Over grown

mvwales

Reaction score
I decided to fish the wye alot this summer so i got a membership to make it more cost effective, but after going to see two of the four streaches im entitled to fish,
well so far it has left me feeling a bit daunted and like iv wasted my money lol the first streach
I visited was thomas wood it took a fair walk to get there in the first place and once there it was extremely over grown i could barely see the river let alone go to the waters edge and the banks looked to steep and dangerous to try and navigate trough the dense vegitation when i finaly found one spot where i could see and touch the water properly there was that many boats you could not have cast a lead with out taking some ones head off.

The second streach I visted was Goodrich Court which had a few more acsessble spots and a nice glide at the end which could be trotted with ease but yet again most of it was very over grown with steep banks 90% seemed inacessible,
I could have drove to the other side of the river which looked slightly more accessible but at that point it was and unwanted xtra journey after the miles i had already walked.

Any body have any experiance with the wye have any adivce? I still have two more streaches to check out

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Could it be that those stretches will be strimmed before the start of the coarse season? Often clubs stretches of river are left natural during the close season to keep unwanted guests away.

Also steep banks often comes with the territory on rivers like the Wye

sam vimes

Reaction score
Many river stretches can appear very overgrown at this time of year. You might find that there are fish able spots that have access that can barely be seen unless you know where to look. Many of my local river spots appear inaccessible now, but that will change in the coming weeks. However, more than the odd spot will still appear inaccessible to the uninitiated.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
We started on our stretch of the Cherwell 2 months ago. we've gave up with a strimmer now and just use a standard rotary push your self petrol mower. believe it or not it takes a lot less effort and you get a lot more done.

if accessibility and less boats is what your after Hereford and district is the best option.