Passion For… Clean Rivers

Bluenose

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion just what to do with all this not just chicken poo but all farm waste if you don't spread it on the land.
I noticed at the garden centre there are now bags and bags of chicken manure to spread on the garden but this in a small way will still end up the the drains and then the rivers.
It should be continually recycled Steve, in an ideal world anyway.

In a nutshell it's when fertiliser is used to excess that's where the problem lies. If we use 'just enough' fertiliser then the plants take it in, we eat the plants and there are very low levels left in the soil, so we top the levels up next year or whatever. The problem is/has been that farmers put phosphate into the soil, when the soil already has more than enough phosphate present. The excess ends up in the groundwater or as run off etc. This is quite simplistic and part of the bigger picture, but that's what's been happening in the UK for years. Govt has passed legislation to keep levels down, the EA has recently employed people to measure the levels present. Crazy really, farmers using more than they need is costing them £££s and ballsing up the environment. You'd think they would have twigged sooner?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not being a chemist or a science major I would wonder if this by product cannot be held in silos and chemically treated before being spread on the land? Alternatively, why can it not be burnt at high temperature, or even stored in abandoned coal mines?

Admitedly this would add to the cost but let's be honest chicken products are aready inexpensive . . . .

theartist

Reaction score
Not being a chemist or a science major I would wonder if this by product cannot be held in silos and chemically treated before being spread on the land? Alternatively, why can it not be burnt at high temperature, or even stored in abandoned coal mines?

Admitedly this would add to the cost but let's be honest chicken products are aready inexpensive . . . .
Not too sure about the coal mine idea Peter I could imagine half a county blowing up with the chemical reaction or it seeping into the rivers eventually, that's without Scooby and the gang thwarting Old Man Wither's half baked attempts at scaremongering the local youth away from the abandoned mine with fake ghost masks.

I think power stations like Drax burns some sort of pellets but there must be a reason why animal/human waste has yet to be converted into any fuel on a large scale when you think there's billions of tons of it produced every year and it's sustainable to say the least. Shame really as it would give a positive meaning to the phrase involving excrement hitting the fan.

Reaction score
I have just returned from my two week family holiday at Christchurch,the fishing was very poor,I had barbel of 9lbs 11ozs,4lbs and 6ozs,no decent chub,no bream,but the biggest concern was the colour of the river,ive never seen it like it,this is with no rain,normally you would be able to see the gravels,my mate(river manager)told me about two small sewage works up the Moors River which have been releasing raw sewage all year,a disgrace...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have just returned from my two week family holiday at Christchurch,the fishing was very poor,I had barbel of 9lbs 11ozs,4lbs and 6ozs,no decent chub,no bream,but the biggest concern was the colour of the river,ive never seen it like it,this is with no rain,normally you would be able to see the gravels,my mate(river manager)told me about two small sewage works up the Moors River which have been releasing raw sewage all year,a disgrace...
Not bad though, a 9lb+ barbel, beats anything I caught there, glad your alright--- ish. Very worrying when even the Avon is getting polluted, it is a chalk stream basically and maybe our last refuge from this kind of thing, or was, if they are getting polluted as well we should all start worrying. But, going by this and other threads it looks like we are just to carry on the same, same hopeless solutions, same clarion calls, same politics, same policies, same wringing of hands same everything for some time so, it will get worse I am afraid.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Sorry Mark,I was on the Stour,but the Avon has been getting regular doses of untreated sewage,thats without any other pollutants being shovelled in...
My catches have been decreasing over the last few years,but when quality local anglers are struggling things look iffy...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sorry Mark,I was on the Stour,but the Avon has been getting regular doses of untreated sewage,thats without any other pollutants being shovelled in...
Right OK, I just made an assumption, I forgot about the Stour but it doesn't change my sentiments and polluting a chalk stream/river is the pits.

Reaction score
It is Mark,it saddens me greatly when you can fish every evening and hardly catch a decent chub,when just a few years ago I could catch five or six whilst after barbel,this year the ribbon weed wasn't as bad(heavy spring floods perhaps),which meant more spots were open,yet fish weren't biting...

theartist

Reaction score
Fish love that weed, take it out of a river that usually has it and they must feel like they are in some sort of armageddon.

Reaction score
Agreed Rob,there is still a fair bit though,it has encroached more most years,so it is nice to be able to fish swims that weren't accessible for the last two....

theartist

Reaction score
Good to hear that it's still there alan, I've notcied quite a bit in the Lea this year which is also good to see as that case also quashes any argument that high protien baits are in any way a major contributor.

Reaction score
I certainly don't think high protein baits are to blame on the Stour Rob,there are less anglers on the river than there used to be,I heard today that Throop is around £12 quid a day,the Royalty £14.50,with the fishing going downhill,when will it even out...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
bb
I certainly don't think high protein baits are to blame on the Stour Rob,there are less anglers on the river than there used to be,I heard today that Throop is around £12 quid a day,the Royalty £14.50,with the fishing going downhill,when will it even out...
Is that the good bit of the royalty Whitty, I think it was £15 a day back in 1990's when I went there and about £7 for the lesser bit, if it is £14.50 now, that's an indication of how much it has dropped if it is the top bit.

Reaction score
Probably the lower part Mark,we are approaching the times where anglers will not want to pay these prices due to poor fishing,yet the owners expect a percentage rise every year,totally unsustainable,apparently today the club secretary went up to the Moors River after a post on the club forum,the water in said river was a horrible colour,the guy has no sense of smell but said it stunk,they called two EA numbers reporting it and both asked if there were dead fish,not that they could see was the reply,well just monitor it and contact us if there are was the EA's response,what a load of rubbish...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Probably the lower part Mark,we are approaching the times where anglers will not want to pay these prices due to poor fishing,yet the owners expect a percentage rise every year,totally unsustainable,apparently today the club secretary went up to the Moors River after a post on the club forum,the water in said river was a horrible colour,the guy has no sense of smell but said it stunk,they called two EA numbers reporting it and both asked if there were dead fish,not that they could see was the reply,well just monitor it and contact us if there are was the EA's response,what a load of rubbish...
Sounds like they are charging too much, probably based on its past reputation.
The EA again!

bullet

Reaction score
If you want to get the EA out, tell them there are dead fish whether there are or not.