Partially Sighted

Gary Sawyer

Reaction score
Hi folks, I used to fish a long time ago with my DAD who used to tie my hooks coz I am partially sighted and find it hard. Takes me about 10 mins to tie one and then if i pull it hard it comes off !!. I have seen a couple of hook tiers around, would these help me ? I've seen a battery powered one for ?15 and a matchman hook tier.
I am going to be fishing for carp, tench and bream.

Also would it be better to get the hook-to-nylons or even a ready made rig ?
Thanks for your help.

L

Les Clark

Gary,wouldn`t it be better to use a magnifying glass,a hands free one ?
I don`t know about hook`s to nylon for tench and bream, some of the match lad`s will answer that one for you.
You can buy ready made rig`s for carp but they will work out dear ,but I have never used them ,not a lot of help,.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Gary,

I have used ready made rigs before and once you can get your mind around the fact that you are fishing with someone elses knots, then they are really quite usuable.

Alternatively, there is a vast range of ready tied hooks on the market suitable for all types of fishing ranging from small match hooks upto Drennan Chub hooks and everything in between.
I can honestly say that I have never had any prolems with ready tied hooks, although I don't use them too often.

Hope this helps.

Joskin

Reaction score
is it just spade ends that you have the problem with or can you tie an eyed hook.

I would have thought that if you can thread the line through the eye of a hook you can tie it with a blood or half blood just by touch.

Joskin

Reaction score
By the way I once bought a battery powered hook tier but I never use it because it is a little fiddly and I can tie a hook quicker and better by hand.

M

mel crighton

There is an alternative, you supply the hooks etc and get a nice FM member to tie them for you, I am in Kent if that is any help with good eye sight

Gary Sawyer

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help on this matter. I have bought a matchman hook tier and will give that a go. I'll also try hook-to-nylon.

Thanks again.
Gary

M

MaNick

persevere with the hook tyer if you are using spade hooks, they do work once you get the hang of them!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I also have an eyesight problem Gary, If I tie hooks at home, or, on the bankside, I always use a Matchman hook tier, but, I also only use eyed hooks, line through the eye of the hook and then tied as per instructions. With spade end hooks, if all was not right, the spade could 'nick' the line, never, ever, had a hook come adrift with eyed hooks.