Oppose Open Access for canoes

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
This one is so important. If they push this open acess idea though in Wales then England will be next (it's already in Scotland) - it will crucify angling. Apart from the obvious canoes it will also mean anyone can walk up to your private syndicate carp lake and just... go for a swim, if they fancy it - because it includes 'wild swimming'. And there'll be nothing anyone can do about it.

Please, please sign it.

SACC - Supporters

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Hi Geoff.
I clicked the link but I'm none the wiser as to who exactly is calling for universal access.
Or the difference between sustainable access and universal access.
Not having a pop but a little clarity wouldn't go amiss.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Geoff.
I clicked the link but I'm none the wiser as to who exactly is calling for universal access.

Welsh Assembly (the politicians in Cardiff) looks to be saying "Oes" and several other Welsh words for 'Yes' to universal access to waters.

Welsh land and fishery owners are saying "Nage" and several other Welsh words for 'No' and want "sustainable" negotiated access (and preferably none at all).

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Job done I will pass the message on to my sons and friends.

Keith M

Reaction score
Signed.

Mind you if anyone swam in some of our rivers they would open themselves up to catching Wells disease, especially after floodwater has washed through the rat holes in the banks, so it would serve them right. LOL

We could also hold a few 'fill the canoes with maggots' catapult competitions to break up the day, or 'hit the canoeists with stodgy groundbait' tournaments, after they had scared all the fish and wildlife away.

'All done in the best possible taste' of course LOL

Last edited:
P

pointngo

Signed. Even regular canoeists from riverbank clubs can be downright selfish in how they conduct themselves on rivers in respect to anglers so I hate to think what the lone muppets would get up to.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Signed.

Mind you if anyone swam in some of our rivers they would open themselves up to catching Wells disease, especially after floodwater has washed through the rat holes in the banks, so it would serve them right. LOL

We could also hold a few 'fill the canoes with maggots' catapult competitions to break up the day, or 'hit the canoeists with stodgy groundbait' tournaments, after they had scared all the fish and wildlife away.

'All done in the best possible taste' of course LOL

Maggots, worms and mashed up fish (pike groundbait) would do the job.

Petition signed.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Signed. Even regular canoeists from riverbank clubs can be downright selfish in how they conduct themselves on rivers in respect to anglers so I hate to think what the lone muppets would get up to.

On my bit of the Wye the solo canoeists are the best behaved. It's the hire companies renting out packs of a dozen craft to drunken stag-parties which are the worst. But none can be considered good for a fishery.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

We have a local woman who promotes 'wild swimming' in our area. The first time I saw them I thought a canoe had sunk and they were in trouble but no... just a bunch of nutters :(

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

PB put it in a nutshell but the deeper picture is that the pro-canoe bods are very vocal and lobby loudly in govt. These have persuaded a welsh govt MP called John Griffiths (Minister for Sport!) to push the idea that anyone should be able to access any bit of water, anywhere, for free to 'share resources'. Canoes and wild swimmers are the main threat and its a very real one. If Wales falls then England will be next, with Scotland and Wales held up as examples of how 'it works'. Picture your local commercial or carp lake - when a bunch of travellers turn up for a swim - and they will - and nobody, police included, can do anything at all about it. Or they want to launch a couple of perfectly legal kayaks on Marsh Farm. Interesting thought isn't it. I suggest everyone to get this brought to the attention of every angling forum in the country. Don't rely on so called river trusts and authorities to protect you either - the govt is handing out something called Splash Funding (big £s) to help promote canoes on rivers/lakes. Money has a habit of changing minds. The Wye and Usk Foundation for instance is already under extreme criticism by local anglers for accepting grants to promote canoeing on the upper Wye where there is no PRN (Public Right of Navigation).

symonh2000

Reaction score
So in theory, if you had a pond at the bottom of your garden there would be nothing stopping anyone with a canoe from having a go in it?

That is ridiculous, surely they would be trespassing as they crossed the private land to the water?