Orchid Lakes

K

Keith Woodley

I recently went for four days fishing at Orchid Lakes. After reading the reports of the lake and how nice "Marshy" was, I couldn't wait to arrive.
The day before, we phoned the lake to ask if it would be OK to arrive at about 8 o'clock in the evening. We were told that this would be no problem and to phone if we have trouble finding it.
After following the directions to the letter we weren't at the lake, so we phoned on a mobile. Shortly after directions were given we arrived, the time was 8:20pm. The owner, Marsh Pratley, met us and took us through the rules. He also said that he couldn't drive us to our swims as we were too late, and that he had had a long day. Three of the four of us that went had just spent 10 hours working in a meat factory before driving for over 2 hours from near Cambridge. It was not too late for him to take ?280 from the four of us, however.
My Dad, Vic, asked if we could drive ourselves round to the swims along the hard stone road that runs around the entire lake, and then return our cars to the car park. We were told we couldn't and that only the owner was allowed to because he owned it and it was his rule!
Fair enough we thought. We setup in the Alamo (the nearest swim), with the intentions of moving the next day.
In the morning my girlfriend and I moved to another swim. My Dad asked the owner to drive his gear around to his selected swim, which he did... for the cost of ?1! Now, although one pound isn't any amount of money, the ?280 we had given him the previous night was. I feel this is an absolute insult. Futhermore, the cost of having a shower is also ?1. Fair enough you may think, until the shower cuts out after 10 minutes and then another token is needed, for another pound.
It seems to me that you need to either be a regular customer, or a camo'd up super-serious-win-at-all-costs-forget-everyone-else type of angler.
Whenever I have been fishing at a large lake, (Orchid is 17.9 acres), I always take a bike to get to the facilities as this saves time and sometimes a long trek. This time we took my girlfriends bike as she intended on going for a ride in the Oxford countryside. Whilst we were asleep, Marsh Pratley arrived at my Dad's swim and asked who's the bike propped against a tree was. After telling him who owned the bike, my Dad was told: No vehicles allowed, it will be put in the lodge.
With that he put the bike into the back of his van and, technically, stole it. Later when I went to retrieve the bike I asked why it was taken. From his wife I was told only Marsh or the baliffs are allowed to use a vehicle around the lake. How petty can you get? It is a brand new mountain bike, not an articulated lorry.
The reports I had previously had about Orchid were good, but it seems the only people to be made welcome are his mates or people who will kiss his ass and treat him like Lord of the Manor.
I would suggest you give Orchid a wide berth whilst Marsh is there, unless you are willing to brown-tounge, are a regular camo freak or have copious amounts of money and expensive tackle. Then you'd be alright.
There is one good point to this story... Marsh Pratley is selling up!!! So if you've got ?800,000 spare buy the lake and make this the enjoyable experience that it should be.

D

David Will

Try Shimano Linear Oxford they know how to treat anglers. You do not feel like someone is doing you a favour when you turn up to fish.

S

Simon Ford

The only reason that Marsh doesn`t allow vehicles around the lake is because he is extreemly security conscious which in my book is very good.
Marsh is not selling up the reason for him saying the given price is that he was getting annoyed with people asking him how much he`d sell the place for!
rules are rules and it does state that no vehicles are allowed and that includes bicycles,which in my eyes is the best way to be because i have fished so many lakes where you`re allowed to drive upto and park behind your swim,then you get people stopping and asking if you`ve caught any and if you`re fishing the margins then its buggered up your fishing for a few hours at least.
Marsh runs probably the best day ticket fishery in the country and he know what he`s doing.
To be honest i`d like to see you do what he`s done to the lakes in the amount of time he`s had it.(sept 96).
?1 isn`t bad to have all your gear moved, infact i think its fair enough if you want all your gear moved round to say the opposite side of the lake.I have done this many a time on orchid and i think its a god send to have a lift with all your gear to say the other side of the lake.
In my opinion the bayliffs and marsh will help you in any way that they can and they do if you ask them nicely,but if you go there with the attitude that you`re putting across on here it`s no wonder that you had a bad time to be honest.

I`ll end my ranting and raving now i`ve submitted my opinion on this matter.

D

Dave Silvers

I've never fished this particular water so have no real opinion either way, but reading the above articles for and against I can only resort to the old adage 'you pays your money and takes your choice'.
If your happy with the set up then carry on going but if your not give your hard earnt cash to someone else.
Am I wrong but does ?280 seem like a lot of money to anyone else, or is this reasonable in the affluent south.

S

Simon Ford

Thats about right darn ere :eek:)
its 18 quid for linear manor farm lake and 20 quid for orchid for 24 hours

V

Vic Woodley

Simon, Marsh is selling up, it's up for sale in either the Angling Times or Anglers Mail.I spoke to one of his bailiffs and he said that he's selling it because it's getting to much for him,poor man must be a hard life doing nothing all day.As for being security minded he locks the place up at night how secure do you need to be?.It has nothing to do with security, to take you to your swim , and all to do with money .With the addage why should you drive your car there when i can take you and make a quick quid.You seem to be missing the whole point as many others seem to as well.It's not the pound it's the principle.He will only do things if it pleases him with no consideration for the paying customer.Would you go on holiday and expect to load your own luggage on the plane?because the luggage handler had ,had a busy day,so what, your the paying customer or do all the people that fish at Orchid fall into some kind of a coma when they get there and think this is "MECCA"must do as God Prately says.Must be some sad people out there.

V

Vic Woodley

Simon, Marsh is selling up, it's up for sale in either the Angling Times or Anglers Mail.I spoke to one of his bailiffs and he said that he's selling it because it's getting to much for him,poor man must be a hard life doing nothing all day.As for being security minded he locks the place up at night how secure do you need to be?.It has nothing to do with security, to take you to your swim , and all to do with money .With the addage why should you drive your car there when i can take you and make a quick quid.You seem to be missing the whole point as many others seem to as well.It's not the pound it's the principle.He will only do things if it pleases him with no consideration for the paying customer.Would you go on holiday and expect to load your own luggage on the plane?because the luggage handler had ,had a busy day,so what, your the paying customer or do all the people that fish at Orchid fall into some kind of a coma when they get there and think this is "MECCA"must do as God Prately says.Must be some sad people out there.

M

Malcolm Bason

I take it you won't be going again then Vic?

I have not been to Orchid either, so i am not qualified to comment, but when I go fishing I fully expect to carry my gear to my chosen swim - if someone offers to take my gear to the swim for me for a quid I would decide on the spot whether it was worth it for me. The choice would be mine - yes or no - simple.

If I had read or been told the rules then If I broke them I would have to face the consequences of my actions - if I had used barbed hooks when I should have used barbless - I might be told to leave; if I took a dog when no dogs were allowed - then I would probably be asked to lease; if I took any kind of vehicle on to the lake - motorised or otherwise - then I think I would be satisfied that it was only taken to the lodge.

When I go fishing, I might go for a few hours or I may book for 24 hours, re: the latter I am not camping out, I am not on holiday, I don't wash during that period though many may say they do!!! - I still go fishing! What I getting at is - it does seem to me that you wanted a bit more than fishing Mr Woodley? If you were going camping for a week with a bit of fishing thrown in - then perhaps you deserved to be treated a 'little differently'???

R

Rob Brownfield

I think its a bit unfair to class a push bike as a vehicle! A motorbike, yes, a quad bike, yes...but a push bike...come on! I think its a bloody good idea to take a bike if u need to nip back to the lodge etc. For a start it means minimum time away from your swim and if you are getting on a bit it must be a god send!

S

Simon Ford

The reason that no-one is allowed any sort of vehicle or even allowed to walk around the lake if not fishing is because a while back before Marsh brought the no vehicles/walking around the lakes rule in there was a lot of tackle thefts and IMHO he was right to bring this rule into effect.
I have fished numerous waters all over the country and i can`t find any other of those that i`ve fished that even comes close to the way that Orchid is excellently run.
You could hink of it this way,its taken you approx 5-6 years to get the tackle and other things you take with you fishing and in one foul swoop all that tackle is stolen.You have no claims against the fishery or its owner because you are there at your own risk.If you didn`t have any insurance then you won`t be able to fish for a while.
What Marsh is trying to do is make Orchid the safest fishery in the UK and i can`t fault him for that.Yes it might be a hard job to run a fishery and it does take a lot of his time so you have got to expect that he`s not going to be in the best of moods all the time,are you???
The way that Orchid is run has been praised in a lot of magazines and i have seen pictures of how it was before Marsh took over the place,if you was to see those pictures i`m sure that you`d be amazed in how much he has done with the place.
Also how many fishery owners do you know of that would come out in the middle of the night to take a whole roll of film of a 30lb+ fish then have it developed the next morning and not charge you a penny(with the exception of having one photo for the board in the lodge and the website)?
I don`t know of any other waters that have this kind of servics and i`d like to bet that there isn`t any others that do this.

Regards.

Simon.

V

Vic Woodley

Thankyou Rob a voice of sanity in a sea of fools.As for Mr.Bason,s comment on the Rules the only rules we were told were concerning fishing.It seems to me that people are missing the point.We went there to go fishing not camping as was suggested by Mr.Bason.But it still does not detract from the view that as paying customers we should all be treated with some respect he wants our money and at 20 pounds a night i would expect to be driven to my chosen swim .Not told its to late you'll have to make your own way.As i said it's not the pound you pay to get to the swim its the principle he was quick enough to take our money.And then after he takes it your told this.But the next day is quick enough to ask do want to move?.It wasn't as though it was too dark and he couldn't drive round he just couldn't be bothered.And yet he drove around the lake twice whilst we were struggling with all our gear with his smug grin as though to say look at me i'm wonderfull.And to comment further on Mr.Bason's suggestion that perhaps we wanted to go camping with a bit of fishing thrown in, when you go fishing for four days you are camping, obviously he doesn't understand the concept of being 120miles from home you can't pop home for the night and go back the next day .

M

Malcolm Bason

Points taken! However, the reason I suggested you may have been camping first and fishing second - or words to that effect - was because you only seem to be complaining about 'money' and the guy's 'attitude towards you'. Fishing APPEARS to be of secondary importance here!

He is obviously not like it with everyone - or he would'nt have anybody using the place! Further, you have had people on here defending him, so......?

QUOTE: "at 20 pounds a night i would expect to be driven to my chosen swim" I am sorry, but that is an attitude I would not like to be faced with if I were him.

You do APPEAR to be making assumptions about the man - which lets face it, we can all be wrong about? You have said "he could'nt be bothered" - do you really know that?

Can I ask please? Did you stay the full 4 days?

I'm off now to do 24 hours on - no.. not Orchid! LOL

K

Keith Woodley

Malcolm Bason:
We did stay the full 4 days. After we struggle to the swims and Marsh had driven round the lake a couple of times, grinning at us, we fished the nigth with intentions of moving the next day. On the fourth and final day he allowed some of his mates to use the little buggy and trailer he has to drive himself to the swim! I understand that it's his lake, but when I've worked overtime to fish "the best carp lake in England" and spent fifty quid on bait, another ?50 on food etc for the four days, ?30 on petrol, ?80 on tickets plus any other incurreneces plus being told how helpful and nice he was I feel totally let down. Not only by Marsh but by the fishing publications that only praise him, probably for cheap/ free fishing, and don't say how he treats pleasure anglers like myself as lesser anglers. I fished solidly, as we all did, for four days. The only time I left my swim was to check how the others were doing or to answer the call of nature. As for "making assumptions", assumptions are based on ignorance, we were there, treated badly and have expressed our views and feelings so that others that are in a better position to make their own minds up. He's trying to run a day ticket water like a syndicate. It dosn't work like that, how many other lakes that contain large stocks of other fish, i.e. perch, tench, roach, rudd etc. do not allow you to fish for these? None that I've visited. But I bet if you caught a tench when carping that he'd expect you to give it just as much attention, like you should, as if it was a carp. Even though you cannot fish for them. I am an angler that prefers carp fishing. Save the bad attitudes and no-one-must-know-what-i'm-fishing-with attitudes for syndicate waters.
As for your quote "this is an attitude I would not like to be faced with if I were him", what about his attitude. He seemed gutted that my girlfiend only wanted to fish 2 days not four. Maybe that is because he only got ?40 and not ?80 out of her?
Are we the ONLY ones to have had a bad experience at Orchid? I cannot see this as true, given Marsh's bad attitude towards us from the time we got out out of the car til we left. All the other baliffs were nice, OK blokes who said he was a pain in the ass. They work with him, I've met him and made up my own mind. Have you even met him? Or fished at Orchid? By your comments I doubt it.

R

Rob Brownfield

I think its fair to say that sometimes personalities clash for whatever reason. I have certainly fished a water in Norfolk where i was told the baliff was a total plonker who knew nothing and would not even give u the time of day. On the 4 occasions I fished the water over a 3 year period, he spent literally hours with me, showing me climbing trees, pointing out feeding carp and areas to fish....and i mean areas where no one else knew about but him. I was even allowed to fish the syndicate lake there. I had driven over 500 miles to get there...and he even made me a cup of tea and lent me a barrow to shift my gear. Other anglers in the area had complained that he did not give a crap. Strange.

I have heard good and bad reports about Marsh. I must admit, I have formed a poor opinion of him after reading letters and articles both from him and about Orchid. Maybe its because he is an ex-para....lol...but I know from having worked with Paras for many years, they do have a "I am better than u" attitude.

I think this has to be put down to experience I am affraid...either give him another chance...or don't go again...

P

Paul Williams

Now now rob me old trooper lets not get into the hairy arse mode :eek:)....a good tip next time might be to wear a Green beret!!! snigger.

V

Vic Woodley

Your right Malcom it does look as though the fishing came secondary to the money .But as i have pointed out when you are the paying customer you should be treated with some kind of respect.This is the trouble with a lot of people they haven't got the balls to speak up for themselves.If more people did then perhaps these kind of situations wouldn't arise.As i said previously it's the principle not the price, sadly a lot of people don't seem to care about principles these days.If they did perhaps we would all be treated with mutual respect and not scorned at as though you have come from another planet because you dared to question someone.I was taught to stand up and ask why and not cowtow to anyone, no-one is better then me but I am no better then anyone else.That is mutual respect.Sadly some people do not have any.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hello again -

"I've met him and made up my own mind. Have you even met him? Or fished at Orchid? By your comments I doubt it."

No, I have never met him. No, I have never fished at Orchid. And - I promise I won't make any assumptions about him!! LOL :eek:)