Oppose Open Access for canoes

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
shared access is simply pie in the sky!

Not in Wales it seems. Welsh Gvt MP John Griffiths - minister for sport would you believe - proclaims loudly that rivers (ie a sporting resource) should be shared. If he get this though I think I'll share some resources with him. Maybe by organizing a motor cycle trail-bike rally on his golf course next time he's playing. Who would care to join me? :)

davethesax

Reaction score
Not in Wales it seems. Welsh Gvt MP John Griffiths - minister for sport would you believe - proclaims loudly that rivers (ie a sporting resource) should be shared. If he get this though I think I'll share some resources with him. Maybe by organizing a motor cycle trail-bike rally on his golf course next time he's playing. Who would care to join me? :)

Lets not pussy-foot about. My mate in The Royal Tank Regiment says he could borrow a squadron of Challenger tanks for a weekend as long as his CO doesn’t find out. Cost a few beers though.:D

daji

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that open access is such a bad idea. Rivers and waterways should be there for all to enjoy whether you're angling or canoeing. Who's to say that canoeists are not equally as passionate about our waterways and the environment as Anglers?

richiekelly

Reaction score
I'm not so sure that open access is such a bad idea. Rivers and waterways should be there for all to enjoy whether you're angling or canoeing. Who's to say that canoeists are not equally as passionate about our waterways and the environment as Anglers?

Do you fish rivers? have you ever fished the Wye and had 2 dozen drunk paddlers come through your swim? or how about fishing a small clear river do you think paddlers will do your fishing any good? do you pay for your fishing? paddlers don't want to they want it all for free.

Would you like to see paddlers dragging canoes across spawning grounds when fish are spawning?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I imagine that those of us who signed-up received the same mail:

It goes to show that when organised, some progress can be made!

Thursday 16th January 2014
Sent by the Sustainable Access Campaign Cymru, established by Angling Cymru, Angling Trust, Countryside Alliance, Country Land and Business Association, Fish Legal and the Welsh Salmon and Trout Angling Association

Welsh Anglers Unite to Support Campaign for Sustainable Access

Representatives of the Sustainable Access Campaign Cymru (SACC) took their campaign for locally-managed access to land and water to the home of Welsh politics, The National Assembly for Wales on Wednesday 15th January. They hosted an exhibition of angling to stress the importance of the £150 million freshwater recreational angling sector to the Welsh economy, and to highlight the risks that proposals for universal access to land and water being discussed by the Minister for Culture and Sport John Griffiths would pose to this sector.
Almost 100 anglers from across Wales were accompanied by rural organisations, riparian owners and landowners at the angling exhibition which filled the Senedd hall much to the delight of visiting Assembly Members. Those present were very pleased indeed to welcome the legendary former Wales and British Lions player Gareth Edwards - a passionate angler who spent the day meeting fellow anglers and politicians. The event, which received cross party support, was sponsored by David Rees AM, Llyr Gruffydd AM, Antoinette Sandbach AM and William Powell AM.
More than 50 organisations and 2,000 individuals have signed up to support SACC which aims to challenge these proposals before they have a chance to take shape in a green paper that was due to be published in the autumn, but has been delayed. It is thought that the volume of letters from SACC supporters, and the representations made to Assembly Members by farmers, anglers and wildlife groups has made the government think again about an access free-for-all in Wales. Opposition Assembly Members will be asking the Minister on 20 January why the green paper has not yet come forward.
Since its launch in November 2013, SACC has raised £10,000 in donations from angling clubs and individuals who are concerned about the damage to wildlife habitats and the economic impact on angling, farming and other rural businesses that universal access would cause. The funds will be spent on campaign materials and on legal advice to resist any proposals that could damage the interests of hundreds of angling clubs and fisheries in Wales.
ENDS
Notes to editors:
1. The Sustainable Access Campaign Cymru (SACC) was founded by Angling Cymru, Angling Trust, CLA Cymru, Countryside Alliance, Fish Legal and the Welsh Salmon and Trout Angling Association. More information here: SACC - Home

steve1

Reaction score
[QUOTEWould you like to see paddlers dragging canoes across spawning grounds when fish are spawning?[/QUOTE]

As a kayaker who also is a fisher this is one topic that 99% of kayaker would agree with fisherfolk. Both sports are done by people who enjoy the outdoor environment and love a healthy river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richiekelly

Reaction score
[QUOTEWould you like to see paddlers dragging canoes across spawning grounds when fish are spawning?

As a kayaker who also is a fisher this is one topic that 99% of kayaker would agree with fisherfolk. Both sports are done by people who enjoy the outdoor environment and love a healthy river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the damage done by the other % will do enough damage, what have paddlers done to improve the riverine environment or to try to improve the health of rivers?

steve1

Reaction score
I know of many kayak clubs/groups who have done a litter pick on sections of rivers.

Plus I often am picking fishing line with hooks out of overhanging branches of snagged to the side. To suggest the a paddler doesn't want a healthy river is a bit of a simple view. At the end if the day they are in the river.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My mate was salmon fishing with the fly on a pool of the Welsh Dee on club water. Canoeists, (I refuse to call them "paddlers", it implies something cute, child-like and nice) that weren't authorised to be there, came down through his pool. When he remonstrated with them that they had no permission to be there he was told to **** off! Additionally, when the heroes got out of casting range they repeatedly smacked their paddles on the water to ruin his pool. They were scum who feel they are entitled to go anywhere they please.

Canoes and rafts have ruined large sections of one of the greatest salmon rivers in the world, The Tay.

Coming to a river near you....soon!

steve1

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Tay is used by raft companies that cater to stag/hen doo's. I don't know of any rivers in England and only the Trywern in Wales. That this would apply to.

robtherake

Reaction score
My mate was salmon fishing with the fly on a pool of the Welsh Dee on club water. Canoeists, (I refuse to call them "paddlers", it implies something cute, child-like and nice) that weren't authorised to be there, came down through his pool. When he remonstrated with them that they had no permission to be there he was told to **** off! Additionally, when the heroes got out of casting range they repeatedly smacked their paddles on the water to ruin his pool. They were scum who feel they are entitled to go anywhere they please.

Canoes and rafts have ruined large sections of one of the greatest salmon rivers in the world, The Tay.

Coming to a river near you....soon!

I've never met a nice one yet! Believe me, I fish alone and as quiet as a mouse - never bother anyone. When I asked a couple of canoeists coming downstream to move over a little - just nicely got the chub going! - they did a handbrake turn right in front and came out with the foulest stream of invective you ever heard, including the threat of drowning... I was speechless and more than a little scared. Packed up and peed off as soon as they were out of sight.

Another time and another encounter- this time with a single canoeist - went a little better. I saw this one coming from a bit further upstream and (pleasantly, mind) asked him to move over. He changed direction to intersect directly with my line of trot, grinning like a maniac, so I dropped the rod and as soon as he came in range, put a big pouch of finest bronzes down the seat hole.

Last I saw of him, he was desperately trying to catch up with his paddle - served him right, the prick :D It still ruined the day though, as I'm not big and terrifying enough for any serious confrontation, so it was time to pack up again (sigh) :(

daji

Reaction score
Well i can see why some of you would feel like that after such bad experiences. Hopefully this is just a minority giving Canoeists a bad name. People must have had some positive experiences? A canoeist rescuing snagged tackle or similar?

richiekelly

Reaction score
Well i can see why some of you would feel like that after such bad experiences. Hopefully this is just a minority giving Canoeists a bad name. People must have had some positive experiences? A canoeist rescuing snagged tackle or similar?

No way is it minority giving them a bad name in my experience, I have had them come through my swim on small rivers where they have no right to be, I have had them coming over weirs on bigger rivers when there are signs well before the weir telling them they are not allowed, had them on "no boat" sections of the Trent stop in front of me doing allsorts.

There are some canoeists that stick to doing it within the law and have some respect for other water users but their numbers are far outweighed by those that do not, unfortunately this minority get tarred with the same brush as the majority who couldn't care less.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
There are some canoeists that stick to doing it within the law and have some respect for other water users but their numbers are far outweighed by those that do not, unfortunately this minority get tarred with the same brush as the majority who couldn't care less.
My experience is the same Mr Blanker. It don't help that the 'governing bodies' of the canoe fraternity wilfully promote unlawful canoeing and pretend the laws are inaccurate. Naturally this helps to promote some canoeists viewpoint that they have every right to be there. They don't.

tryanythingtwice

Reaction score
My experience is the same Mr Blanker. It don't help that the 'governing bodies' of the canoe fraternity wilfully promote unlawful canoeing and pretend the laws are inaccurate. Naturally this helps to promote some canoeists viewpoint that they have every right to be there. They don't.

Well of course your experiences are going to be the same as Mr Blankers. If they are on non-navigable water they are by dint of that fact breaking the law and as such are a law breaking majority.... but unless you know how many other canoeists are out paddling legally that day...

Dead right about their governing bodies, telling local groups not to sign access agreements with angling clubs. that helps no one.

The way I see it is even if Open Access is denied they will still carry on. A law that cannot be enforced is a waste of time and I don't think there is the manpower or probably the will to do so.

Where I fish on the Hants Avon the Riverkeeper had some 'strong words' with trespassing canoeists, unfortunately they filmed it, he received a Police caution. I have encountered several canoeists on the stretch (he now does nothing), have told them the law and they have told me they don't agree with that interpretation and that has been that, no real problems aggression wise. However on the navigable bit of the Wye I fish I've had a little more grief from them, but they have not been proper canoeists but ******-up tossers who would be tossers whatever they were doing. The worse lot? Richmond Canoe Club on the tidal Thames where they do time trials sometimes coming within a foot of the bank, 121b Pro Gold does slow them down just enough to practice my Anglo-Saxon phrases:mad: