Outlook for October

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thought I would try this, taken from my records and a met office long range forcast.

A good month for Crucian Carp and Carp. Roach as a third choice but the bigger ones can go off the boil by the looks of it. Look for any overcast days and low air pressures as these are ideal conditions for crucians, carp and roach. The weather forecasts looks like there could be plenty of good conditions coming along; for fishing that is, not much else. Could be the last chance for crucians before they go to bed for the winter.
crucian -36.55%
carp -14.13%
roach -12.07%
bream - 10.24%
chub --8.02%
rudd -6.87%
tench - 6.82%
big/roach - 5.31%
Thursday 8 Oct - Saturday 17 Oct
Unsettled weather will dominate early in the period, with all parts of the country seeing showery spells, as well as periods of more prolonged rainfall. Southern and western areas will likely see the most frequent and heaviest rainfall. Some periods of dry, calm conditions may occur at times. It will often be windy, sometimes with a risk of gales, particularly along west and south-western coasts. It will likely feel rather cold. Later in the period, a potential change in the weather is signalled around mid-October. Here, further rain and strong winds are likely, but spells of fine and dry weather could become more widespread and long-lived. At night, these calmer conditions will allow frost and fog to form more readily, particularly in the north, and linger well into the daytime.
Sunday 18 Oct - Sunday 1 Nov
Towards late October, it is likely there will be a return to unsettled conditions, with plenty of rain and showers. However, there will continue to be some interludes of dry and settled conditions. The winds will generally be light, but some spells of windy weather will develop at times. Overall, temperatures are likely to recover to close to the seasonal average for October, to feel normal for the time of year.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Mark,if you worked for the BBC weather department I'd ask if there was going to he a hurricane....that was October too...

rayner

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a bit of decent weather in November, I'm back shielding until then. I made a few 2 No 4 and 3 No 4 wagglers for my whips yesterday with sarkanda reed.
Tying whip rigs this morning, small fish are easier to find in cooler weather.

rubio

Reaction score
At risk of diverting op, apologies, do you fish those light wagglers fixed or sliding on the whip?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not a problem, talking of floats I have been using the tie from a loaf of sliced bread as a rubber lately. It doesn't look pretty but it goes on any float and I don't like those rubbers, I never find one that fits but no problem with this. I caught some chub today on it so it has not affected the fishing.
100_0526.JPG

Reaction score
Is it me,but i'm finding it hard to suss what is actually happening on the photo,maybe a tad too close at this early hour... :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Is it me,but i'm finding it hard to suss what is actually happening on the photo,maybe a tad too close at this early hour... :)
Na your alright, my rod stays made up and the pic was taken where things have got a bit tangled but the idea is you see is you wrap some plastic wire around the float instead of using a float rubber, it holds the line tight and needs tightening up now and then-I use the bits that hold the ends of a loaf wrappers. The float has a rubber on it but I find it easier to use the plastic wire, I keep a few in my float box. Not pretty but does the job and I never find rubbers to fit, lose them, they split or find I cant thread them very well with my eyesight. I am not expecting a revolution in floats design but I have found it easier and more practical.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
At risk of diverting op, apologies, do you fish those light wagglers fixed or sliding on the whip?

Yes I do sliding is a favourite way to sink line, bulk mid way in 1 1/2 mtr swim then 5 No11s spread even through to the hooklength.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,if you worked for the BBC weather department I'd ask if there was going to he a hurricane....that was October too...

It was indeed, the night of October 15/16th 1987 . . . .

We had just fished erecting a shed and a greenhouse in the new house only to lose both in the storm . . . gutted . . we also lot a third of the roof on the house and almost my then wife's car.

john step

Reaction score
It was indeed, the night of October 15/16th 1987 . . . .

We had just fished erecting a shed and a greenhouse in the new house only to lose both in the storm . . . gutted . . we also lot a third of the roof on the house and almost my then wife's car.
I slept right through it except when my wife woke me up to tell me it was windy. I grumbled something like SO WHAT and went back to sleep. To say I was surprised at the devastation in the morning is an understatement.
At that time it was unusual for the leaves to still be on the trees which caused many to come down. Nowadays it is normal for the leaves to be on much later.

Reaction score
I was working at BAe Hatfield at the time,it was my turn to drive(a mate and I did week abouts),left his place d 6.40am instead of 7am,after many detours because of flooding,trees down etc we finally got to work just before 10am,I learnt a big lesson that day,all the locals,who many of whom could have walked in didnt turn in,but still got paid,those of us who made the effort,endangering car and skin didn't even get a thank you,never again would I put myself at risk for work,driving in the snow,never happened again,after all the employer doesn't pay you if your car is in a repair shop,sod em...

john step

Reaction score
I was working at BAe Hatfield at the time,it was my turn to drive(a mate and I did week abouts),left his place d 6.40am instead of 7am,after many detours because of flooding,trees down etc we finally got to work just before 10am,I learnt a big lesson that day,all the locals,who many of whom could have walked in didnt turn in,but still got paid,those of us who made the effort,endangering car and skin didn't even get a thank you,never again would I put myself at risk for work,driving in the snow,never happened again,after all the employer doesn't pay you if your car is in a repair shop,sod em...
You must have been about a mile from where I was asleep in St. Albans! My wife got to work at Harperbury Hospital and I managed to get to Mill Hill by cutting and shifting branches on some of the backroads at Shenley.

Keith M

Reaction score
We had to clear all the fallen trees at Tykes Lake in Elstree and there were plenty of unusual and ancient trees uprooted and lost that had once been in the estates tree collection from around the world. The islands looked totally different after that storm.

Keith