Orchid Lakes

P

Paul Haycock

I was looking at going to Orchid lakes over the easter period. As i have not had time to get out over the last couple of months and thought that i might be able to beat my pb (16lb). But today i was talking about the future trip in my takle shop when a couple of carp angles said that it is one of the hardest venues in the country. Can anyone let me know as i have been told that shatterford lakes near kidderminster would be a better bet to beat my pb.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Paul, My good friend Marsh owns Orchid lakes, give him a call on 0585 618190, he'll give you the latest on whats been happening. I've had a few blanks on there myself but managed to land a 25lb 12oz on me third trip.More of a social fish for me when i'm down there. Good venue though, big fish,pretty lake, showers,cafe. Go give it a go, you wont know unless you go!!!!

P

Paul Williams

Paul,
From what i can gather you may be trying to make too big a jump, a place like Orchid is a big fish water but not an easy water, it is also fished by guys who are in the "know" as far as that water is concerned....by all means give it a go, but be prepared for an expensive blank!
Sorry to be so negative mate but i have to tell it as i see it, what area are you from? you may get a better reply on where you can beat your PB.

P

Paul Haycock

Warren and Paul
Thanks for your replys i am from the birmingham area.i do not know of many night carp waters around the area with good size carp in it. I have just come back from a couple of days at shatterford fisheries at kiddiminster.where i manages a 10.5Lb mirror.

V

Vic Woodley

my son and i are going to orchid hopefully at the end of may.it's a case of if you don't go you will never know.i'm giving it a try and if we don't catch well theres allways another time

P

Paul Williams

Just had a reminder about this thread, Vic you are right and the water certainly holds some nice fish.
Paul (Haycock) sorry i didn't reply to your last mail.....if you are still about shout up and i will try to help.

S

Stewart Bloor

Paul (W)there's always the night syndicate at Himley we could recommend. That will produce a better fish (or possibility of, at least) than Paul's (H) current best.

P

Paul Williams

Good point Sedge, theres also a few others if he gets back.

S

Stewart Bloor

Himley came to mind because it contains the sort of fish that Paul is looking for and it's not a mega hard water. It's pretty good value compared to a lot of syndicates (I think it's between ?70-80 for the night syndicate), has good access and you can park your car in the grounds at night.

A

Andy Rooke

nice to see that orchid now owns a 40, it is a buetifull lake as i have fished there meself aany one will agree with me soon as you look at the lake you will fall in love with it, has anyone fished the lagoon at orchid, i have been told by a few people that there are some lumps to be caught from there
andy

V

Vic Woodley

i'm going to orchid in june.does anyone have any suggestions on type of bait that works i.e boilies that may work?do you need to spod ?any help would be appreciated

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Vic, if you give Marsh a ring at Orchid lakes he'll give you the very latest on whats happening, he keeps weekly records of all fish caught, he'll tell you what he thinks the 'in' bait is at the moment and he'll put you in the right swim if its available when you arrive.

A

Andy Rooke

although i have only fished it once i know people who fish it a bit. a lot of people put out big beds of bait so then i would op for a stringer or single hookbait chooice. all the carp company bait works but a chance of bait may produce a take.
andy

P

Paul Haycock

Thanks for your reply Stewart could you tell me where Himley is as i have never heard of this water before. Also thanks for all the other reply's that i have had

C

Craig W

I myself made the mistake of thinking i was 'ready' for Orchid-Lakes.
At the time i thought i was a confident well practiced Carp fisherman (well at least i caught fish at most of my local venues which are smaller waters and with more fish) but i was way out of my league!!!! the water is bigger than alot of my local waters in devon, the fish were WAY out of my smaller reals and rods reach!!....all im saying is ...... If your geared up for your smaller local waters this may not be the place to try, also as others have said in other threads dont be suprised if you blank....it took me 4 visits before i banked my first fish a mid twenty!! and i have been back many times and not banked one of the thirtys yet!!
But i gotta say the lake is unreal, its so nice and Marsh is very kind and helpful you will enjoy it if you understand its not easy.
My Tip!! Carp Company Iceland Reds sold on site work...dont ball out shed loads of baits and look for the features like the bars that run parallel to the bank if you get faced with open water infront of you, if you get to fish the Alamo look for the posts that run up the right hand side of you and fish the silt bar that is just off the very last one furthest away from you, also about 75 yards out s the towards the sang swim opposite and slighty to the left is a shallow area which produces fish..these places worked for me.

S

Stewart Bloor

Paul, Himley Hall is situated just off the A449 in South Staffs. It should be easily found on a map. If you need any more info, mail me.

V

Vic Woodley

Just back from Orchid, The Lake is very impressive and big, lots of fish topping at night but no takes,just lots of dropbacks.Who said Marsh is friendly?we rang him because we were a little late and he said no problem he was still at the lake.We got there about 8pm as soon as we got there and paid our money he said you'll have to make your way to your own swims it's to late to take you them.We had a quick look around and decided to hole up in the Alamo for the night.I asked if we found a swim could we take our cars to them unload and take them back."No" we were told "it's not allowed no vehicles are allowed to drive round the lake," but you do?"i said, he said "i'm the owner so i can".Fair enough we thought so the next morning i asked him to move me which he did" Thats a pound "i was told, know no why he doesn't let you drive to your swim, is life that hard for him that he's that desperate for money.Showers are on site thats another pound thankyou very much get ten mins.then it turns off.It seems to me that all he wants is a paticular type of carp angler if your not in camoflauge own ?2,000 of tackle your not wanted. No wonder it's up for sale.My Daughter-in-law took her byke as she only wanted to fish for two days and thought she would take a ride in the country on the other two days the Furher came along asked me who's it was as she and my son were asleep i told him." No bykes allowed" and took it put it in his van and said "i will put in the lodge".Whats wrong with the man? i know Orchid is a top carp lake but if you use such draconian rules its no wonder the place is up for sale.And no wonder he hardly gets anyone there during the week.If thats his idea of being friendly and hospitable i for one would rather fish my local duck pond.I won't be rushing back as lovely as the place may be, unless, and it's only my opnion, he lightens up a bit and thinks of all the carp fishermen and not just his his few regulars, look on his web site nearly allways the same people catching. He is going to struggle. Should be renamed Stalag Orcid Lake run by The Furher Marsh Prattly, by name and by nature.

C

Craig W

Well Vic,
Rules are rules & no bikes no cars is fair enough......
And i dont think a quid to move you stuff around the other side of a 35 acre lake is out of order, if you moved people all day the cost would soon mount up with 2 vehicles running all the time, nor is a quid to use the showers either, as i said in my other posts Marsh is a nice guy the place is run well, have you ever had a bad day? maybe today was one of his bad days?
The place does not warrant the name Stalag Orchid & marsh the Furher, maybe bad feeling from you cause you blanked on a very hard water, did you have the tackle to deal with this size water? the fish are often out in the middle so you need big kit here or a bait boat which maybe expensive, i guess you were not ready to deal with this place then? maybe you only had kit big enough for your local duck pond, and as for your comment of "well you do" to him when he said no vehicles can drive around the lake? of course he can drive round his own lake you idiot, maybe with an attitude like that you he didnt like you, im sure i wouldnt want someone around the lake who cant follow the rules and has a bad attitude towards me right from the start.

C

Carl Sharp

hey Craig W,
remember me? I done 6 weeks work experience as a bailiff back in March-May. How are you? I see you been in Carp Talk as well with a few from Riddings ;) Whats it like? I know its not far from us and i like the sound of it even though it is very small.

cheers

'Sharpy'