Anglers can have discussions on the forum about Angling and if they're feeling a little cheeky they can post non angling topics in bait box, they can and do make friends with other like minded anglers, which in all honesty, probably wouldn't have happened with out the adage of the FM Website.

Yet, some still want more than that, it's free, it's on the whole friendly and welcoming, it's no where near as strict as some websites of this kind .................. why is this not enough ??

It is for me, but perhaps i am just happy with the simple pleasures in life :mad:

Last edited: