Pairs Match

Silure

Reaction score
On th 30th May I and friend doing a pairs match on the Vienne river. One fishes the pole, me, while the other fishes a feeder. Its the first big match of the season with a large entry, including the feeder champion of France and the under 18 feeder champion of France. The pole is limited to 11.5 metres. The location is at Availles-Limouzine. The river here has a very large head of bream roach and carp.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Why the pole limit ,?
I have fished disabled matches with an 11 metre pole limit, they take it that seriously sometimes that tape measures have been brought out to measure the poles.
I was queried once because I had my 4 butt sections up to 17 metres on show even though they were not joined together or near me, I should have put them back in tubes.

Sounds a good match, Good Luck ??

Philip

Reaction score
French local or club matches can often have quite strange rules...for example ..ony the feeder, or no reels, & so on. No bite alarms is another I have seen or rods must be held.

From what I gather they usually do it to try and stop someone winning on a specific method....especially on little club waters there is sometimes 1 person who cleans up every time on a certain method so rather than try and watch and learn from them they instead ban it.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Some years ago I fished a lot of matches in Scandinavia and Europe where there was a limit on the size of poles allowed as this levelled the field for those competitors coming from places like Croatia . . . . .

Silure

Reaction score
Why the pole limit ,?
I have fished disabled matches with an 11 metre pole limit, they take it that seriously sometimes that tape measures have been brought out to measure the poles.
I was queried once because I had my 4 butt sections up to 17 metres on show even though they were not joined together or near me, I should have put them back in tubes.

Sounds a good match, Good Luck ??
Most matches here have a restriction on pole length. it is normally 13 metres but also lots are 11.5 metres. very diffuclt to buy a longer pole here as the limit is 13 metres.