Passion for angling....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Although quite mild outside at 17.5 degrees, it is persisting down so i've dug out my passion dvds and atm i'm watching autumn glory.
Funny how I never tire of watching this series, I can't think of anything I don't like about it. The music, the commentery, the way it's filmed is just excellent.
For me it's the best angling programe/series ever to be produced and i'm quite confident it will never be bettered!

flightliner

Reaction score
Although quite mild outside at 17.5 degrees, it is persisting down so i've dug out my passion dvds and atm i'm watching autumn glory.
Funny how I never tire of watching this series, I can't think of anything I don't like about it. The music, the commentery, the way it's filmed is just excellent.
For me it's the best angling programe/series ever to be produced and i'm quite confident it will never be bettered!
I was at an NASG meeting when Chris Yates presented a few short clips of the series before its general release, I have to admit I was impatient in waiting for the day..
Couldnt agree more that it must rate higher than other productions I've seen before and after! ??

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agreed, it would be nice to think a better film could me made in the future, but it won’t.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

What was I to think? :cool: :ROFLMAO:

I'm getting a little worried about you Mike, I don't think lockdown has done you any good ??......
Either that or Gordon has been leading you astray???

rayner

Reaction score
It seems anglers now have no time to produce a decent series, they're more intent on advertising to put time into a fishing programme.
There's no opposition with the youtube videos they are mostly tripe. It's easy to say A passion for angling is the best when it's the only one.
I've said often enough I don't like watching fishing on TV but Chris Yates did the only fishing on TV that I really enjoyed. Not that I see the need to watch it again.

Keith M

Reaction score
I remember when a passion for angling was first shown on the TV and even the family members who had no interest in angling at all watched and enjoyed it, something that no other angling film since then has come close to doing.

Another previous angling video that did the same; was a film several years previous called The Secret Lake which had only backing music and no speech but featured Andy Orme fishing a very remote lake and showed all of the wildlife around the lake above and under the water throughout a warm showery summers day, however it was taken before the high resolution film we have today and the sharp resolution was not as good as it is today; that film also appealed to both Anglers and non Anglers.

I contacted the film maker a few years ago and he sent me a copy of this film which he put onto a DVD for me.

Keith.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I remember watching it and enjoying it at the time. On rewatching some episodes I found it wasn't as good as I thought it was. The filming was very good but I can't get on with Yates and James any more. Times move on I suppose and things change.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I enjoyed John Wilsons videos also but they were a different type of film. He was pretty much down to earth and always kept things simple.
I know he annoyed people with his laughing but compared to all the high fives, hugging oneanother etc which many of the modern angling programe plonkers do Wilsons laughing was very tolerable!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dean Macey is without doubt a good angler,but what an absolute fool,if he sat near me fishing i'd have to wear blinkers and ear muffs...

He likes touching other men...alot!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Does anyone here fancy making an angling program, what would you film and how would you handle it?
I have thought about it a few times in the past but would be nervous of making a fool of myself or making something boring. I am not sure my London twang would not irritate some. Be interesting to see what would be said though, would I like it considering some of the comments made, I might have to develop a harder skin. I don't think my angling is interesting enough as it stands at present.
But what do you think, would you make one? What would you film, just out of interest.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats killed it for me, thanks alot, now I am going to have put my fingers over my eyes or turn it off.

Hahaha, yup, it doesn't bear thinking about does it ?.

Regardimg making a video, I think to make a decent kind'a vid you need someone to do at least some of the videoing.
You wouldn't need to worry about it being boring as it would be edited.
Smeone once posted a video on FM which a chap had made himself, no music, just his comments and the natural sights and sounds and his video was enjoyable. He was mooching on tiny streems and then trotting for grayling on a river...?

Molehill

Reaction score
It all depends what people want from an angling program, as it needs viewers and to make money - as in selling the series - presuming it is made for commercial telly. Even the BBC are accountable to figures.
Unfortunately what us "oldies" (and some not so old) want to watch and what the rest of next generation anglers want are now far apart, they want action and plenty of it.
I suppose Mortimer and Whitehouse were in the right direction, but they weren't for me, actually couldn't stand them, but that's TV celebrities playing to the camera. First mistake!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It all depends what people want from an angling program, as it needs viewers and to make money - as in selling the series - presuming it is made for commercial telly. Even the BBC are accountable to figures.
Unfortunately what us "oldies" (and some not so old) want to watch and what the rest of next generation anglers want are now far apart, they want action and plenty of it.
I suppose Mortimer and Whitehouse were in the right direction, but they weren't for me, actually couldn't stand them, but that's TV celebrities playing to the camera. First mistake!

I only watched one bit of a Mortimer and Whitehouse programe and that was more than enought, like you I just don't like 'em, at all.