painting rod tips

D

David Gifford

I was thinking about using Tippex or correction fliud as it is recently called.

Can anyone tell me if this is okay, as I've heard that it can weaken your carbon.

If this is the case, can anyone recommend a paint that I can use.

Cheers!

Golden

Reaction score
Blimey, I hope not! I painted the tips of my two Avon rods with Tipex about 2 years ago.
I've had no problems, other than the tip rings breaking off ;-)
Seriously, I've had no issues. I used the water based stuff. Bit of a pain painting with such a small brush and the finish is not very professional, but it does the job.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
tipex will do as a very basic coating and is a bit rough (texture wise)and can be a brittle coating and suffer from cracking (depending on type used)and its not as reflective as paint,its far better to use auto-spray paint (cheap small touch up cans)costing a couple of pounds each,use a undercoat then a top gloss coat (or two)for a quick solution you could wrap plumbers ptfe tape around the tip as its a self Self Amalgamating tape and will stick to the blank without any sticky adhesives and can be removed anytime.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I've always used white Tippex and never had a problem.

Morespiders

Reaction score
try plumbers ptfe tape wrap it aroune in tight spiral pure white stays that way for ages if it gets a bit tatty redo it i get a season out of each wrap if done properly two grades get the thinest one

T

Terry D

Tippex may crack and wear off. I went to my local model shop and got some paint suitable for flexible plastics. Seems to have lasted well.

P

paul williams 2

i just spray the tips with an aerosol can....rings as well!

P

Phil Heaton

Plasticote paint from B & Q in fluro yellow over a base white, it picks up light better than white and is hard wearing.