Overfishing Question

Reemul

Reaction score
I have only just started fishing again after a long break. Live in Poole Dorset. Started with my son who is 13.

Currently we are fishing at Whitemoor lakes which is a nice little set of 3 lakes in Holt, day ticket and night fishing. Main lake has 45 swims (10 too many in my book)

We have been fishing there 4 times since being allowed. 1st Time on the 1st Saturday it was understandably rammed. We got 2 of the last swims getting there at 7.30am. Had 3 Carp to 11lb and a few tench and Bream.

The second it was spilling over, It was a Sunday and they had had 36 overnighters, so we tried the little lake which was quieter and fished nicely most of the day pulling around 25 carp to 3lb.

The third time was a Thursday and it was boiling and 90% full. Fished ok in the early AM and better after 5pm.

Went today and got there at 7.10am, opens 7.30, 7 cars queuing to get in and it was bursting. Got 2 swims at the back end of the lake. It was dead I had 2 bream and my son nothing, most people got nothing. Was a tad windy and rainy but not cold.

Asking around it seems it is pretty much full all the time.

Wondering if it's too intense there at the moment and I should look elsewhere or just happens they aren't feeding, just that it has seemed to get progressively worse over the weeks

It is the perfect location because my son and I can fish it and my younger son who can only manage a few hours before ants in his pants hits in, can be brought over and collected on a whim by the wife, anything too far away would negate that.

There doesn't seem to be many day tickets too close to Poole, lots of clubs waters though.

Any thoughts or ideas?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
My catches on a local club lake fell away sharply this week, which I put down to the sudden drastic drop in temperature and a cold NE wind. In your case though it does sound as though the pressure has put the fish off. You never quite know with fish and just when you think you've cracked it, they go and change the rules...

Paste paul

Reaction score
I have only just started fishing again after a long break. Live in Poole Dorset. Started with my son who is 13.

Currently we are fishing at Whitemoor lakes which is a nice little set of 3 lakes in Holt, day ticket and night fishing. Main lake has 45 swims (10 too many in my book)

We have been fishing there 4 times since being allowed. 1st Time on the 1st Saturday it was understandably rammed. We got 2 of the last swims getting there at 7.30am. Had 3 Carp to 11lb and a few tench and Bream.

The second it was spilling over, It was a Sunday and they had had 36 overnighters, so we tried the little lake which was quieter and fished nicely most of the day pulling around 25 carp to 3lb.

The third time was a Thursday and it was boiling and 90% full. Fished ok in the early AM and better after 5pm.

Went today and got there at 7.10am, opens 7.30, 7 cars queuing to get in and it was bursting. Got 2 swims at the back end of the lake. It was dead I had 2 bream and my son nothing, most people got nothing. Was a tad windy and rainy but not cold.

Asking around it seems it is pretty much full all the time.

Wondering if it's too intense there at the moment and I should look elsewhere or just happens they aren't feeding, just that it has seemed to get progressively worse over the weeks

It is the perfect location because my son and I can fish it and my younger son who can only manage a few hours before ants in his pants hits in, can be brought over and collected on a whim by the wife, anything too far away would negate that.

There doesn't seem to be many day tickets too close to Poole, lots of clubs waters though.

Any thoughts or ideas?
I get where you’re coming from it’s in an handy place and reasonable fishing but I would have a good look around at other venues if I was you.....
Ask other Angler’s and in the tackle shop plus get on the internet........ you’ll be surprised how many venues there will be around where you live.....

Reemul

Reaction score
I don't have any plans to join a club this year. This is the first year back to see how it goes an dif it holds my sons interest. I may replace my Golf Club membership with a fishing one next year but it's day tickets only this year.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I don't have any plans to join a club this year. This is the first year back to see how it goes an dif it holds my sons interest. I may replace my Golf Club membership with a fishing one next year but it's day tickets only this year.
A snag with day ticket versus club is that you can end up paying more over the year for day tickets,
Average price of adult day ticket to my knowledge is between £8 -£10 ,and kids half price.
The youngsters may not want to go when it's cold, but by then you could have been enough times to have bought a club card.
You say you have been to the place 4 times this year, factor that cost in compared to a club card with which you get more venues ,also some clubs do a family membership,which can work out cheaper than one adult and a couple of kids memberships.