Passion For… Clean Rivers

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Water generates massive profits. Doing what we all know needs to be done, would eat into a large part of that profit. For that reason I don't think any government will be onside, not now, nor for the foreseeable future. Profit comes first. Shareholders come first. Legislation to protect the environment is, evidently, ineffectual.

There is no white knight on a trusty steed coming to rescue our river or freshwater systems anytime soon.
Only the green party, they are the only white knight around, none of the others will do it, it will just be the same politics otherwise, greed and profits and pollution.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The EA are generally useless. A farmer , sadly dead, who owns a fishery lost all his silver fish to a pollution incident involving the run off from chicken shit after heavy rains. He knew a local farmer put chicken shit on his fields and did do before severe rains some weeks before. His fishery is fed from a water course adjacent to the farmers fertilised fields. The EA decided there was insufficient proof that the high levels of nitrites and nitrates emanated from the farmers fields and would not prosecute. My farmer friend had more pressing issues and did not pursue it but held the EA in very low esteem. It takes a while for ammonia to become nitrates and nitrites in sufficient levels to kill fish.
How long have we all been saying how useless the EA are Mike, I think we all know it and your example is one of thousands over the last 10/20 years. The angling trust, fish legal and anyone else who wants to throw their hat in doesn't get the EA changed. Nothing will change it but the green party would. They are the only party in this country that is serious about clean rivers and clean water and healthy fish. No one else will do it, not us, not the Angling Trust, fish legal, not this forum , fishing clubs, no-one, they do not have the power, the funds or anything else, it can only come from a party elected, access to big funds, the power too implement serious laws and enforce them, a very serious party, not the babbling old hat, old ideologic parties. They are useless for the 21st century, they have got to go if anything is to be done.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Only the green party, they are the only white knight around, none of the others will do it, it will just be the same politics otherwise, greed and profits and pollution.
I'd love to agree mate, but there is no way on this Earth that the newspaper barons will allow the green party anywhere near power.

mikench

Reaction score
Sadly it is going to take an awful lot of change of mindset for a party with one MP and arguably few appealing policies for the great British public, to become a major party. It sickens me when I look at the shambles of our system but, barring a revolution, I don't see things changing anytime soon and by then it will be too late. Lies and obfuscation should have no place in politics but they are endemic.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The main problem however Mark is that the Greens are political Party and as such have policies on more or less everything . . . for instance the Greens are pro Europe and pro uk EU membership . . . . .

PS: Nero famously "fiddled" while Rome burned . . . except, that was in 67AD (check date?) whereas the violin was not invented until the 11t century ;) so he probably was playing the Cithara, if anything . . .

steve2

Reaction score
Unfortunately like many on this forum I will never live to see the rivers running clear again or full of life again. For the simple reason no one really cares.

It will take a major pollution incident that kills people before anyone sits up and takes notice. Even then it will be brushed under the carpet because of the cost and the polluters will continue to pollute free in the knowledge that no one cares.

Bluenose

Reaction score
bb

The public may think differently!
The public will think exactly what they are told to think and they will vote for whoever Murdoch and co see fit to further their own interests. It isn't by sheer chance that 30% of our Prime Ministers came from the same school. Weird that, imagine 30% of England football or rugby captains coming from the same secondary school? No. Me neither.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Unfortunately like many on this forum I will never live to see the rivers running clear again or full of life again. For the simple reason no one really cares.

It will take a major pollution incident that kills people before anyone sits up and takes notice. Even then it will be brushed under the carpet because of the cost and the polluters will continue to pollute free in the knowledge that no one cares.
People do care mate, sadly just not those whom are in a position to do anything about it.

theartist

Reaction score
Going back to the root cause, Is it possible to compile a list of the Wye catchment poultry suppliers and their distributors, wholesalers and the brands they supply? I heard one brand of egg mentioned somewhere and I'd be happy to boycott them, even if those in the Wye catchment that are within the current laws doesn't mean you can't be selective with your dosh.

The only way they will clean up is if the £££ goes to their competitors.

From a legal point of view can we list all those companies that are selling products that we suspect are polluting the Wye?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The public will think exactly what they are told to think and they will vote for whoever Murdoch and co see fit to further their own interests. It isn't by sheer chance that 30% of our Prime Ministers came from the same school. Weird that, imagine 30% of England football or rugby captains coming from the same secondary school? No. Me neither.
Certainly they have been brainwashing's the public with their ideologies for all of the last century. But the environmental brainwashing has really got going this century, Murdoch wont matter, I think this is really impinging itself on the public conscious and it will be the big issue of the 21st century, already is but it will get bigger.

bullet

Reaction score
Going back to the root cause, Is it possible to compile a list of the Wye catchment poultry suppliers and their distributors, wholesalers and the brands they supply? I heard one brand of egg mentioned somewhere and I'd be happy to boycott them, even if those in the Wye catchment that are within the current laws doesn't mean you can't be selective with your dosh.

The only way they will clean up is if the £££ goes to their competitors.

From a legal point of view can we list all those companies that are selling products that we suspect are polluting the Wye?
For staters The Happy Egg Company producers....allegedly..

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The main problem however Mark is that the Greens are political Party and as such have policies on more or less everything . . . for instance the Greens are pro Europe and pro uk EU membership . . . . .

PS: Nero famously "fiddled" while Rome burned . . . except, that was in 67AD (check date?) whereas the violin was not invented until the 11t century ;) so he probably was playing the Cithara, if anything . . .
I only started to look at them seriously recently, about April or May I think. They have policies on all things, I may not like all of them but I have become convinced their policies are the only way out of this pollution mess or at least they will tackle it more seriously than all of the other parties, its their main thrust,. And we really need to do this, it is getting beyond just a problem, it is affecting all of us, our children, their health, our economies as well don't forget. It has to be a political solution, and the Green Party are the only "Green" party.. They wont mess everything else up, they have matured quite a bit. They will mess some things up certainly but so what, every other party does, but lets get this pollution, climate change, chicken waste if you like etc. solved this century, not the next one.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
But aren't the Greens also anti angling and country sports?
I don't remember reading that but if they are I will just have to accept that is one of their policies I don't like. It would be hard for me if they banned it or curtailed it in some way, but then I only fish 10-20 times a year. I breathe air and drink water every day and my child does as well. They will seriously go for the big polluters and I think possibly and I stress possibly the only party that would do it without any caveats or pressure. That's a big draw for me right now, more than fishing.

steve2

Reaction score
Like you fishing is only a small part of my life would I miss it, yes, but a better future environment for grandchildren and others would be worth it. At least the wild swimmers and paddle boarders would have clean water and no anglers to worry about.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Like you fishing is only a small part of my life would I miss it, yes, but a better future environment for grandchildren and others would be worth it. At least the wild swimmers and paddle boarders would have clean water and no anglers to worry about.
This is what they say, they are not banning it just discouraging it, I can live with that-
The Greens manifesto states: "The Green Party is opposed to angling as a bloodsport. ... The Green Party will ban the use of all lead shot/weights used by anglers that are harmful to many forms of nature. The party will promote the voluntary cessation of angling through public education programmes."

They have a passion for clean rivers the title of this thread and they have policies that might do that. I just cannot see anyone else doing it. We all keep talking about it and moaning about it and expect the defunct EA to one day get their act together, (they won't), or the AT or someone else to do it. They haven't in my lifetime and so it is just the green party left for any real hope; just the conclusion I have come to. They have a passion for clean rivers the title of this thread and they have policies that might do that. I just cannot see anyone else doing it. So, it is just the green party left for any real hope; just the conclusion I have come to. This is not off subject, it is bang on it, ultimately they could be the only solution if us anglers want to change things. Look how woeful the gov have become on plastic pollution as well affecting everything including rivers and fish, the green party have solid policies on that as well, it is worth reading through in my opinion, I will shut up now but have a look-https://policy.greenparty.org.uk/pl.html

Last edited: