Opinion Piece - Is it just me?

r1paul

Reaction score
Can't help but add my contribution to this by agreeing with almost everything Graham has written in his reply, but then (in the words of the infamous Mandy Rice-Davies) "I would, wouldn't I." seeing as he is head-honcho, the big cheese, numero-uno still. And that is the one key factor that has not altered, Graham is still IC (in charge).

The period after the announcement of the closure of the old site was very damaging indeed and even the buy-out by Fish And Fly didn't seem to overwhelm everyone with joy. As Graham has said though, were it not for Fish and Fly (and owner Richard Hewitt) we wouldn't be here at all. We all were aware that changes would be made to the format of the site and when it came about it did look somewhat different.

Therein lies the big problem - different. Some people take a while to get used to things being different, it doesn't feel right, it's not the same, and to that attach much more blame than is warranted. In the Data Processing industry, we branded people like that R.T.C. (Reluctant To Change), but in time they usually accepted the new ways of doing things and soon enough became staunch supporters of the new methods. I hope the same happens with Kevin in time.

Similarly, some people grow really attached to their old cars, wonderful pieces of engineering and reliable as the air we breath. And then they change through necessity and the new car is never quite as good and it gets criticized at every turn until - through necessity, they get another new car. The old one is then held up as the perfect model they will miss forever.

Just to sum up, I think this website is a reflection on life. People come, people go, some sadly not of their own free will like Barrie Rickards recently. We miss them when they do go, but as one commentator said "In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life. It goes on." (Robert Frost)

Stick with it, Kevin, it will improve and be all the better for everyone's input.
I have no problem with the new site , I get what I need , good articles , information from the forum and a bit of banter now and again .:cool:
But there is lack of " old members" ,posting , I know that Graham can`t think of more than 3 , I can`t put a name to any of them , but I know that they are missing:confused:
Someone said of late that the old site was like one big faimly , which is spot on ,but I`m sorry to say , it doesn`t feel like that on this site , which is a tad sad .:(

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Les, do you think that's because we've changed home, because I honestly can't think of many 'old members' who are missing. There are a few who don't post as often granted, but nothing more than that.

Moving home can disrupt a family, and I don't see why it should be any different with a cyber family. But that's usually only until we all settle in properly. After all, most who say they detect a change can't put their finger on why, so what else can it be?

nickzulu

Reaction score
Well, the first of what may be several apologies, as I’m posting this from my ‘lurking’ temporary sign on. I’m in between mode at the moment, in between homes, new one built, still got 3 months to go on a renter and in between jobs, moving away and too far to commute.

First and foremost let me say that I have the utmost respect and admiration for Graham, both with what he has achieved with the site (old and, thank God, the new) and for putting up with my inane rambling for seven years, and even more than that, for having the courage to unleash them to you, the unsuspecting and public.

The article is published under the ‘Opinion Piece’ banner and as such, is just that, my opinion. Graham took the time to answer all the concerns I raised, and those points were by and large very well answered.

When I submitted the piece, I did tell Graham that I had written and re-written it several times, I had rambled on to over 2000 words at one point (it’s below 1500 now) and I still wasn’t sure that what I said was what I felt. But you know how it is with us men, very hard to explain your feelings, let alone write about them.....!

I am fully aware that the old and new sites are different, and that different doesn’t mean ‘not as good’ But it is interesting that several of those who have commented on the article have mentioned that something is ‘missing’ and they can’t explain what it is, and if they can’t, what chance have I got trying to put that feeling into words?

I think that the point I made that it now seems that many of the articles pass without comment is valid. To those who take the time to contribute, the excitement of seeing your work accepted and put up on screen is completely dashed when it appears that no-one has apparently read it, let alone taken the trouble to comment , good or bad on what they’ve just read.

As to ‘missing’ members, again, I accept that a lot of the old ‘uns are still here, and may well be posting and contributing less, the membership of any organisation is a movable feast. But what is filling the void that they are leaving what is rushing into the vacuum? Volume is no substitute for quality, there may be more posts, but is the quality and/or content the same...?
Cont......

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Part 2.......
As to my own efforts, the lack of archive means that I (and all the other long term contributors) have no real ‘provenance’ on the site now. Jeff said he has talked to Graham about re-running the ‘Silt-Walters Letters’ but they were written with quite a narrow readership in mind, and that may not be relevant now. Likewise, a lot of the Alternative Angler’ pieces were contemporary when they were first written and published, their relevance would not be meaningful now.

I said in the article that I tried desperately not to plagiarise or repeat anything in the articles I have written over the years. It may well be that the ‘Donald and Damien’ stories were formulaic, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, plenty of TV comedies over the years have trodden a well-worn path without their popularity waning to any great degree.

In my opinion, a re-run of old articles isn’t really the way to go on FM. I accept that it’s OK for the weeklies to just rotate four versions of the same article, pellet fishing with the waggler, waggler fishing using pellets, the pellet/waggler approach, tactics for waggler/pellet fishing etc. etc. ad nausea, but I would hope that FM members expect a little bit more variety in their articles....

Steve Spiller asked about a report from me on the Chavs v Aces match. Again, anything I write will only be relevant to the thirty or so people who were there, and if I turned my jaundiced keyboard onto one particular incident, for instance, it would cause far more upset than it would entertainment. I might have done that a while ago, but not now.

I hope the satirical inspiration comes back soon, I doubt it will be back up the weekly output that I reached on the ‘old’ site, but I still hope I can do enough to make a worthwhile contribution

Regards
Kevin

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
The 'funny' thing is, I agree that 'something' is missing, but I question whether it's quality of content or more a case of what I've already broached with Les; is it simply a case of us moving home and it's taking us time to settle in?

Kevin, you will know better than most what it feels like to move home, as you're in the thick of it right now, and I can tell by some of the things you've written that you're obviously unsettled and will be glad when you've moved and settled in. But you also probably know that it won't go without a hitch - these things never do - and if you liken moving home to moving data from one web site to another, and the bloody removal men let you down and lose some furniture and destroy some, and on top of that you've got to buy new furniture and hope everybody likes it, you probably see where I'm coming from.

All I'm asking is that our small team of removal men are given time to restore some furniture, replace some, and hope the family comes to like the new stuff.

P

puttestuts

I don't want to offend anyone by commenting on this topic, I had'nt found FM until after the change, so I can only comment on the new, I have found it tremendously helpful, the articles clear and well written. My questions have been taken seriously and answered fully (thank you Rodney in particular) and thanks to Steph (Stelph Viper) for his gentle teasing and comments that make me smile. What I am trying to say is - more power to you elbow Graham and long may FM continue.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Kevin,

It's got to come from your heart mate, you are very funny. You're a quiet bloke in the flesh, I looked at you last time we met and thought what's going round in his head? You can look at a situation and find humour in it, I spose that's what makes you a good writer.

The Aces v Chavs was just a 'for instance'. I remember one piece you did where all the characters were FM members, I think you used me as 'Grumpy' (can't understand why?) :D That made me feel like part of the FM family. Maybe some of the family have moved away or just post less, but FM still is a family of like minded anglers.

I can think of more than 3 members who have gone or don't post anymore, but I'm not gonna write a list of them because it's pointless. I miss them, but for whatever reason they have made their choice.

I've also said before that I've not commented on your articles, that didn't mean I didn't like them, I just chuckled to myself. A counter of 'views' on articles would be a good idea I think, at least if no one comments on them you will see that members are reading your articles.

Stop feeling down in the dumps mate, use the new and old members for inspiration. I hope you will do a Christmas one this year.

Good luck with the house and job.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I thought about putting together a post on this subject until I read Xplorers offering........and then decided that what he said just about echoed my own thoughts!!

I cannot say why I still miss the old FM layout-I wish I could-but the new offering just seems a little less personal,for example,I no longer have my own collection of Threads of mine and others which I used to refer to from time to time etc etc.Perhaps it all sounds rather silly in a way...that I'm not open minded to change....perhaps thats also an age thing in a way.....who knows?

Nevertheless I do still log on most days,I still try to offer advice and often put up Threads that may be of interest NOT necessarily because I want an answer but because I think others might learn from them!

I suppose its like anything these days,interest seems to wane very quickly and content beit FM(or a programme on tele)just starts to become boring after similar threads start to repeat or a TV programme runs yet another series when the viewing figures are already dropping......

Still,it is still okay(ish) and generally interesting(but I do avoid threads that go off on stupid tangents or when obvious friends start to use it a conversation service!!)and I will continue to partake in the immediate future.........

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
<Shakes Head> in complete disbelief ................. i give in :p

Let me try to put this in to perspective for you all.

It's Free.

It's yours to do pretty much as you please with, so long as you stay with in the very loose rules that Graham and his team ask of us.

If things are not how you would like them to be it is because you are not making them how you would like them to be.

It has sod all to do with the wallpaper on the walls or the carpets on the floor or the odd chair out of place.

It is because you and you alone are not making it home.

Get over it, get in to it and pack in the whingeing ................... god that really irritates me.

Oh i forgot to swear lots and lots in there somewhere, forgive me :D V

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
To those who take the time to contribute, the excitement of seeing your work accepted and put up on screen is completely dashed when it appears that no-one has apparently read it, let alone taken the trouble to comment , good or bad on what they’ve just read.

How can you measure whether anyone has read it or not, Kevin? Surely not by the comments?

I'll give an example, my report (part 1) of our International Pike Challenge, just how many posts did that encourage?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. One! and that from Stealph Vider who was complaining that the article couldn't be viewed, a fault (maybe mine) where the thread was started automatically before the article went live. Graham made the other two posts to apologise and then to say that the articel was up.

Since then, not one single comment.

Does this mean that my piece completely missed the mark? Should I bother writing a second part to it, and then the final part? Should I bother writing ever again if I can't get people to post?

Personally, I don't want members to come on a say "What a brilliant article....", forgive me for saying, but it sounds too much like self-indulgence. Of course I would like people to read all of our articles and I do have an idea of how many at least called it up on their screens.

As Graham himself once said, perhaps the reason no one is postign is because you've checked all of the boxes and they have no questions or comment to make - it's perfect. (I would like to think that. :cool:) I do wonder how many people read every story in every daily newspaper and do the reporters consider it a failure if not one letter of praise or complaint is sent in? I frankly doubt it and they would probably say, so long as they pay me......

Sadly, we don't pay as it's a community site, but I reckon you can take comfort in the fact that so many regulars are missing your weekly missives and brain busting, belly wobbling (through laughter) contributions. Look at this very thread, I can't get this kind of response with upsetting them with Loop Methods and Death Rigs .

We must meet up again soon and I may make a recommendation for a change of medication. Or perhaps, it's just winter and you've not enjoyed the summer so much what with the disruption and all. A blanking session is what's called for, or a b*rb*l session! :D

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

is it simply a case of us moving home and it's taking us time to settle in?

I agree there. When you move house the new one never feels like yours until you've redecorated every room. Perhaps members could suggest a new colour scheme for FM.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. One! and that from Stealph Vider who was complaining that the article couldn't be viewed, a fault (maybe mine) where the thread was started automatically before the article went live. Graham made the other two posts to apologise and then to say that the articel was up.

Yeah, you tell them Wolfy, and, i only posted that because i had answered everything else on the Forum ............

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Reaction score
is it simply a case of us moving home and it's taking us time to settle in?

Like the imagery...bit like my Rugby Club...we have combined with the other local sports clubs and as a result of selling land to a national builder we now have a Club house which is regarded as one the best in the North West; probably the best of any "Junior" Club. All visiting clubs are pretty envious. === but...we still have to get used to it...and we do miss the comforting familiarity of the decrepit old clubhouse..with its wood panels, battered furniture and memories...however give us time...cos the folk haven't left (and indeed we've recruited new exciting members from Brazil, South Africa, Czech Republic, New Zealand, Australia and Stockport)......OK so we've only really added Stealph... so that's where the metaphor falls down a bit.....:p;):wh:w

Last edited:

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
So many things to comment on.........

Mark,

I know what you mean about other writers getting the credit for your articles, every time I do a piece about trotting or fishing for mullet everyone thinks you wrote it....

Woody

Amanda (or at least her inspiration, the blonde triplet) has moved to to the Middle East, and we may not see her like again, I'm afraid.

Steve

You wonder what's going on in my head - welcome to my world...!!!

Several members (including Graham) have commented that there is a feeling that they just can't put their finger on. I think I now know have a food analogy that describes it exactly.

The new site is like an 'All you can eat' Chinese buffet. Mountains of food, dozens of choices where you can keep on trying different dishes until you are completely and utterly stuffed. Then an hour later, you get those little pangs of hunger again....

The old site was like a Lamb Stew, only a few diferent ingredients, a helping of veg, the odd tasty bit of meat, an occasional lump of gristle, maybe a bit of bone that would get stuck in your throat, but all held together with a rich gravy that would have you looking for a a slice of bread to mop the bowl clean at the end. And you would have a nice warm feeling for hours afterwards.

Am I close with that description......... ???