Oxford canal

John Aston

Reaction score
Whenever I am down at Silverstone I stay at a farm B and B near Priors Hardwick, and often walk down to the Oxford canal and have a wander. It's lovely -lots of cover, light boat traffic (in the evening anyway) and has lovely peaceful surroundings . I've made a couple of zander trips on the Grand Union and South Stratford canals in the area (zander being in short supply in N Yorks) but the Oxford intrigues me . I've never seen an angler, nor a sign of one , but I've seen fish , as well as the inevitable signal crayfish. It is very coloured , but that doesn't seem to affect the zander too much elsewhere - and it must have them in surely ?

So.. anyone know who has the fishing rights - I've never seen a sign ? Anybody fished it ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Various clubs have sections, If affiliated to odaa you can fish other club section.
Littlemore AS has stretches of the Thames also fish stretches of the canal.
Gibralter pub stretch is good.
Throop AC have stretch at Kidlington.
Park at Annie's Kitchen and the canal is there, get day ticket from marina office.
Or park in lay-by before Jolly Boatman pub, canal is at side of the road.This is on the road out of kidlington towards Annie's kitchen. I fish it regularly, don't know who controls this stretch, never been asked for ticket.
Give Tony Gee a phone call at Ace Tackle Kidlington. He will give you all the info you require.

John Aston

Reaction score
Many thanks - the only bit I'd fish would b near where I stay but I will check out Ace tackle and Odaa.

flearoy

Reaction score
Whenever I am down at Silverstone I stay at a farm B and B near Priors Hardwick, and often walk down to the Oxford canal and have a wander. It's lovely -lots of cover, light boat traffic (in the evening anyway) and has lovely peaceful surroundings . I've made a couple of zander trips on the Grand Union and South Stratford canals in the area (zander being in short supply in N Yorks) but the Oxford intrigues me . I've never seen an angler, nor a sign of one , but I've seen fish , as well as the inevitable signal crayfish. It is very coloured , but that doesn't seem to affect the zander too much elsewhere - and it must have them in surely ?

So.. anyone know who has the fishing rights - I've never seen a sign ? Anybody fished it ?
Hi if no fishing clubs you need a anal and river trust license around £35 per year
hope that helps
pete